Netflix Discussion

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Divine_Serpent

Netflix Discussion

Post by Divine_Serpent »

So, Firefox has recently added Netflix support (even though it still has to have user agent overrider) and Chrome has been playing it. With that said, I'm about to cozy up soon and find something to watch. I was thinking of binge watching Inuyasha and relive my childhood to an extent. I'd like to hear some of your suggestions. What did/do you enjoy seeing on Netflix?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Netflix Discussion

Post by MintBean »

I like a decent zombie movie. I think the 'Dawn of the Dead' remake was on there last time I looked. Not bad as remakes go.

As an aside, if you want to see Netflix properly support Firefox, please give Netflix a call and ask them to add acceptance of a 'Netflix on Ubuntu/Linux Mint' user agent string. The more who call, the more likely it is to happen.
Divine_Serpent

Post by Divine_Serpent »

MintBean wrote:I like a decent zombie movie. I think the 'Dawn of the Dead' remake was on there last time I looked. Not bad as remakes go.

As an aside, if you want to see Netflix properly support Firefox, please give Netflix a call and ask them to add acceptance of a 'Netflix on Ubuntu/Linux Mint' user agent string. The more who call, the more likely it is to happen.
Already sent the email. I may send more and make actual phone calls if need be. Its very frustrating :cry:
I have never heard of Dawn of the Dead before now, but I am interested. Nothing better than a big glass of Coca-Cola and a good zombie flick.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

I always watch Netflix on my TV via Roku.

These are some shows I've particularly enjoyed (in no particular order):

Drama (most of these are series)
----------
Bloodline
Breaking Bad
Longmire
The Killing
Mad Men
The Fall
Henning Mankell's Wallander
Dragon Tattoo Trilogy
American Odyssey
Occupied
Hinterland
Dicte
The Assets
Marcella
River
The Lava Field
Nobel

Docudrama

Documentary:
--------------------
Generation War
The Heavy Water War
The Story of Maths
The Sixties
Titanic's Final Mystery
Auschwitz: the n a z i s and the final solution (can't believe the forum censored that n-word)
Stephen Fry in America
Plane Resurrection
The Witness (documentary about Kitty Genovese)
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Divine_Serpent wrote:Already sent the email. I may send more and make actual phone calls if need be. Its very frustrating :cry:
Thanks buddy. The community needs more like you; it's all too easy to say 'I've overcome this problem for myself' and leave it at that. When I phoned they said they were aware and working on support, however it really is just one or two lines of code change so I don't see why it's taking.
I have never heard of Dawn of the Dead before now, but I am interested. Nothing better than a big glass of Coca-Cola and a good zombie flick.
Also check out the original 1978 version if you haven't. Don't let the cheap effects and the extremely poor first 15-20 minutes put you off. It improves massively and if you like to see people acting intelligently rather than running and screaming, it will deliver. You MUST watch the director's cut though. The additional material really impacts the tone of the movie.
Last edited by MintBean on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Divine_Serpent

Post by Divine_Serpent »

slipstick, that is a great list and a great recommendation resource! Thanks for posting this, I will be referencing this as time goes on.

MintBean, I have sent one email with no reply yet. I may send more. Its not going to kill them to spend 5 minutes adding a line of code to something to help the Linux community a bit, but its never that easy.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Divine_Serpent wrote:.... but its never that easy.
I know it! :D
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

Okay, technically a kids show - but I've been enjoying Trollhunters on Netflix.
Divine_Serpent

Post by Divine_Serpent »

mwbworld wrote:Okay, technically a kids show - but I've been enjoying Trollhunters on Netflix.
Trollhunters is a great show, even for adults. I enjoy a good anime from time to time as well as the occasional Disney/Pixar movie.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Divine_Serpent wrote:and Chrome has been playing it.
playing with what?
Chrome since 35.xxx has been Netflix capable.
Divine_Serpent

Post by Divine_Serpent »

Habitual wrote:
Divine_Serpent wrote:and Chrome has been playing it.
playing with what?
Chrome since 35.xxx has been Netflix capable.
Well, by saying "playing it", that's what I mean, that its capable.
Kevin19

Post by Kevin19 »

Our TCL TV has built in Netflix on it. And we love watching Netflix.

One of my top favorite on Netflix right now is Riverdale which originated from Archie comics but the genre of this Riverdale series actually a is mystery.

And talking about binge watching, here are some good suggestions; Arrow, Outlander, Daredevil, and Series of Unfortunate Events.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MintBean wrote:As an aside, if you want to see Netflix properly support Firefox, please give Netflix a call and ask them to add acceptance of a 'Netflix on Ubuntu/Linux Mint' user agent string. The more who call, the more likely it is to happen.
— and —
Divine_Serpent wrote:Already sent the email. I may send more and make actual phone calls if need be. Its very frustrating :cry:
No thanks. Not going to happen here. I'm not going to support Netflix's use of DRM. And frankly, I have other, better uses for that monthly fee money. Apart from simply "paying bills", I prefer my entertainment to exist IRL, and not on a tv screen.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Netflix has tons of series, but never seems to have any movies we look for; Amazon often has them but they want $ in addition to the Prime subscription, so we get them from the library.

In addition to slipstick's list (some of which I didn't like), "Bates Motel", old Twilight Zones, the Star Treks.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Flemur wrote:Netflix has tons of series, but never seems to have any movies we look for; Amazon often has them but they want $ in addition to the Prime subscription, so we get them from the library.

In addition to slipstick's list (some of which I didn't like), "Bates Motel", old Twilight Zones, the Star Treks.
Yeah, exactly. My local library system has thousands and thousands of DVDs and Blurays as well, so... no need to stream a lot of things.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
SamuraiMark

Post by SamuraiMark »

Divine_Serpent wrote:So, Firefox has recently added Netflix support (even though it still has to have user agent overrider) and Chrome has been playing it. With that said, I'm about to cozy up soon and find something to watch. I was thinking of binge watching Inuyasha and relive my childhood to an extent. I'd like to hear some of your suggestions. What did/do you enjoy seeing on Netflix?
And now Firefox 52 appears to have broken Netflix.
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

Netflix is working well in Firefox 52.0.2 and Firefox 52 ESR. No user agent string spoofing or Silverlight/Moonlight/Pipelight needed just enable DRM content in preferences. I have tested both versions of Firefox in a lot of linux virtual machines that I have just for testing.

Return to “Open Chat”