A riddle

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Re: A riddle

Post by slipstick »

OK, let's change the game a little bit. Let's say there are 1,000,000 doors, with 999,999 goats and only 1 car. After you choose, the host opens all the doors except the one you chose and the one with the car. Do you still think your odds of winning the car are 50% by sticking with your original choice?
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

OK, let's change the game a little bit. Let's say there are 1,000,000 doors, with 999,999 goats and only 1 car. After you choose, the host opens all the doors except the one you chose and the one with the car. Do you still think your odds of winning the car are 50% by sticking with your original choice?
Good point, although I suspect you mean the one with the 999,999/1,000,000 chance of a car. I think I'd switch!
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

greerd wrote:
Good point, although I suspect you mean the one with the 999,999/1,000,000 chance of a car. I think I'd switch!
I'll rephrase the question:
OK, let's change the game a little bit. Let's say there are 1,000,000 doors, with 999,999 goats and only 1 car. After you choose, the host opens 999,998 doors, each with a goat behind it. He does not open the door you originally chose or the door with the car. Whether you originally chose the car or a goat, there are only two closed doors remaining, one with a car and one with a goat. Do you still think your odds of winning the car are 50% by sticking with your original choice?
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

@slipstick, the million doors finally pounded it through my thick skull, I can't argue that, good point, the coup de grâce!
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

"B...b...but slipstick! I'm going to come into the studio WITHOUT KNOWING about the 999,998 doors opened. Now I have a 50% chance of choosing between doors."
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

greerd wrote:@slipstick, the million doors finally pounded it through my thick skull, I can't argue that, good point, the coup de grâce!
I was leaning, but still clinging.

If it were a lottery ticket with micro odds and I was offered the opportunity to exchange my ticket
for a guaranteed 50/50 chance of being the winner--I would do it.

So there must be a mathematical advantage with odds of 1/3 however miniscule
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

We're lucky! The only explanation for this that makes total sense was posted today:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

:lol: If only we had known!
Tech Freak

Post by Tech Freak »

Moem wrote:We're lucky! The only explanation for this that makes total sense was posted today:

Great explanation!!!

Return to “Open Chat”