Football talk

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Football talk

Post by Fred Barclay »

Schultz wrote: It seems to me, from the little I've seen of it, that Australian Rules Football is like a cross of American Football and Soccer. Would you say my description is accurate or not, Fred?
I think that's a decent description (though I've watched less than an hour of soccer my entire life so I might not be the best person to ask :lol:)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

American football both college and the NFL (presently three in the NFL) is seeing an influx of Australian Punters. It seems from an article I read recently that kicking is an integral part of Australian football - supposedly from the time they are little kids they are kicking the ball as the play all time time - not dribbling the ball soccer style but more like we punt in American football. Soccer players have taken over as field goal/kick off kickers in American football. Australian football players will take over as punters. As a side note - typically kickers avoid contact at all costs - this season I was watching a college football game (can't remember the team) that had an Australian punter - he was big - the announcers were commenting how he was also down on the depth chart as a Defensive End (to give you an idea how big and athletic he was). Anyway on one of his punts he knocked the return guy out of bounds with a huge hit. Imagine the advantage of having a punter who is fast and can hit not just punt the ball. Also this season I saw an Australian punter do something I have never seen before - he kicked the ball while running sideways and instead of a towering punt with lots of hang time he kind of kicked the ball low and made the ball bounce along the ground so the receiving team could not make a good return - kind of like an on-sides kick but a punt. How do you teach that????
deleted

Post by deleted »

^ but does the ball spiral the other way when kicked by an Australian punter? ;)
-H
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

hinto wrote:^ but does the ball spiral the other way when kicked by an Australian punter? ;)
-H
Only when playing below the equator :wink:
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I get winded just watching soccer. They do a serious amount of running.

I can honestly say in my travels around the country there is one fan base that stands above the rest. No matter what city or state. At any sports bar on gameday you will see in packs, jerseys for THE Ohio State Buckeyes.

This is coming from an Irish fan who lives in Ohio.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Citizen229 wrote:... jerseys for THE Ohio State Buckeyes.
Who watched Clemson destroy them in the Fiesta Bowl, 31-0. :shock:

Joe
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I didnt watch it. I knew it was bad with all the Pooh-Pooh boo-hoing going on it was bad. We actually go grocery shopping when the buckeyes play. My little town turns into a ghost town for about 4 hours.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I watched it and the Championship game as well - I loved the Clemson coach going off on Colin Cowherd for calling Clemson a fraud after the game.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

Decided to animate a flag for the occasion. Go Pats!!!
Pats_flag1.gif
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

It seems to me, from the little I've seen of it, that Australian Rules Football is like a cross of American Football and Soccer.
From what I've seen of Australian Rules Football I would have to say it's more like Rugby and American Football. And I REALLY like Footy. And Rugby. Soccer, with a possibility of a "nil-nil" tie is not my idea of fun. Soccer needs a shot clock like basketball. Put it in the net or hit the goal frame or the the opponent gets the ball.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I always liked the Pats - Belichick is a genius and Tom Brady may be if not the best QB ever certainly one of the top three or four ever (the best ever in sports arguments are unwinnable). It is amazing that Brady is 39 and in better physical condition then he was when he was 25. As far as the Pats cheating - go to http://yourteamcheats.com/ web site - it lists and rates every NFL team according to their cheating scandals (at least the ones when they have been caught) The Pats are average cheaters, about the same as my Eagles. The Broncos are by far the biggest cheaters - twice as bad as the Pats. Actually the Falcons are slightly bigger cheats than the Patriots. The Cardinals cheat the least, or should I say have been caught cheating the least. Oh and by the way - a former Eagles QB admitted that the Eagles deflated the ball when he was playing back in the 90s - according to him it was and is common

"I'm just going to let the cat of the bag, every team does it, every game, it has been since I played, "Cause when you take the balls out of the bag, they are rock hard. And you can't feel the ball as well. It's too hard". Blake says that he'd order ball boys to let air out of his footballs just before the start of games during his entire NFL career, which included time with the Eagles in 2004."

All that said and since I am not really a fanboy or hater of either the Pats or the Falcons I am pulling for the under dog in this SB.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

I won't comment on "InflateGate" untill after the SuperBowl. My team is playing in the Super Bowl and I want to stay in that ultimate high. Rest assured I will have plenty to say after the Big Game.

Nuff' said........ :mrgreen:
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

Maybe a bit of topic, but I thought super bowl might be perfect time time to test Opera. nfl.com website works fine, GO TEAM! :lol:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I'll go ahead and post a bit of cheer for my team.

Go Falcons!
14-0... keep it up!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Well, that was... interesting. :shock:
- Albert Einstein
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

incredible comeback--wow
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

That was a fail of epic proportions.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Believe it.
You don't make mistakes when playing the Pats.

L
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

Amazing, truly amazing! I think the outstanding Edleman catch was the back breaker.....
deleted

Post by deleted »

^ I agree.
-H

Return to “Open Chat”