reasons to use Mint -- poor Microsoft !!

Chat about just about anything else
all41
Level 15
Level 15

reasons to use Mint -- poor Microsoft !!

Post by all41 »

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: More reasons to use Mint

Post by Pierre »

yes - - it's probably the 2nd known law suit, that is involving that win-10 upgrade.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10 ... maged-pcs/

there is bound to be others, but this law suit is also a class action.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: reasons to use Mint

Post by Pjotr »

I guess that shoving that upgrade down everybody's throats wasn't such a good idea after all. :lol:

But to be honest: some of these people strike me as violators of the first rule in computing: "back up or sod off". :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

Then there is Geek Squad - Nothing like kicking you when your down eh?
The upgrade destroyed some data, caused such harm that Geek Squad was unable to fully repair the machine, and forced the purchase of a new system
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Poor Microsoft !!

Post by Pat D »

As per this AM on Ars Technica:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... maged-pcs/

Class action lawsuit re Windows 10

:lol: :lol:
Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: same topic; merged here

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

Pjotr wrote:But to be honest: some of these people strike me as violators of the first rule in computing: "back up or sod off". :mrgreen:
Much as I like to dislike MS, I'd guess "Probable User Error"
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker »

generally I think folks who have come here are here for a simple reason: they are looking for a better computer experience. this would be manifest as their existing experience isn't going as well as expected.

.....perhaps,--
  • your existing computer runs slower, and s-lower and s-l-o-w-er and finally just kinda plugs up and turns into a PIG;
  • you're tired of drinking coffee waiting for someone or something else to get done running their stuff on your computer;
  • you're tired of shelling out $$$ for this and more $$$ and more $$$ for more stuff;
...... but you're not sure how to start

I started when my daughter brought me a computer that was so plugged up it wouldn't run anymore. I re-formatted the disk and installed Ubuntu -- and Volilla! a perfectly good running computer!

Since then I've graduated to building my own desk-tops.

not everyone will have that extra machine to start the learning process with. But it may be possible to install MINT side by side with an existing system; last I knew this worked just fine

it's a learning curve -- like many things. there is an effort required. But, here on the forum we are here to help.
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Re: reasons to use Mint -- poor Microsoft !!

Post by Portreve »

People have to want to change, or to make a change. Nobody else can do that for them.

I have turned a number of people on to GNU+Linux over the years; however, it has always taken the form of me providing them with verifiable information, and then them making an actually informed choice to do so.

I posted a comment in a recent sponsored post on Twitter by Microsoft, where I kind of hijacked it to encourage people to protect themselves by choosing libre software instead of proprietary software.

I'm rather proud of myself for that.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Know when what you're doing is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and STOP.

Still looking for a new job.

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

The suit claims that "many" consumers have had their hard drives fail because of the Windows 10 installation, and that the operating system does not check "whether or not the hard drive can withstand the stress of the Windows 10 installation."
I lost my 1TB drive after the upgrade to Windows 10 and Windows Defender ran a full drive scan. Now, the drive could have been going bad before that. However, there was not one drive error before that scan and I had no problems with accessing any data. No data was lost and everything was working normally.
Windows 10...now has more than 400 million users, regardless of problems.
Duh! They GAVE it away for 1 year. How many people are on the planet now? Yeah, more people to reach and you give your upgrade away. Tell me why it's the fastest Windows rollout ever?

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- Benjamin Disraeli

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

They GAVE it away for 1 year
Gave it away plus forced it on your hd without permission.

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer »

all41 wrote:
They GAVE it away for 1 year
Gave it away plus forced it on your hd without permission.
The only reason an end-user unknowingly received a Windows 10 upgrade without permission was due to the fact that most end-users don't know how to change the update settings to give the end-user complete control of what updates get installed.

I downloaded Windows 10 upgrade on to many computers for many people without any of the problems or horror stories I hear about and read about.

I myself have no use for Windows 10 as Linux does everything I need to do. 8)

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

The Old Timer wrote: The only reason an end-user unknowingly received a Windows 10 upgrade without permission was due to the fact that most end-users don't know how to change the update settings to give the end-user complete control of what updates get installed.
That is not justification.
The machines were invaded, modified, and compromised without the owners consent--yes even the less savvy grannies and gramps who had no idea how to configure against such intrusion were ideal targets in achieving a huge roll-out.

Return to “Open chat”