KBD47 wrote:To go even further:

Top 5 Rock songs ever

Tom Sawyer - Rush
Carry On - Kansas
Dream On - Aerosmith
Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
More Than A Feeling - Boston
I like your taste!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Greatest Rock and Roll band EVER!

Post by KBD47 »

JerryF wrote:
KBD47 wrote:To go even further:

Top 5 Rock songs ever

Tom Sawyer - Rush
Carry On - Kansas
Dream On - Aerosmith
Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
More Than A Feeling - Boston
I like your taste!
Thanks!

DeMus

Post by DeMus »

BigEasy wrote:Where is Beatles, Rolling stones, Creedence Clearwater Revival? :shock:
Oh, Creedence Clearwater Revival! It is greatest Rock'n'roll band. Every time I listen that cover my hair is rised.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeXqtzusIU0
You've got my vote.
The other bands mentioned here are not to my liking.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

I think just about anyone I could name as a personal favorite or what I think would be an ideal candidate has already been named.

It's hard for me to find "great" musicians these days because everything is so plastic and cheap, and just cheezy pop culture. It makes finding anyone, like for instance Joe Bonamassa, well beyond a diamond in the rough.

I was never really much of a fan of the Beatles, but to me that's more due to their performances. Personally, I think they were excellent song writers.

BTW, there's a guy named Leo Moracchioli who does the most amazing metal versions of songs. Not only does he have great talent in translating songs from their original genre to metal, but his performance videos are hysterical to watch.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Portreve wrote:BTW, there's a guy named Leo Moracchioli who does the most amazing metal versions of songs. Not only does he have great talent in translating songs from their original genre to metal, but his performance videos are hysterical to watch.
Wow. Thanks for that. That guy is wild. I might listen to all 158 of his covers. :mrgreen:
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Portreve wrote:...BTW, there's a guy named Leo Moracchioli who does the most amazing metal versions of songs. Not only does he have great talent in translating songs from their original genre to metal, but his performance videos are hysterical to watch.
Just watched a couple from Leo. He's fantastic!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn »

austin.texas wrote:I started thinking of the "Best R&R Band Ever" by decade.
The 50's: The King of Rock & Roll - Elvis Presley
The 60's: The Beatles
The 70's: Led Zepplin
The 80's: Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble
The 90's: Guns N Roses
The 00's: Split between Black and White - this spot shared by The Black Keys and The White Stripes. The millennials have their very own Frank Zappa in Jack White - amazing talent and shocking originality.
Current: Joe Bonnamassa - takes the "Guitar God" title away from Clapton, Van Halen, and even Stevie Ray.
When I see a title like "Greatest" I don't take it to mean "Your favorite". Part of greatest would probably be not just sales but influence on both what was happening then and what would come later. In that vein, I'd say your first three listed decades were spot on even if I personally think Presley is just okay. In the 70s it was Led Zep as greatest but if I am correct Elton John was bigger than some people remember in that decade but his influence on what came after wasn't nearly as impressive as Zep. The 70s may have been the biggest decade for The Rolling Stones but with their presence in the 60s and their staying power after the 70s I'd say they might be the one that completely defies the decade designation when talking "greatest".

For personal favorites I really don't know what I'd say for the 50s. In fact it may be the only decade where I might say my favorites aren't even in the field of rock. Maybe Chuck Berry is my favorite for the early days of rock.

60's remains The Beatles even when talking "favorite". When talking influential I can't think of a better example than The Beatles/John Lennon. Yeah, you have to add the "/John" since he was a strong influence on the other members and probably was a stronger influence on those that would come later than Paul but he probably wouldn't be memorable if it wasn't for the band.

70's I'd say it is a toss up between Zep and Pink Floyd but this is probably a tough decade to choose from since there was a lot of good rock even if disco reigned through most of the decade (I still can't figure out how). If you do consider disco a type of rock ABBA was undeniable as a contender but influence on what came later may be lacking. Ah wait, I was about to hit submit when I remembered Queen and Aerosmith. I know, these were in a way covered by acknowledging how impressive the decade itself was but they deserve individual mentioning. You'd think I was a certain age by my praising this decade and you'd be wrong.

80's is tough for greatest. U2 (though I never liked them apart from a few good songs) and Metallica seem to me to be in the top but we can't forget Prince hadn't gone off the deep end yet so he was still rock back then and had both the requirements of sales and influence. My personal preference would be Metallica or Billy Joel (stop looking at me like I'm crazy for saying to totally different types of rock). Plastic hair metal may have ruled that decade but it definitely wasn't the best stuff happening, just very marketable. Really, how many of those bands made music with staying power? In fact as the 90's started people were running away from that stuff even if it was fun for a short while.

Not sure I'd consider G 'N' R 90's but since their peak occurred in 2 decades I can see the argument for that decade but I'm not sure if they would fit "Greatest". I was still keeping up with trends at that time but I can't think of anyone that really stood out over the whole or even most of the decade. Though I liked Soundgarden and a few bits and pieces from other grunge acts, Nirvana and Grunge coupled with the rise of hiphop killed (or at least wounded) what I would consider to be true rock. Especially metal. I don't know how many rock fans I saw flock to the likes of Garth Brooks out of distaste for what rock had become.

I didn't keep up after that. Has rock ever had a resurgence of genuinely good stuff since then?

TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TooMuchTime »

Yeah, you have to add the "/John" since he was a strong influence on the other members...
Hmmm. Strange.

I read a book by the original manager of The Beatles, Allan Williams, named The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away. I can't remember which former member of the band said it, I believe it was one of the many pre-Ringo drummers, but he always thought that Paul was the leader and the most influential. I guess it just depends on who's doing the looking...

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Big Brother and the Holding Company is good, too.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

austin.texas wrote:Wow. Thanks for that. That guy is wild. I might listen to all 158 of his covers. :mrgreen:
JerryF wrote:Just watched a couple from Leo. He's fantastic!
Oh, I know. Leo's just nuts. His wife is a bass player and rocks some hard stuff in a metal band over there. She also plays in some of his videos. The only thing I can play on guitar is John Gage's 4'33".
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn »

TooMuchTime wrote:
Yeah, you have to add the "/John" since he was a strong influence on the other members...
Hmmm. Strange.

I read a book by the original manager of The Beatles, Allan Williams, named The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away. I can't remember which former member of the band said it, I believe it was one of the many pre-Ringo drummers, but he always thought that Paul was the leader and the most influential. I guess it just depends on who's doing the looking...
I'd go with what Paul said which he has acknowledged Lennon as the key influence on their song writing. I have also heard what you said about Paul being the leader in the beginning. Part of the comment about Lennon would not be memorable without the Beatles was meant to also acknowledge McCartney wrote more of their hits and the leadership role. I was surprised when I saw an interview with Paul saying that about John since after the break up Paul did the more experimental and original work (not always to good results - Wings).

I guess if a person really wants to know where additional credit goes to their success a person would be remiss to leave out the producer for most of their work, Martin, who Lennon spoke about very highly in the only source I ever saw of him talking about what made their songs what they were. But since McCartney also referred to Martin as the fifth Beatle maybe his comments about Lennon were more a matter of humility and willingness to give others credit.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Portreve wrote:The only thing I can play on guitar is John Gage's 4'33".
My friends and I used to jam on that all the time!

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 »

Is this a trick question?:P Cause the metal I used to listen too, is more like hard rock now adays. "And Justice for All"- greatest album ever made. And sadly more applicable to today than 1989 when it was released.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

The thread title mentions Rock'n'Roll band. Rock'n'Roll.
Checked both thread pages, but could not find their name. No British participating in this thread? :?
Their name was one of the first names that came to my mind: Status Quo
No idea whether they qualify as the greatest band ever. The answer solely depends on your point of view, I guess. Either you like the music or you don't. :wink:
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Damn, and all this time I thought Status Quo was a one-hit-wonder. Pictures of Matchstick Men is, as far as I know, the only song of theirs to chart in the U.S. A shame. Guess you know what I will be listening to the rest of the day.

English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

jimallyn wrote:Damn, and all this time I thought Status Quo was a one-hit-wonder. Pictures of Matchstick Men is, as far as I know, the only song of theirs to chart in the U.S. A shame. Guess you know what I will be listening to the rest of the day.
I thought Rockin' All Over the World was their main thing.

pacho37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pacho37 »

Apart from the 'usual suspects; i would like to mention Steely Dan. Kind of forgotten and maybe even obscure for most people, but what they created especially in the 70s is pretty much mindblowing. Apart from that the production/mixing/mastering on their albums is still considered unmatched.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64 Bit

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

From the space station, they might have seen San Antonio glowing last Sunday evening, because when Zakk Wylde got on stage he lit that place up! He is not quite the guitar player that Joe Bonamassa is, technically, but is an incredible showman - really knows how to get the crowd going... (and I was second row, center, 10 feet from the stage :D )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCP5t1N1D6s
Nobody but Zakk Wylde could get away with this: :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwhvFLHIlBs
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

I'm not a fan of everything you posted as bands, and I've never been to any concert. That's right. NEVER.
However, after having said that, my ear was stuck to a radio after I got one in high school.
So...whenever I hear or see the word 'rock' in conjunction with music, I *always* think of this!
Just because someone had to mention 'The John' I also was seemingly forced to remember from my high school days... I'm so dated...

Darn! The last part got edited out! I could have sworn it was a toilet flushing. I thought it was hilarious back in '74.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.

Return to “Open chat”