Folding@home-Team Linux Mint-76140

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Folding@home-Team Linux Mint-76140

Post by battlenut »

Yeah I folded for years for Overclock.net But the recent website change made me frustrated. plus I was looking to get away from windows and try something new. Thats when I discovered linux. The only downside is the lack of games outside of steam that I have found.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

battlenut,

that is a very impressive collection of hardware you have.

I noticed that we have a team SnakesOnAComplexPlane catching us at 52,691,991 points a day. You can only wonder what hardware they have?, I can only dream on.

Best regards Keith
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

Looks to me like those guys were a crypto farm. The top 5 are on a minimum of 4 2080ti/Titan XP or 8 1080ti. Pretty crazy setups if you ask me. eventually they will take fourth and stay there. oh well nothing I can do about it.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

battlenut,

I will have a big smile on my face if, and when we get into the top 100. A long time goal

Best regards Keith
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

we will get there. Personally I think it will be around JUNE time frame. just got done looking at it again. Maybe June?
darktheme

Post by darktheme »

Good day all. I've had trouble installing the package from Stanford on Mint 19 Mate, get some error and I assume I'm missing some dependencies. Any ideas?

I'm taking a break from my other team and decided to help you get into the top 100. I have a few rigs that fold and crunch Boinc and such. I've never had issues installing FaH on older versions of Mint but they were all Cinnamon now that I think about it.

Anyway the plan is to get completely away from Windows in the coming months. I'd appreciate any input you can offer.
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

darktheme wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:31 am Good day all. I've had trouble installing the package from Stanford on Mint 19 Mate, get some error and I assume I'm missing some dependencies. Any ideas?

I'm taking a break from my other team and decided to help you get into the top 100. I have a few rigs that fold and crunch Boinc and such. I've never had issues installing FaH on older versions of Mint but they were all Cinnamon now that I think about it.

Anyway the plan is to get completely away from Windows in the coming months. I'd appreciate any input you can offer.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/86 ... -on-linux/

That was the tutorial I used to set up my folding at home on linux, should work for you.
darktheme

Post by darktheme »

Thanks, I'll let you know.

Meanwhile, I'm priming a new passkey for this team and by tomorrow afternoon should be contributing at a more serious pace.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi darktheme,

I can see you in the folding statistics now. Well done and welcome to the team.

Best regards Keith
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

welcome dartheme, glad to have you around.
darktheme

Post by darktheme »

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here.

It looks like the qrb bonus did not kick in after 10 wu's. I'll give it a couple more update cycles to see if it works itself out.

Just 1 gpu folding now and then need to shut everything down later today. We have a high wind warning and that is coming on top of our freezing rain that's happening now. Playing it safe is all.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi battlenut,

Code: Select all

Looks to me like those guys were a crypto farm. The top 5 are on a minimum of 4 2080ti/Titan XP or 8 1080ti. Pretty crazy setups if you ask me. eventually they will take fourth and stay there. oh well nothing I can do about it.
Question, why would a team with such power stop running crypto to start running a more charitable cause. Is it that crypto mining is now no longer worth the time and money?

We did touch on crypto mining for Team Linux Mint in this thread some time ago, but nothing came of it. Personally I never did understand the principle. When I was growing up (I am old), money was something that you could hold in your hand. Even the advent of the credit card was something of a shock.

Best regards Keith
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

there are like 5 people on there with really heavy stuff. way above my budget. not sure why they switched. they are not folding with the right settings. they could be making money from the folding, the reason my name is set up the way it is but very little.
darktheme

Post by darktheme »

Okay, back to folding after the ice and wind storms took their toll on our area.

I still don’t know why it took 17 work units for the bonus to kick in but I won’t worry about it.
Moving forward nothing but positivity. Top 100 here we come!!
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

yesterday my computer threw a wobbly. I do not check the computer very often as it is on 24/7. Today I looked at Psensors and found that the 4 CPU cores were in the high 80s.

I opened Htop and found that the CPU was at 100% and it was all being used by fahclient. This is very strange as fahclient has NO CPU slots, only the 1 GPU slot.

I removed fahclioent completely from the computer, shut down and then re-booted. I downloaded and installed fahclient, I opened Htop immediately and found the CPU temperatures were all in the upper 90 and it shut down. What I had forgotten was that by default fahclient will start to run with 1 CPU enabled.

I left the computer off for an hour and then rebooted and immediately removed the 1 CPU slot. The temperatures slowly started to fall, but never got lower than the high 60s. Watching a film or downloading a Youtube video did not make the temperature rise suddenly. It still rose slowly and steadily.

Question, why was fahclient using 100%of the CPU when no CPU slots were allocated to it.

The computer has a Corsair Hi 100i Water cooler fitted. How can I check to see if the water pump is running or not.

Best regards Keith
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

you should be able to feel if its running. you should feel a slight HUMMM.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Hi tinca,

Even if you gpu fold only, your cpu should still use one core/thread for each gpu that FahCore is setup to use (for gpu control). My old I7-920 uses 100% of whatever core FahCore is using at that particular moment, I'm not sure if a faster cpu needs to use 100% of a core/thread or not.

Cheers
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

Not sure what you guys get but my setup barely uses a half a core. Sorry for how small the image is.
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Concur w/greerd, FAH gpu folding keeps one core 100% tasked.
i7z-folding-27feb19.png
Have an i7-6700K that is a four-core (8 threads) and actually only one thread of a core is at 100% as reported by System Monitor; Top and i7z reports it as the whole core is 100% busy.

My issue is, that I had to reinstall the existing OS a couple weeks ago (still sticking w/Mint 18 for now), and it uses the newer login method now, and, my FAH has lost an average of 70K PPD. I've been tweaking at the frequency settings and such...don't recall how I had it previously set up, but can't seem to recover to my previous production rate. Also, the new install also installed the intel-microcode, which, I had previously chose not to use. Do any of you think that would actually be my hit in performance?

And yesterday, it seems FAH hit a glitch in the wee hours of the morning and stopped. Had to reboot to get it to fold. After that, I see it reported a whopping 475 points and 11WU?? Some weirdness here, that I hope to get sorted out.

Eric
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

powerwagon75 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:51 am
My guess is that you had to update the driver with the new install. I lost at least 10% when I installed mint 19 and nvidia 370/375 was no longer available.

Return to “Software & Applications”