Folding@home-Team Linux Mint-76140

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Folding@home-Team Linux Mint-76140

Post by greerd »

Hey tinca,

I'm doing the very same, had the very same problems, got my gpu folding by sudo apt install ocl-icd-opencl-dev, from foldingforum.

I find it kinda strange that I'm all excited to play with Mint 19 and then end up setting it up exactly like my 18.3.

By the way, congratulations to Citizen229, powerwagon75 and mr_raider for breaking the 100 million mark!
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi greerd.

thanks for the info.

I will finish this unit and shut down and restart Mint19 and make the changes.

Your right, it is great to see the team still going up. Congratulations to everybody.

best regards keith
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi greerd,

that fixed it. Thank you for the help

Folding appears to be running 3 degrees C hotter and the TPF has gone down from 2 minutes 19 to 2 minutes 15.

best regards keith

p.s. I am hoping that our new top folder "battlenut" drops by and lets us know what he is folding with, curiousity.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Yea, it won't take him very long to ketchup :lol:

I finally had to update my nvidia driver from my trusty old 370 to 396.24, don't like it, looks slower so far.
Are you getting WARNING:FS01:Size of positions 2584 does not match topology 2582 in your logs? I'm getting a bunch of them.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

greerd

I am running driver 390, which is the one that is offered. It appears to be slightly faster than on the Mint18 install. That could be down to the fact that Mint19 is now on a SSD.

I am NOT seeing any errors, it all looks to be running OK.

best regards keith
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Have you guys tried to manual install the 370/384 drivers on 19 yet?
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Not yet, I'll at least give the 396 a chance, I did a quick Nvidia search and the oldest listed is 375.82 so my 370 isn't available afaik. I don't know how vulnerable the old drivers were to meltdown (how could a video driver be vulnerable?) but what was it, 389 that was suppose to mitigate it?

It seems to me that my ppd started dropping around the time battlenut started, not sure why, almost like teams only get so many juicy wu's.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

greerd,

like you, my points per day started to decline, but that was about a month ago, long before "battlenut" joined the team.

The whole computer had started to slow down and was most noticeable when opening a web browser like Firefox. I noticed that more and more doing anything else on the computer made more impact on the folding.

I was not too worried about it as I had just purchased a ssd and was going to install Mint19 as soon as possible.

Everything on Mint19 mate has gone well, but folding drops if I carry out any anything else on the computer. I never noticed the impact months ago. Probably fading memory?

best regards keith
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Are you set to medium folding power?

The WU with longer TPF are more GPU intensive. I really took a hit going from 40 inch 1080p to 55 inch 4k. If i set my reso to 4k the tv will turn off as it loses signal from GPU. If i leave it at 1080 I can watch movies in windowed mode. I have been in these intensive WU's for weeks now. I wonder if core21 is running out of WU's. if these WU's are slowing you down a bit try lowering your resolution at bit.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Citizen229

folding has been set to maximum for as long as I can remember, but I have just set it back to medium and it certainly makes a difference to the responsiveness of the computer.

I will be glad to see the back of Project 11713 as I seem to have been exclusively on this project for ever.

Best regards Keith
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

I live in England in the UK, and for the past weeks the temperature has slowly gone up. The GPU has been running from 58 to 62, but today it is at 70 degrees.

The temperature today is supposed to be the hottest we have had at 37 to 38 degrees. Not hot for some of you but for us in the UK it is a rarity.

It is 5 in the afternoon and I was in the garden tying up some straggly mint plants and I could hear thunder in the distance, but did not attach too much importance to if until I could hear rain starting to fall on the plants. I stood briefly on the patio and one of my cats arrived from nowhere, jumped on a chair and went through the open window like a shot. Suddenly there was hail. I have seen plenty of hail over my lifetime but this was impressive. The noise was unbelievably load and I had to go indoors and quickly shut the door. About a minute later my second cat flew through the cat flap and dashed up the hallway. I picked her up and she was saturated. I dried her off and she disappeared into the bedroom in shock.

The temperature of the GPU has dropped by 5 degrees in about as many minutes. Lets hope that it cools down at last as we have not had any rain for 49 days.

Best regards Keith
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

The overheating issues are why I did not pursue my initial interest in this project. Last year I had several instances of the machine shutting off having reached critical temperature (85°C in this case).

Room temps have barely dropped below 30°C at night for quite a while this year, same as 2017. It's currently 34.4°C in here (and climbing) & at one point last year it reached 48°C & stayed there for a few hours. You know what they say, wait ages for a bus & three come at once. Well, we waited ten years for anything resembling "summer" & this is the second (or third)? scorcher in a row! I'm used to these temps but the humidity does get to me. A lot can't cope with the heat though.

Just checked the temps on the Dell (server, original proposed machine for F@H) & the Acer ES1 which I think will be a better bet for this project as I haven't been shutting it down lately anyway. Dell is reporting around 56-57°C (was 53 before I started using the browser again) with the fan averaging about ⅔ max speed & the ES1 reported 48°C at idle (fanless design), with the lid closed & propped up behind the TV.

Question if I may; would the Acer ES1 make a worthwhile contribution to the project?

Code: Select all

CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Celeron N2840 bits: 64 type: MCP 
           L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           Speed: 509 MHz min/max: 500/2582 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 500 2: 500 
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display 
           driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Display: server: X.org 1.18.4 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           tty: 95x29 
           Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console. Try -G --display
(Sorry will have to plug the keyboard back in & put the telly on to get full graphics data. Will do that in a bit).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

It's been hot here too, hence my folding has been put on hold for awhile.
BG405 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:37 am Question if I may; would the Acer ES1 make a worthwhile contribution to the project?
I think you'll have to use the cpu slot for folding with the Acer which isn't nearly as efficient as gpu folding, so whether it's worth it or not is in the 'eye of the beholder'. With Linux, Nvidia is the way to go for Points Per Day, Watts Per Point, etc. I expect AMD GPU's will enter the Linux folding fray some day when the new Open Source drivers become available but that might take some time.

Cheers
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

greerd wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:26 am I think you'll have to use the cpu slot for folding with the Acer which isn't nearly as efficient as gpu folding, so whether it's worth it or not is in the 'eye of the beholder'.
I sort of expected that, but if the machine is being left running for long periods (it's still in its testing phase) the CPU might as well be put to some use. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I'm happy to report that the Dell might prove to be be viable after all. Having sorted out the thermal transfer materials, which evidently weren't that well applied in the first place & were in a rather poor condition, the overheating issues have hopefully been sorted.

Further testing required; time will tell. :)
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

it seems as we have gathered some new members to the the Mint Protein Folding Team. Well done everybody and welcome.

We are now at position 127 and have 3 teams closing on us. If you have a decent graphics card then use that to fold on instead of the CPU as the points are far far greater.

Battlenut, congratulations on catching me up, some achievement. Keep up the good work.

Best regards Keith
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

tinca wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:03 am Hi all,

it seems as we have gathered some new members to the the Mint Protein Folding Team. Well done everybody and welcome.

We are now at position 127 and have 3 teams closing on us. If you have a decent graphics card then use that to fold on instead of the CPU as the points are far far greater.

Battlenut, congratulations on catching me up, some achievement. Keep up the good work.

Best regards Keith
Tinca,

Thanks, I have extra GPU power so why not use it for the greater good. I started using mint so figured might as well fold for mint. currently at position 110.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Hi @battlenut,

I'm curious to see what you're rig is comprised of, 3.3 Mppd, wow.

Cheers
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

Main rig is a Threadripper 1950x with a 1080ti, second is a Ryzen 2400 with a 1080ti, third is a ryzen 1700 with a 980ti, 4th is a ryzen 1800x with a 980ti. I have extra stuff and decided to fold on it.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Wow, 'extra stuff' alright! I'm :mrgreen:

Return to “Software & Applications”