Folding@home-Team Linux Mint-76140

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Folding@home-Team Linux Mint-76140

Post by tinca »

Hi to all,

firstly thank you for all taking the time and patience to try and help.

In an earlier post from greerd there was a link to the latest GPUs.txt. I copied all of the text into a new document and then saved it to my computer. I then copied it to /var/lib/fahclient. When my current work unit was finished I shut down the computer. When I restarted the computer it was immediately running a CPU unit. I looked at the info tab and towards the bottom it now said that the graphic card was recognised. After a few attempts to set a GPU slot I finally managed it. I then deleted the CPU slot and the computer is now folding the first GPU unit.
It says that it will take 5 hours and 25 minutes to finish. What a relief.

I am running Mint 18.1 Mate 64 bit with the Kernel Linux 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 and using the Nvidia-375.39 driver.

It is late at night now so I will just leave it running and check more thoroughly in the morning.

Many thanks to all of you

Best regards Keith
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Gratz Bro!

I hope you can swing 24/7 with that card. that would be awesome.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

tinca wrote:Hi to all,

firstly thank you for all taking the time and patience to try and help.

In an earlier post from greerd there was a link to the latest GPUs.txt. I copied all of the text into a new document and then saved it to my computer. I then copied it to /var/lib/fahclient. When my current work unit was finished I shut down the computer. When I restarted the computer it was immediately running a CPU unit. I looked at the info tab and towards the bottom it now said that the graphic card was recognised. After a few attempts to set a GPU slot I finally managed it. I then deleted the CPU slot and the computer is now folding the first GPU unit.
It says that it will take 5 hours and 25 minutes to finish. What a relief.

I am running Mint 18.1 Mate 64 bit with the Kernel Linux 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 and using the Nvidia-375.39 driver.

It is late at night now so I will just leave it running and check more thoroughly in the morning.

Many thanks to all of you

Best regards Keith
I had a similar issue. Your drivers are fine. For some reason the client forgets to load a GPU.txt file on install. I believe this happens if you had an AMD card when you first install the client.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Im so jealous right now........
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Hey @tinca, you forgot to wave!
aubie88

Post by aubie88 »

Hello everyone! Just wanted to say Hi. I'm a new Mint user and glad to be helping with folding@home.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Hi and welcome. The more the merrier.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi greerb,

I did wave, but I think you blinked. It still does not to appear to have caught up with the pages per day. My Fahcontrol shows something like 665,436 pages per day.

aubie88,

it is nice to see you

Best regards Keith
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Welcome Aubie! what hardware are you folding?
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Ok..so.. I installed solydx today. And my windows partition got nuked. Im not shedding a tear cause I hardly touch D3. However my 280x is a gcn1.0 card, which means I do not get any linux drivers....
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

@mr_raider, I guess the battle's for second, should be a good one as I'm using a GTX 970 too.

@aubie88, welcome aboard, like @900i says, the more the merrier.

@tinca, yes, I must of blinked. I think the daily average is based on the last 6 or 7 days. (on extreme overclocking)

@Citizen229, did you look at this support page? Its for buntu 14.04.2 but...
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Yes greerd I saw the new driver. As i said, my card is not included in the new driver stack. My 2 driver options are the xorg driver, or the last generation of the partial closed source-FGLRX. Neiher of which have open CL2. That new AMD GPU PRO driver is for everything rx 300's 400's and 500's. there are some r9 cards listed but not the 280x. For me to fold on linux, I need a different card.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi greerd,

I am not too bothered about the number of points now, I know that they will increase. I am just relieved and thankful that with everybody's help I managed to get the card folding.

I am stunned at just how quick the pages accumulate compared to my Intel i7 4790K which was averaging 60,000 pages a day. The EVGA card is 10 times as fast.

A bonus is that the CPU working temperature is down, one core is in the low 50's and the other 3 are in the mid 30's. The card is running at 67 degrees.

Realistically, how far up the ladder do you think our team can get.

Best regards Keith
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

@tinca- once I get myself one of those fancy 1070's we will climb faster. Realistically if me/greerd/raider, all upgraded to 1070's, it would still take us a 1-2years to get in the top 100. I know we have a handful of 1050/1060/rx480 on the forums. Getting those folks interested would be a big help. Currently it takes a total score of 1.4 billion to be in the top 100. We will get there... eventually. AMD's vega gpu is due out by the end of June. It is supposed to be a competitor to nvidias upper end 10 series. Knowing AMD, it will compete drawing 25% more power. And not be a good folding card for the power consumed.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Citizen229,

the numbers that you talk about are staggering. When you write them down they look like someones's telephone number.

It would be some achievement to get our Mint team up into the top 100 folding teams in the world. A bit of extra publicity for Mint and a really good cause to be supporting.

My own case I am sure is similar to most families. I am one of six, my mum and dad, my brother and 2 sisters, and myself. First I lost my brother, then my mum. Next was my sister and very recently my father. 4 people out of a family of 6 all taken by cancer. It upsets me as I write this. So incredible unfair.

My lost family would expect me to be doing something and not just sitting back and doing nothing. I feel that my very small effort in Protein Folding for Stamford University helps in some way. It certainly makes me feel a bit better.

An open invitation to all Mint forum users is to come aboard this train and hopefully make a difference. If you are unsure about anything to do with folding, then there are a lot of knowledgeable people here who will get you up and running as they did for me. As the saying goes " every little helps"

Hope to see more of you joint the team.

Best regards Keith
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Well said Citizen229
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
aubie88

Post by aubie88 »

Citizen229 wrote:Welcome Aubie! what hardware are you folding?

Hey - Im currently folding on 3 older macs. A Macbook and Macmini from 2008 and another Macmini from 2011.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Citizen229 wrote:@tinca- once I get myself one of those fancy 1070's we will climb faster. Realistically if me/greerd/raider, all upgraded to 1070's, it would still take us a 1-2years to get in the top 100. I know we have a handful of 1050/1060/rx480 on the forums. Getting those folks interested would be a big help. Currently it takes a total score of 1.4 billion to be in the top 100. We will get there... eventually. AMD's vega gpu is due out by the end of June. It is supposed to be a competitor to nvidias upper end 10 series. Knowing AMD, it will compete drawing 25% more power. And not be a good folding card for the power consumed.
Don't get too happy. I shut down my GPU usually from mid-may to mid-september. No sense heating the house when I pay to AC it. In winter though, f@h keeps the room toasty.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Ok so I fried my 4g gig usb stick. Soo im stuck on a windblows install until I get some new ones. I was hoping the lack of gpu folding would motivate me quicker to get a new card. The gods saw otherwise.We have had almost every major appliance die this year so far. GPU is kinda low on the list right now playing catch up.

@tinca- the numbers seem staggering because FAH has been going on for over a decade. 1-2 years to catch up to a dedicated decade old team doesnt seem so bad.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Citizen229,

sad to hear about your graphic card problem, and its low priority. NOT because of the folding power, but if you are like me, I found the purchase and installation, and then the help I received rather exciting. Just keep on plugging on and you will get there.

Best regards Keith

Return to “Software & Applications”