Dogs...wonderful

Chat about just about anything else
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Dogs...wonderful

Post by MurphCID » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:48 am

Dog lover here. We have two rescue dogs (a golden retriever mix, and a wire-haired dachsund). Both are great dogs, love them. I saw that Donald Trump just announced that they were looking at a Goldendoodle for Barron, and that is a dog which has intrigued me for a while. No shedding, and great personality. Both my dogs have great personalities, which makes me think of that. We tend to get shelter and rescue dogs, just because they need a "forever" home, and we have, with one exception, been extremely lucky in our dogs.

What dogs do the other dog lovers here have?

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Dogs...wonderful

Post by altair4 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:04 am

I also have a rescue dog.

She was labelled as a "lab mix" but based on her appearance she seems to be a combination of:

Boxer
German Shepherd
Chow
Maybe Labrador
And perhaps a soupcon of Pit Bull.

I imagine this is what would happen if the many breeds are placed on a deserted island and left alone for five dog generations.

The Good: Smartest dog I ever encountered.
The Bad: Smartest dog I ever encountered.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:44 am

My very best friend is a Dobermann. As very most dogs for their owners - the best dog ever. She is lying on my side and if a type to much here without paying the needed attention to her she reminds me, that she is still there and still alive. If there is any thing I cannot live without: She is it. Just now she is looking into my eyes and she is happy, if I whisper something to her.

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:42 am

We have two dogs, an abused boxer-mix sweetie-pie 'rescue' from the pound and a rambunctious Border Collie mix who found us just outside the Navajo reservation. Unusual for a 'res dog', he seems to think every person is his best friend but really hates cats, crows and other large birds; though full-grown he'd never been on a leash or in a house or car before...rather like a friendly wild animal.

Edit: "Man punches a kangaroo in the face to rescue his dog"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRT7lf8byw
These wild-pig hunting dogs were afraid of the kangaroo!

Edit:
Last edited by Flemur on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:34 pm

Our dogs.jpg
This photo was taken several years ago. Much gray has set in on both dogs.
pupp1.JPG
Dobies are the cutest puppies!
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

tenfoot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tenfoot » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:52 pm

Have had rescue dogs most of my life but recently had two rehomes, both Italian Spinones. First was Albert, who came to me at the age of five He died in 2011 at the age of 13. In 2010 I also took in Jordan, who is now nine years of age. Pictures of both are attached./rimg]e.[rimg][
tenfoot
Death does not send a letter giving three week' notice. It arrives when you are eating raspberry sweets (Lars Mytting - The Sixteen Trees on the Somme)

Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Try'n 2 Learn » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:29 pm

BEWARE DOG OWNERS! Over-sized jumping jack-rabbit are trying to put the loving on your dogs in the bush!

viral vid example.

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:13 am

Love this twitter site: https://twitter.com/dog_feelings Mine are getting old, and it saddens me.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:23 am

Try'n 2 Learn wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:29 pm
BEWARE DOG OWNERS! Over-sized jumping jack-rabbit are trying to put the loving on your dogs in the bush!

viral vid example.
lol
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Portreve
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Portreve » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:03 pm

My feline overlord won't let me have pets of my own. :(
Peoples of the universe, please attend carefully: the message which follows is vital to the future of you all.

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:10 pm

Had a chocolate lab for 7 years. I named him Duke. He weighed 112 pounds at his heaviest but his perfect weight was 100 pounds. We had to say goodbye 2 years ago because he was having seizures and the medications just weren't effective. He was the greatest dog I ever had. He loved everyone, loved car rides, loved walks, just loved being with his family. I still miss him.

We just got a black lab and he's named Bruno. (I wanted to name him Thor but got overruled. He's still not "Bruno" to me.) He's going through the puppy I-have-to-chew-on-everything-because-its-there stage. You can only puppy-proof so much and he will find what isn't. I'm sure next year at this time we'll be laughing at all of the damage he's done but it will be worth it. He is my dog, after all.

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:29 pm

We have lost many "family members" over the years, and we always go find a new family member to take their place. The last one was a big Saint Bernard, loveable little beast, but head strong to a fault. If he got loose from the yard or leash, he was gone and won't come home until he is full of cockle burrs....

I well remember one night walking him about Dark Thirty and more, a deer flashed by under the Night Lights that I have installed courtesy of the Power Company.... That St. Bernard put me on my ass right now, and disappeared going across the highway and followed that deer into the farmer's hayfield...... it was an hour before he came trotting back, all full of himself and happy to see us.....
Of course, I wanted to give him a belt, but he would not understand why....

Just changed my avatar to show off our latest find, she is a pure bred Great Pyrenees from a big ranch west of us. They raise them to guard their cattle, and they are bred for doing that. Our little "Missy" never gets outside the cyclone fenced yard ( 300x300 feet )... except for times like the St. Bernard has done.... Missy can run about 40 mph and catching her can't be done.... you have to clap your hands and keep calling "Get in the House" and eventually, after running full circle around our six acres to make sure no intruders are threatening us, she comes running up to us all happy....

the strangest thing is, she never smiles like our other dog.... the 2nd family member is a cross between a chow/Shepard/Heinz 57..... she is the happiest thing you ever saw, always smiling and wants to be at our feet.

the Great Pyrenees wants to be Under Your Feet, and will go to great lengths to be sure that she can get under our feet..... :D

lsemmens
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lsemmens » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:20 pm

We had a Ridgeback Cross that wandered into our yard one day and never left. At the time he was scrawny and riddled with ticks. We suspect he was a camp dog, anyway we fed him and cleaned him up. He remained with us for over 10 years. The dog did not think of himself as anything other than one of the family. Living in Darwin we'd yell out to the kids, line up on the back verandah for ice-creams. Around would come Rusty (the dog) and join the line. He would patiently wait in line, wouldn't let anyone push in in front of him, but would not push in himself. Give him his ice-cream and he'd sit there and lick it and savour every last drop, just like a kid, no, "one gulp and it's gone" for him. On fireworks night he'd get very stroppy if you locked him in the yard whilst you set off the fireworks. He had to come and sit with us until the entire show was over.

He was a one of a kind, sadly, cancer got him, and now, we cannot reliably be home to tend or feed a pet these days. We do have a cat, but even that is a problem, because someone has to feed it when we are not there.
Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 4Gb RAM
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Linux Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

wallyUSA
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wallyUSA » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:35 pm

We have two Welsh Springer Spaniels. Referred to as "Velcro Dogs" because they have a tendency to stick to you.
Tara Cinnamon 3.8.9 Kernel 4.15.0-36 (64 bit)
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

Return to “Open chat”