Musicians on here?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
bobruzzo2016

Musicians on here?

Post by bobruzzo2016 »

Hi....I am a musician who plays guitar, keyboards, bass guitar, and does production. Any other musicians on here who like jazz and who produce their own music? Well for grins and giggles here is my latest album. I played all instruments except drums. The music is basically "cue music" used for segments in films. But it is still pleasing to listen to. Mostly done all in melodic minor modes.

https://talismanbobruzzo.bandcamp.com/album/talisman
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Musicians on here?

Post by jimallyn »

Nice stuff, Bob. I am a musician, but I don't play jazz. My head just doesn't grok the chords and progressions. I haven't played in a while, but I play guitar, mandolin, and bass, and have run live sound and engineered a couple of albums. Here's some of my stuff:

http://allynelectronics.com/JimsSongs/

All "bedroom" recordings.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

I'm also a musician-- more of a hobbyist than professional grade, although I have done remixes for other groups. The music I make is decidedly electronic (synthpop with occasional forays into trance, Hi-NRG and industrial/EBM). However, I listen to much more than that, including jazz-- especially when it incorporates synthesizer elements like Paul Hardcastle's "Dance of the Wind", Kim Pensyl's "3 Day Weekend" or Nils' "Pacific Coast Highway."

Bob, your "Quiet Place" is right along that vein. Quite nice!
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

Nice music Bob. Reminds me of some Spyro Gyra, lighter fusion stuff. Enjoying it immensely, peace :-)
mariad_10

Post by mariad_10 »

Not a musician but yes have the love to sing sometimes. Never got to sing in front of the people, just a couple of friends sometimes.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I'm currently in the process of ripping my band's music from cassette tape to my main workstation. I've got about 30 hours ripped, with another 20-25 more hours to go. The recordings date as far back as 1985...miraculously, the tape hasn't disintegrated...largely due to proper storage and originally using quality tape. I'm keeping the master copy as WAV, then doing some simple edits and EQ'ing and re-encoding to FLAC and high bitrate MP3's for general listening.

Old-school punk. Think Killdozer/The Germs/Butthole Surfers...
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

MartyMint wrote:...miraculously, the tape hasn't disintegrated...
Tapes generally last a long time. There was a variety of tapes made a few decades ago that had problems with the oxide flaking off. These were mostly Scotch/Ampex tapes in quarter inch and wider formats. They could be rescued by baking them at 130 to 160 degrees F for anywhere from an hour to a day. This rebinds the oxide to the tape long enough to transfer to new digital storage formats. I still have cassettes (and quarter inch open reel tapes) I have had since the 1970s, and they play fine.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Faust

Post by Faust »

More of a dabbler than a musician .
I always loved synths , from the early days of Moog and Korg analogue machines .

I'm currently playing with ArtistX Linux which comes with a huge collection of synths , drum machines
mixers , recorders and much more .

Well worth a look for anyone who likes this kind of stuff .

Download is here :-
https://archiveos.org/artistx/

Regards to all :)
Lysander666

Post by Lysander666 »

I am a metalhead first and foremost but I have never been interested in playing metal. I play classical Middle Eastern music and have been learning oud since 2013, recently completing my master's degree in music. Nevertheless, I am wary to call myself a performer and have never enjoyed playing in front of people. It feels too much like a spectacle. I do record occasionally, however.
Veerstryngh Thynner

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hi all,

Here is another one.

My main instrument is electric tenor guitar, but I also play a bit of bass (guitar), rhythm guitar, ukulele and drums. I earned my chops in jazz, over several decades, and my soft spot is for 1930s and 1940s Swing and early Bebop.

I don't play in a band any more, but I used to have a small home studio (a mix of analogue and digital). Sadly, it's not functional any longer: the technical side (wiring, IT) never my forte. But my intention is to work on a much more simplified set-up, over summer, that allows me to plug'n play/record straight away.

In connection with this last paragraph, I also hope that one or some of you may be able to help me out with something else. Or maybe you know someone who could help me sort out this issue.

Below the link:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=246170&p=1320276#p1320276

Thanks very much in advance.

Veerstryngh Thynner
Last edited by Veerstryngh Thynner on Wed May 24, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veerstryngh Thynner

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

PS:

MartyMint & Jimallyn,

Are you using Audacity, in service of audio cassette preservation?

I'm a big fan! And I think Audacity renders to FLAC as well. Although I must add that I'm not entirely sure of that, since I haven't used it for some time.

Veerstryngh Thynner
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Veerstryngh Thynner wrote:Jimallyn, Are you using Audacity, in service of audio cassette preservation?
Yes, I use Audacity to transfer my cassettes to digital formats. But I am not doing it in a serious way, and at my current conversion rate, I will be dead before I have all my cassettes transferred to digital.
marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Hi Everyone,

Am a musician hobbyist. I have the kxstudio repos installed onto my linuxmint 17.3 and everything works great for playing,
recording, creating music. Use my yamaha 235ypg keyboard and play with lmms, qtractor, audacity,ardour, etc. Plenty of good
linux audio software IMO.

Marcia
Reaccion Raul

Post by Reaccion Raul »

I would like to know if there are people out there mastering in Linux

For recording and mixing i use a Tascam DP-32 SD (which i love it, digital recording with total analogue feel so i can forget about screens and stuff) but i would like to know if there are any decent plugins such as limiters, maximizers, compressors, reverbs etc for Ardour (LV2 plugins i think they are called, instead of windows VST).
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Hi.
First off, I can't play a note on anything. However, I come from a family replete with those "assholes" that can watch an instrument being played and then make you look like an amateur. I can name better than a half-dozen relatives that could make music out of dead fish.

So please refer to my other post viewtopic.php?f=58&t=250460 for a start.

I remember my Uncle Frank McCluskey back in the 50s, could replicate on any instrument, given a couple of minutes only, absolutely anything he heard. It was INCREDIBLE
I will die knowing I had the joy of hearing the greatest musician the world has ever heard. It's just that only our family knew. Tragic.

But now we have so many ways for musicians to make their work public.

And yet, I have never, never, been so impressed, not even the Stones "Let It Bleed" back in '69 (the greatest music of all time till now) messed me up like this: eg, I would never have discovered Gary Clark jr without the internet.

You have to check out "Bright Lights" live (If you like music, you HAFTO listen to this guy - no excuses)

Linux has it all. by the way, if you look for it.

Sorry for my exuberance and fandom.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Reaccion Raul wrote:I would like to know if there are people out there mastering in Linux ... i would like to know if there are any decent plugins such as limiters, maximizers, compressors, reverbs etc for Ardour
I would bet just about any amount of money that there are people mastering in Linux. As far as plugins, of course, there are hundreds of plugins for Ardour (and other Linux programs), in all the popular formats. Start here:

http://manual.ardour.org/working-with-p ... g-plugins/
deziar27

Post by deziar27 »

I'm a musician, but with less experience than any of you.

I play some guitar, mostly electric, but not as frequently as I would like. I also started to learn a little bit of piano recently on my own, but it's pretty basic.

I'm more of a punk rocker, listening and (trying to) play a lot of Billy Talent and I'm also open to much more than that.

Glad to see musicians here!
Jeremy Mendes

Post by Jeremy Mendes »

Has anyone ever tried using AddictiveDrums2, Reaper, Focusrite Scarlets, e-drums(Alesis dm10 studio) and stuff like that with Linux?
Jeffex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jeffex »

I played drums back in the 80s, we recorded a 45...we sold about 100, mainly friends etc. It was a fun time. It was the kind of New Wave sound that was happening then. We also played a couple of gigs at local venues and once at a music festival, on a small stage for the lesser acts haha. I had a cucumber thrown at me while we played which caused me to lose the beat for a few seconds.
I started teaching myself how to play classical guitar and read music but it didn't last.
These days I like the harmonica, and I just play along to music while I have a few beers, mainly blues and Honky Tonk.
I am not an accomplished musician by any means, but I do enjoy music.
Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa, Cinnamon: 4.4.8
lisabonne citadel

Post by lisabonne citadel »

I liked to think i am musician with my pc keyboard playing in FL Studio.
Its been almost one year i dont use windows anymore and sadly in linux doesnt exist FL Studio even Pay Version.
I kow i can emulate with wine but is not the same thing.
my style is simple... Classic Hip Hop with Cinematic Background and some instrumental drama.

my soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/only_god_judge_me

Return to “Open Chat”