Sliding glass shower door shattered. Looking for ideas

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Sliding glass shower door shattered. Looking for ideas

Post by pepperminty »

One of the two sliding glass shower doors shattered into thousands of pieces.

http://imgur.com/a/fNZkX

What are some inexpensive ways to keep water from splattering out of the shower stall? One thing I can think of is a plastic curtain. I reckon it's only a few dollars. We would also need to buy a horizontal rode and the wire clips that go into the holes at the top of the curtain.

I'd love to hear from home renovators, or home-reno-TV watchers :)
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Slding glass shower door shattered. Looking for ideas

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

I had a similar problem with my shower. The original installation was an epic fail because it wasn't sealed completely. I had to remove all of the glass. If you face the shower "door" there is a half-wall on the left. There was a long, thin piece of glass on the left of the entry and the door was anchored with a piano hinge on the right. The whole thing leaked. When I removed the metal hardware, green water flowed out and down the drain. I kid you not.

Since I had two walls to protect (the entry and the half wall), my fix was a bit unique. I anchored one of these flanges on each wall; one on the wall above the entry and one above the half wall. Then I screwed one of these adapters into each flange. Into the adapters I put some PVC pipe that stretched to the beginning of the half wall where the pipes almost touched at a right angle. I then put a three-way elbow fitting onto the PVC pipe and another piece of pipe going down from the elbow to the top of the half wall. I put a rubber boot (chair leg cap) on the bottom of that pipe so it rested on the half wall. Then I hung two over-lapping shower curtains on the PVC pipe. When the curtains get dirty, I wash them. When they get worn, I buy two more for cheap. Easy.

My recommendation is to use one of those adjustable shower rods. That should work. Cleaning the curtains is easy and replacing them is cheap.
Last edited by CaptainKirksChair on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I might try to replace the tempered glass with polycarbonate. From the looks of the pictures the glass shower door had nothing to protect the edge and it doesn't take much contact to the edge to cause tempered glass to shatter
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

JeremyB wrote:I might try to replace the tempered glass with polycarbonate. From the looks of the pictures the glass shower door had nothing to protect the edge and it doesn't take much contact to the edge to cause tempered glass to shatter
Thanks for tip on polycarbonate. Loved learning of things I've never heard of before. Polycarbonate sounds more durable, and hopefully cheaper.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

It is a hard plastic and can usually be scored with a utility knife blade if I remember correctly. You may have to look a few places to find it the size and thickness you need- I would think 3mm(1/8 inch) would be a common thickness. I doubt it is cheaper as I just found some current prices, yikes! But I guess shower doors aren't cheap either- I remodeled my bath about 15 years ago
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

JeremyB wrote: I doubt it is cheaper as I just found some current prices, yikes!
Yea, and actually finding some that you don't have to order is another thing too. It is most readily available in 1/16 inch corrugated sheets for greenhouse applications. That glass looks to be 3/16 at least if not 1/4 inch. I would try to save up and just go for a new door set-up for $300 bucks.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Portma ... /300499015
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Sliding glass shower door shattered. Looking for ideas

Post by Tomgin5 »

I put in the Polycarbonate (plastic) 20 years ago. It had a molicule or so of glass on both surfaces. No scratches and as easy to clean as glass.Mine was clear though. Many of the Home repair superstores carry the polycarbonate textured in stock.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Sliding glass shower door shattered. Looking for ideas

Post by GS3 »

These guys have glass that won't break: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk91qJu1u_0
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.

Return to “Open Chat”