Tor browser
No votes

Total votes: 105

Nili
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Chrome(ium) or Firefox? Poll.

Post by Nili » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:10 am

Started using Mozilla Firefox around 2006 until 2012 I have seen all sorts of wonders from Firefox so i had enough.

My main browser is Pale Moon. I would say Chrome/Chromium or Pale Moon.
- A violet in the youth of primy nature forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting. The perfume and suppliance of a minute, No more... - Audiophile [24bit/96kHz], FLAC, DeaDBeeF. - Herbstluftwm Fist! - Root heritage #!

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:22 am

Definitely Chrome. I have tried Firefox a couple of times but it has never been my browser. Just simple things as:
  • clicking once in the address-bar and in Chrome the whole address is selected so I can type a new in over the old one. In Firefox I first have to select the old address.
  • Some always used addons just don't work that good in Firefox as similar do in Chrome.
No, Firefox still has to go along way before it can come close.

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:37 am

Firefox isn't perfect, but I certainly don't like the spying of Google Chrome. Chromium is a better option to Chrome. Just my opinion ;)
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:46 am

Voted for Firefox as my primary browser. I am still a die-hard fan of this browser.
Admittedly it is extensions like Classic Theme Restorer and Classic Toolbar Buttons which improve the Firefox look & feel substantially. I have never been a fan of the Mozilla attempts at making Firefox look like a Google Chrome clone.
Consistently, my secondary browser is Pale Moon, mildly pimped up by the Camimoon theme.
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Drygar_2016
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar_2016 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Main browser is Mozilla's Firefox

As a backup I have Midori.

Reason: open source, works great so far, no spyware stuff. Chrome/Chromium have had too many security and privacy issues in the past. Chromium has permanent non-breakable connection with 1e100 (Google servers) no matter what you do or do not.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Moem wrote:None of the above... 8)
You followed up already (darn it!) but this response reminded me for some reason of the following xkcd comic:

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Xi does look like Winnie the Pooh. FTCG.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Nice one. :mrgreen:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Lemongrass38
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lemongrass38 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:48 am

Drygar_2016 wrote:Chrome/Chromium have had too many security and privacy issues in the past.
Drygar_2016 wrote:Chromium has permanent non-breakable connection with 1e100 (Google servers) no matter what you do or do not.
Could you give us a few links regarding these issues, please? I'm mostly interested in the second statement (connection with Google).

Thanks in advance! :)
If your issue is solved, please be so kind and indicate that by editing the topic title in the first post. :)

George99
Level 3
Level 3

Post by George99 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:30 pm

Mostly Chrome, sometimes Firefox. Chrome plays Netflix on Linux, Firefox doesn't.

Lemongrass38
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lemongrass38 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:04 pm

I've just set up a new Firefox profile for those sites where I prefer to stay logged in instead of Chromium... I really like the idea of Firefox not owned by any company. This is one of the main reasons for me to use it. And Linux Mint too.

Anyways, this thread turned out to be interesting. :) It seems, more people use the open-source browsers in Linux than in Windows.
If your issue is solved, please be so kind and indicate that by editing the topic title in the first post. :)

BEeK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BEeK » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:29 pm

Google Chrome... those who work at it know how to make a good browser.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:19 pm

DeMus wrote:
I have tried Firefox a couple of times but it has never been my browser. Just simple things as:

• clicking once in the address-bar and in Chrome the whole address is selected so I can type a new in over the old one. In Firefox I first have to select the old address.
That can be easily fixed in about:config
BEeK wrote:
Google Chrome... those who work at it know how to make a good browser.
I would argue that point. It's not that Google knows how to make a good browser. It's the fact that since it is the most used browser, most websites are written to cater to it.

NoWinBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoWinBob » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:23 pm

Chrome all the way.What can I say?I'm used to it.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:19 am

Firefox because I'm used to it. Google Chrome for watching Netflix even though for a while now that is possible from Firefox as well (currently you need to change your user agent, as it isn't on the Netflix supported list even though it just works). It doubles as my backup browser if anything goes boink with Firefox.

linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:25 pm

I voted for FF, but lately I've been experimenting with Chromium (32-bit) and find that it actually runs smoother and eats up noticeably less memory than FF. I only use a few extensions, which are also available on Chromium. I don't really care much about themes except I try to use dark whenever possible. which is one reason I love Duckduckgo.
For reading news, lately I've been trying lynx, the terminal browser, since I don't usually need images/graphics when keeping up with the news. Being able to customize my terminal to read gray-white text on a dark-gray background is a welcomed rest for my aging eyes.
It's so great to have so many choices that we get with Linux!

fstjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fstjohn » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:21 pm

My main is Vivaldi simply because I can configure it to do almost anything I want to do. It just keeps getting better and better with each update. For awhile I only used it occasionally because it took almost a minute to open Lastpass, but it got fixed. I use Chromium and Chrome as well, and Firefox occasionally. Depends if Vivaldi stumbles on a site. I use Vivaldi webmail as well as my main mail server.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:36 pm

There was a forum post on "otther" browsers. This one was mentinoed. I tried it and use it as main browser.

https://www.brave.com/

Midori only on the netbook and backup for Brave.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

Royal-Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Royal-Mint » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:08 am

It's boring when the conversation fling back to Firefox.
Because firefox is mostly a default primary Linux web browser as an IE on Windows.
Also it's laggy than Firefox when drawing on html5 paint online.
But support html5 game visual novel complete than Chromium based

Chromium based and all I'd recommend from those who're pro at desktop app users to survive along with Linux.
I've screen recorder with need to install from repository thanks to Chrome, Chromium.
With Arc Welder can install and run some apk softwares & games.
Regular desktop users won't understand why desktop apps from Chrome & Chromium based browser is damn useful.
For those make fun of Chrome ram heavy consuming should have own Chromebook or training to survive on Chrome OS at least once.
Chrome possessed many useful desktop app applications but there're many monkeys that don't know the true value of this gem.
I've read every comments on every apps on Web Store users over there are gave their feedback seriously.
Also I used to do survival training by simulate myself using all Chrome applications like Chrome OS users it's kind of fun.

If I really want a lightweight web browser from just browsing I'd pick Qupzilla consume less than FF & Chromium based.

tark90
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tark90 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:01 am

I voted for FireFox. I use it mostly on my work laptop (Win7) and all my machines at home (Mac, Mint, and Win10). The reason I stick with it so much is because I have my bookmarks sorted the way I want and I just export / import them to the machines I use. I'm not a fan of Chrome because in my experience it seemed to be a resource hog and I went to FF because of it. I haven't truly tested or used it since.

However there is some interesting choices in this thread I might be downloading.. Vivaldi looks fun.

Drygar_2016
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar_2016 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Lemongrass38 wrote:
Drygar_2016 wrote:Chrome/Chromium have had too many security and privacy issues in the past.
Drygar_2016 wrote:Chromium has permanent non-breakable connection with 1e100 (Google servers) no matter what you do or do not.
Could you give us a few links regarding these issues, please? I'm mostly interested in the second statement (connection with Google).

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi Lemongrass38,
Sorry for the delay.

Here you are:
> viewtopic.php?f=47&t=219453
> http://superuser.com/questions/75841/wh ... open-to-it

I suggest you install Chromium (legitimate ones from Ubuntu repos), start Chromium without even opening any page, you may even disable every visible options in the GUI, and then type this from Terminal
sudo netstat -t -u -c -p

You will see yourself that Chromium (the free opensource ones) has constant ongoing connections to Google servers. This ia feature which may be disabled but Debian developers didn't care to take time to check which part of the codes is responsible for that and eliminate it. By default, we use the Debian version of Chromium. More info in ... :) Google search :)

Return to “Open chat”