Good spending ideas for a Geek with $100

Chat about just about anything else
cpytron
Level 1
Level 1

Good spending ideas for a Geek with $100

Post by cpytron » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:26 pm

Hello world!

I am currently in possession of $100, and I would like to buy something useful.
I am also teaching myself programming. My newest book is "Python Crash Course" by Matthes.

I am looking for things like A)Cheap laptop, B)Cheap or old Desktop, C)Android tablet, D)Programming books & related.

It needs to be fully operable with the $100 spending budget. For example, I cannot buy an old-school desktop and not have any money left-
for a monitor and keyboard. However, if I could turn the said "old desktop" into a media-server for my smart TV and use a HDMI cable to mirror-
the screen and watch YouTube and Netflix, this would be a plus.

I am looking for a good project or something tech related to spend my money on. I would absolutely love a cheap laptop, but I also know $100 isn't really a lot.
Maybe and old Lenovo? Maybe? ...

I am interested to hear what other people would do if they had $100 to spend on tech stuff.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Good spending ideas for a Geek with $100

Post by jimallyn » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:41 am

I'd probably buy an SSD - Solid State Drive. Man those suckers are fast. Or perhaps upgrade my computer with more memory. I'm sure I could figure out plenty of things to spend it on!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:19 am

Maybe the $100 should just stay in your pocket. Just the impression I get from your post.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:22 am

I think an older Thinkpad would serve you well.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:50 am

cpytron wrote:I am interested to hear what other people would do if they had $100 to spend on tech stuff.
$50.oo to https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
and
$50.oo on Option D, books.

Since ya asked. ;)

cpytron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cpytron » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:10 am

Moem wrote:I think an older Thinkpad would serve you well.
what models should I look at and where to find them?

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:19 am

cpytron wrote:
Moem wrote:I think an older Thinkpad would serve you well.
what models should I look at and where to find them?
That depends a whole lot on where in the world you are. I mean, I would hit Marktplaats, but you may not live in the same country as I. :wink:

As for models, again that depends: how portable would you like your Thinkpad to be? If the answer is 'very', look for the most recent model (or the best specs) in the X-series that you can find. An X61 laptop (preferrably with 4GB of RAM) would be a very solid option.
If you want a larger screen, look at the T-series, and again get the most recent model or best specs that you can afford.

If you have any budget left over, stick an SSD in.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:12 pm

If you live in the Portland Oregon area. There is at least one store that sells used laptops for $20 to $200. Of course the $20 units are scraptopsand need a wallwart and a hard drive. Sometimes they might need additional parts, but that is a rarity. Load it up with Linux mint and they just run. Myself I have done over 40 this last year. I boot it to a flash drive before buying. I also check out the WIFI. HDD are $20, and wallwarts are usually $15. The rest use as a donation to Linux.

TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TooMuchTime » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:44 am

On Amazon:

Desktop
Laptop
MacBook

Craigslist

Laptop

Return to “Open chat”