Security of Mac Touch Bar

Chat about just about anything else
Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Security of Mac Touch Bar

Post by Penn » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:32 am

http://bgr.com/2017/03/16/apple-securit ... -touchbar/

Have these people gotten into a Linux machine yet? Remember when people said make was hack-proof. I always disagreed.

Edit - I should have looked before asking. http://www.eweek.com/security/ubuntu-li ... ompetition

TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Security of Mac Touch Bar

Post by TooMuchTime » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:46 am

Thus far, we’ve already seen hackers exploit security vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader, Windows, and Microsoft’s Edge browser.
How is either of these three considered news?

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Why has this thread been ignored... well, pretty much ignored? Ubuntu (4.8 kernel) was hacked on the first day - isn't that worthy of comment? When Microsoft gets hacked there's pages of replies... I wonder why ;)

And yes, I waited two weeks to see whether others would reply.
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:11 pm

Locally Mac users are running to get their Big Macs converted to LM cinnamon.

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:23 am

Chris, not only is this thread being ignored, when I mentioned it in another thread there was no comment. Pwn2own had Linux when they started but no one ever hacked it. This year was the reintroduction and Ubuntu goes down as the only Linux "contender". I have a few questions, not the least of which is "Are other distros affected including the LMDE we use?" but no one is talking. I haven't really made much of an attempt but not just here, the other places I looked it isn't being discussed.

Tom - Mac certainly isn't my cup of tea. I just found it interesting that the touchbar was a vector.

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:47 am

Penn wrote:Chris, not only is this thread being ignored, when I mentioned it in another thread there was no comment. Pwn2own had Linux when they started but no one ever hacked it. This year was the reintroduction and Ubuntu goes down as the only Linux "contender". I have a few questions, not the least of which is "Are other distros affected including the LMDE we use?" but no one is talking. I haven't really made much of an attempt but not just here, the other places I looked it isn't being discussed.[...].
From what I can find out (and you're right, there's not many links/threads/discussions about this); it was the 4.8 kernel of Ubuntu 16.10, so it shouldn't affect us with the 3.16 LTS kernel of LMDE. But, and it's a big "but", is it just coincidental that Mint 18 has had a bunch of Ubuntu kernel upgrades in quick succession recently?

I know that the hacker had physical access, but was that needed? Could it have been exploited via the Internet? Are other Kernels vulnerable? If yes, have they now been patched?

I think I might need to go searching Windows forums for answers, as Linux forums seem ominously quiet.

When the Mint forums were compromised, it was all over the Internet... they came out of the woodwork to blame the Mint distro (and blame Clem), when it was nothing to do with Mint. Now a Ubuntu kernel is hacked with relative ease, and there's silence.

(Yes, all software has bugs, some has vulnerabilities - sweeping it under the carpet is how Microsoft does it)
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:54 am

You know what? If you want to discuss Pwn2Own and Linux, don't title your topic "Security of Mac Touch Bar". Nobody here cares about the Mac Touch Bar.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:37 am

If you want something to be talked about, the one option you have is talking about it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:54 am

xenopeek wrote:You know what? If you want to discuss Pwn2Own and Linux, don't title your topic "Security of Mac Touch Bar". Nobody here cares about the Mac Touch Bar.
Moem wrote:If you want something to be talked about, the one option you have is talking about it.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Return to “Open chat”