Dogs...wonderful

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Dogs...wonderful

Post by MurphCID »

Dog lover here. We have two rescue dogs (a golden retriever mix, and a wire-haired dachsund). Both are great dogs, love them. I saw that Donald Trump just announced that they were looking at a Goldendoodle for Barron, and that is a dog which has intrigued me for a while. No shedding, and great personality. Both my dogs have great personalities, which makes me think of that. We tend to get shelter and rescue dogs, just because they need a "forever" home, and we have, with one exception, been extremely lucky in our dogs.

What dogs do the other dog lovers here have?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Dogs...wonderful

Post by altair4 »

I also have a rescue dog.

She was labelled as a "lab mix" but based on her appearance she seems to be a combination of:

Boxer
German Shepherd
Chow
Maybe Labrador
And perhaps a soupcon of Pit Bull.

I imagine this is what would happen if the many breeds are placed on a deserted island and left alone for five dog generations.

The Good: Smartest dog I ever encountered.
The Bad: Smartest dog I ever encountered.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

My very best friend is a Dobermann. As very most dogs for their owners - the best dog ever. She is lying on my side and if a type to much here without paying the needed attention to her she reminds me, that she is still there and still alive. If there is any thing I cannot live without: She is it. Just now she is looking into my eyes and she is happy, if I whisper something to her.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

We have two dogs, an abused boxer-mix sweetie-pie 'rescue' from the pound and a rambunctious Border Collie mix who found us just outside the Navajo reservation. Unusual for a 'res dog', he seems to think every person is his best friend but really hates cats, crows and other large birds; though full-grown he'd never been on a leash or in a house or car before...rather like a friendly wild animal.

Edit: "Man punches a kangaroo in the face to rescue his dog"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRT7lf8byw
These wild-pig hunting dogs were afraid of the kangaroo!

Edit:
Last edited by Flemur on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Our dogs.jpg
This photo was taken several years ago. Much gray has set in on both dogs.
pupp1.JPG
Dobies are the cutest puppies!
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Have had rescue dogs most of my life but recently had two rehomes, both Italian Spinones. First was Albert, who came to me at the age of five He died in 2011 at the age of 13. In 2010 I also took in Jordan, who is now nine years of age. Pictures of both are attached./rimg]e.[rimg][
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Try'n 2 Learn

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

BEWARE DOG OWNERS! Over-sized jumping jack-rabbit are trying to put the loving on your dogs in the bush!

viral vid example.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Love this twitter site: https://twitter.com/dog_feelings Mine are getting old, and it saddens me.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Try'n 2 Learn wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:29 pm BEWARE DOG OWNERS! Over-sized jumping jack-rabbit are trying to put the loving on your dogs in the bush!

viral vid example.
lol
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

My feline overlord won't let me have pets of my own. :(
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Had a chocolate lab for 7 years. I named him Duke. He weighed 112 pounds at his heaviest but his perfect weight was 100 pounds. We had to say goodbye 2 years ago because he was having seizures and the medications just weren't effective. He was the greatest dog I ever had. He loved everyone, loved car rides, loved walks, just loved being with his family. I still miss him.

We just got a black lab and he's named Bruno. (I wanted to name him Thor but got overruled. He's still not "Bruno" to me.) He's going through the puppy I-have-to-chew-on-everything-because-its-there stage. You can only puppy-proof so much and he will find what isn't. I'm sure next year at this time we'll be laughing at all of the damage he's done but it will be worth it. He is my dog, after all.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

We have lost many "family members" over the years, and we always go find a new family member to take their place. The last one was a big Saint Bernard, loveable little beast, but head strong to a fault. If he got loose from the yard or leash, he was gone and won't come home until he is full of cockle burrs....

I well remember one night walking him about Dark Thirty and more, a deer flashed by under the Night Lights that I have installed courtesy of the Power Company.... That St. Bernard put me on my ass right now, and disappeared going across the highway and followed that deer into the farmer's hayfield...... it was an hour before he came trotting back, all full of himself and happy to see us.....
Of course, I wanted to give him a belt, but he would not understand why....

Just changed my avatar to show off our latest find, she is a pure bred Great Pyrenees from a big ranch west of us. They raise them to guard their cattle, and they are bred for doing that. Our little "Missy" never gets outside the cyclone fenced yard ( 300x300 feet )... except for times like the St. Bernard has done.... Missy can run about 40 mph and catching her can't be done.... you have to clap your hands and keep calling "Get in the House" and eventually, after running full circle around our six acres to make sure no intruders are threatening us, she comes running up to us all happy....

the strangest thing is, she never smiles like our other dog.... the 2nd family member is a cross between a chow/Shepard/Heinz 57..... she is the happiest thing you ever saw, always smiling and wants to be at our feet.

the Great Pyrenees wants to be Under Your Feet, and will go to great lengths to be sure that she can get under our feet..... :D
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

We had a Ridgeback Cross that wandered into our yard one day and never left. At the time he was scrawny and riddled with ticks. We suspect he was a camp dog, anyway we fed him and cleaned him up. He remained with us for over 10 years. The dog did not think of himself as anything other than one of the family. Living in Darwin we'd yell out to the kids, line up on the back verandah for ice-creams. Around would come Rusty (the dog) and join the line. He would patiently wait in line, wouldn't let anyone push in in front of him, but would not push in himself. Give him his ice-cream and he'd sit there and lick it and savour every last drop, just like a kid, no, "one gulp and it's gone" for him. On fireworks night he'd get very stroppy if you locked him in the yard whilst you set off the fireworks. He had to come and sit with us until the entire show was over.

He was a one of a kind, sadly, cancer got him, and now, we cannot reliably be home to tend or feed a pet these days. We do have a cat, but even that is a problem, because someone has to feed it when we are not there.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

We have two Welsh Springer Spaniels. Referred to as "Velcro Dogs" because they have a tendency to stick to you.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Wow, mine are getting old fast, the golden is showing her age, and it saddens me.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Code: Select all

Donna
27.1.2011 - 11.2.2019
I miss you so much :cry: :cry: :cry:
Cosmo. wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:44 am My very best friend is a Dobermann. As very most dogs for their owners - the best dog ever. She is lying on my side and if a type to much here without paying the needed attention to her she reminds me, that she is still there and still alive. If there is any thing I cannot live without: She is it. Just now she is looking into my eyes and she is happy, if I whisper something to her.
I am so sad. My room is so empty. I knew, that this would happen, but I did always think, that it would be only in a few years, when we have to separate.

Donna died because of a sudden heart attack, something not so uncommon for Dobermann dogs. The good thing in her case: She was healthy until their last minutes and so she had no pain and no fear. We had been on our walk and Donna was happy and engaged as always. Suddenly she sat down, then she lay down, looked to me, than she died, with her master as the very last object she saw in her life.

In the last year I told about Donna:
Cosmo. wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:48 am She claimed my attention from the first day and did not give me much time for my sorrow. I know, that this situation will reoccur in some years and I try, not to think about it. But until this inevitable day will come she makes me happy every day - one thing I do not want to miss. And I see, that she feels happy also on my side. So a clear case of a win-win situation.
I did not think, that only 1 year later this inevitable day would come.
Donna was the one really loyal and honest friend to me. She was my partner. She was - and will foreveer be in my memory - the most important part of my life.
Cosmo. wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:53 am
rumpus wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:06 am This is an article I have kept for many years. For dog lovers... Dog's Prayer

By Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, or though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside...for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements...and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth...though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the sofest pillow inthe warmest home in all the land...for you are my god...and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry. I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not trun me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands. r
People who know me do also know, that I usually hate full quotes. But here I cannot resist and have to do an exception. It is so wonderful.

A big thank you - from me and from my four legged lady!
I thank rumpus again for providing Dog's Prayer. Reading it again is as if Donna would be talking to me. I hear her saying "Master, I had to leave this big gap in your life and I know, that you will give another dog the empty place, which you have now. Please give my successor the same patience and love, which you gave to me and you will be an even greater master. With your love and attention every year we were able to share counts as two. In this sense our common time was not so short as it seems at first."
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thank you for posting that.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:40 am I am so sad. My room is so empty. I knew, that this would happen, but I did always think, that it would be only in a few years, when we have to separate.
Cosmo., I'm very sorry for your loss. You have my heartfelt sympathy. :cry:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus »

Cosmo,,,,,,,I feel sad that you have lost your beloved companion. I have never found another creature on earth

that gives their all, willingly, and expects so little in return as a dog.

I;m sorry for your loss.......r
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

My buddy dogs are suddenly looking older, lots of grey, and it worries me.

Return to “Open Chat”