Ordeal

Chat about just about anything else
TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Ordeal

Post by TooMuchTime » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:46 pm

ordeal (awr-deel) noun
1. any extremely severe or trying test, experience, or trial.
2. a primitive form of trial to determine guilt or innocence...

Yes, my Windows 7 computer finally updated.

At first, the original 1TB hard drive with Windows 10 failed with massive errors. I was lucky to have a 500GB hard drive I'd built with Windows 7. I installed the 500GB drive and waited. And waited. The computer has been off and on for about 2 months but it has been mostly on. I actually had it powered on for just over two weeks straight without using it. No updates, no nothing. I did install Never10 from GRC to make sure I never see the Windows 10 update. (I know the time has passed for that update but I won't underestimate Microsoft again.) Then Windows Update happened.

210 bleeping updates! And it took 2 months to download all of them! 2 bleeping months! 210 pieces of buggy Microsoft code to update the current buggy code! My computer had to reboot four times initially. But not all of the updates succeeded. Twice, the majority of the updates failed, the system had to be rebooted, more updates appeared, most of those failed, a reboot, and more updates appeared. I had to leave it updating over two successive nights. The last 5 updates each required a separate reboot. That's 9, count 'em -- NINE, reboots. I was actually amazed when no more updates appeared. I thought it would go on forever.

But my system is all better and secure now. Until the next Super Tuesday. On April 11th.

garbage (gahr-bij) noun
1. anything that is contemptibly worthless, inferior, or vile

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Ordeal

Post by all41 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:28 pm

And does it somehow still feel inferior?
Yes I have a few win7 pro licenses on workstation secondary drives--but none have been
exposed to online slaughter.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:25 pm

That's why I went back to an XP Pro 32 on one system to run older CAD 2D and 3D software. No Problems after Office and IE ditched. Don't need updates from old AutoCad or ORCAD or Mastercam. They still work fine. Using libreoffice in the Windex half, and LM18 Cinnamon64 in the other half. running both 32 bit and 64 bit OS in the same machine is useful sometimes. NO BUGS or Malware, although Windex Maintenance has tried to do the hostage thing. :mrgreen: :wink:

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:42 pm

I've seen the horror that is the Windows Update process. In my view, it's been total excrement ever since they introduced it in Windows XP. I seem to recall (perhaps wrongly?) Windows 2000 had a nicer update process.

Anyhow...

Nothing else out there compares to Apt, Yum, etc. in GNU+Linux. Even Apple's software update process isn't quite as nice, though it is pretty nice. At this point, the only thing I can conclude is that the folks at Microsoft are just so entrenched in the way things have "always" been done that they just don't care about any other possibility.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:14 pm

I recently went back to dual boot. Got the itch to play D3 again. Used mobo disc for mobo drivers and DL latest amd drivers. Thats it. I refuse to update. I havent even validated it yet either. The only thing that gets done there is D3,so its a "whatever" kind of thing.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:51 pm

I, too, experienced this sort of hellish stuff, when Windows 10 just went ahead and upgraded me without being asked. What a mess that was.
Have personally banished all versions of MS WIndows from my life.
Done. Finished. If I can't do it with Linux, I ain't doing it.

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:12 pm

I have only very briefly touched anything between Windows 7 and Windows 10, though my company is now pushing out Win 8.1 to the office computers at all the satellite locations, so... oh, joy.

Having briefly played around with Windows 10, all I can say is that I'm sooooooooooooooo glad I was never a Windows person. I have utterly no use for Microsoft in particular, or really any proprietary software vendor at this point.

Having liberated all my own personal data files from the clutches of proprietary file formats, and having migrated completely to fully or near-fully libre software (on the desktop, anyhow) I couldn't be happier, and you'll never see me head back to proprietaryville. The heck with that.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Return to “Open chat”