Windows comedy hour

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Windows comedy hour

Post by Jedinovice »

^^^

Actually, I can PROVE the Matrix was running on Windows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4yTHiWEPm8
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Morning Read on the MSFT Deception

Excerpt
Microsoft’s CEO had an intriguing and controversial response to the new WikiLeaks documents. At the company’s 2017 Build conference, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella warned the technology industry against creating a dystopian future, which authors including George Orwell and Aldous Huxley have predicted in the past. 1984 (Signet Classics) George Orwell Best Price: $2.40 Buy New $4.75

“I’m an unrepentant tech optimist, there’s no question of that,” said Nadella. “But I’m also grounded. There are unintended consequences of technology.

“And it’s not that we can just use more technology to solve those problems, and technologies by themselves cannot solve these. But I do believe that it’s up to us to ensure that some of the more dystopian scenarios don’t come true.”
it is comedy hour--- right ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
¡Viva la Resistencia!
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

Anyone notice how MY Computer became This PC. (If it ever was, it's not your computer anymore.)
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

trapperjohn wrote:Anyone notice how MY Computer became This PC. (If it ever was, it's not your computer anymore.)
Nope. Stopped at W7. I did install W8 because I was seeing it in the field as a Dell tech, but only ran it for a short period of time, then decided to repurpose the disc for some other Linux experiment...:D
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
richlion2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by richlion2 »

Arch_Enemy wrote:"Press Enter To Continue"

<blank screen>

"Press Enter To Continue"

<blank screen>

<blanks screen>

"Press Enter To Continue"...........
I recently came accross someone's laptop with Windows 8 that probably decided to install some updates. The problem is that a cat once jumped into the laptop (yes the animal cat) and destroyed 1/2 of the screen. Guess which part? Yes, you guessed, the left part of the screen is duff. I bet MS never tested that.
So on the right screen you see that windows is intalling updated, goes to 10% and halts. The problem is that you cannot connect any external screen to the laptop to even press any buttons, pick any other startup choices, nothing. You can't restore your files because the latptop is in a pertpetual update loop (no, this doesn't look like an unclean shutdown problem) thus the file system is unavailable, you can't even mount the drive onto a linux computer, as the partition is "stale", meaning unclean shutdown. Of course, there are some special options to do such a mount, but this still is the most rediculous and untested OS in the world. GIve Windows to an 80 year old and he will simply break it. Just a matter of time.

Or maybe MS should start using cats to test how resilient is the Windows OS.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

richlion2 wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:"Press Enter To Continue"

<blank screen>

<blank screen>

<blanks screen>

"Press Enter To Continue"...........
I recently came accross someone's laptop with Windows 8 that probably decided to install some updates. The problem is that a cat once jumped into the laptop (yes the animal cat) and destroyed 1/2 of the screen. Guess which part? Yes, you guessed, the left part of the screen is duff. I bet MS never tested that.
So on the right screen you see that windows is intalling updated, goes to 10% and halts. The problem is that you cannot connect any external screen to the laptop to even press any buttons, pick any other startup choices, nothing. You can't restore your files because the latptop is in a pertpetual update loop (no, this doesn't look like an unclean shutdown problem) thus the file system is unavailable, you can't even mount the drive onto a linux computer, as the partition is "stale", meaning unclean shutdown. Of course, there are some special options to do such a mount, but this still is the most rediculous and untested OS in the world. GIve Windows to an 80 year old and he will simply break it. Just a matter of time.

Or maybe MS should start using cats to test how resilient is the Windows OS.
I ran into this same thing with a friend's computer about a year ago. It was doing an update, and the kid did something. Well, instead of shutting down when the power button was pushed, he had it set to "hibernate", so the drive is hibernated and I cannot find any way to mount the drive for the same reason you're seeing. Even brute-forcing it was to no avail. Along with some minor damage to the system he just bought a new computer. We tried the drive in a number of laptops, but it's stuck.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

IMHO Windows and Linux are built for different reasons and for different customers. Windows is built for marketing people and is designed to do what those people would like it to do: collect information about users. Linux is built to do what the user wants it to do. Both are successful so-- take your choice.

Windows 10 Telemetry Data
Last edited by mike acker on Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Arch_Enemy wrote:
{ snip }

I ran into this same thing with a friend's computer about a year ago. It was doing an update, and the kid did something. Well, instead of shutting down when the power button was pushed, he had it set to "hibernate", so the drive is hibernated and I cannot find any way to mount the drive for the same reason you're seeing. Even brute-forcing it was to no avail. Along with some minor damage to the system he just bought a new computer. We tried the drive in a number of laptops, but it's stuck.

you might be able to recover customer data by booting the box using a live stick
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

mike acker wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:
{ snip }

you might be able to recover customer data by booting the box using a live stick
I have Black Arch just for that purpose. No joy. :(

linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

There is nothing funny about running Windows. If I see a computer with Windows on it, it makes me cry. :cry:
BeHarley

Post by BeHarley »

vladtepes wrote:
Pierre wrote: - anything MS related - - is an disaster waiting to happen.
Rubbish ! It's a disaster in progress !

MS is a disaster really?
BeHarley

Post by BeHarley »

Well, after the WanaCry experience, I am thinking the same and I really wanted to shift my other 2 pcs on linux Ubuntu.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I have to rant here:

As far as I am concerned, Windows software is just retarded. I will not even get into the windows 10 *ull*hit. I will talk about SBS though.

First off, If you do not have someone admining it 24/7 its going to just fail. WSUS on this server I was just remoted into was setup to pull updates for everything. Geez, The database will not even load - its too corrupted to load up. There is no real way of fixing this without major work. You cannot do anything and you have to work from the sql management to try and fix anything. Well, After spending a lot of time on it - its just broke.

Exchange is a heart attack at best. The login is broke. You cannot do anything except reload the darn thing. What a waste of time.

Add on programs: PCLAW - Known issue - if the database goes over 300 megs it will not do backups anymore. This is a known problem and they have never bothered to fix it. So, They just tell you to go into sql management console and backup from there. I am no expert at SBS but they could provide a *ell of a lot more info on what database to back up. Its probably got some cryptic name and they certainly do not mention it. BTW - Everyone must be logged out before any backup can be done. Alright , I understand that. But the program shows two admins logged in and I know that there are not two. There is just one. So, Thats screwed too.

Doing anything in SBS is a royal pain in the *ss. You have to click thru so many stupid windows and everything is spread over all different areas that its just a nightmare to get anything done.

Lets be sure to reboot often too. Otherwise windows is just going to degrade into a pile of *rap.

I can get more done on a linux server in half the time. Why does anyone even want to run some stupid M$ server???? Its such a waste of resources and very poorly planned out. Heaven help you techs that have to fiddle with such software. At least those that code for linux have a decent frame of mind to plan out things correctly in logical order and issues are fixed quickly - most of the time.

Microsoft? At best is sheer lunacy to run.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

coffee412 wrote: Heaven help you techs that have to fiddle with such software. At least those that code for linux have a decent frame of mind to plan out things correctly in logical order and issues are fixed quickly - most of the time.

I gave up resolving software issues because every program is different. You go into a place and fix one issue in under an hour and you're a hero, you go back for another convoluted database programmed by someone in his basement and when you hand them the bill you're the Devil Incarnate. I don't know PCLaw, but I can imagine from some of the database programs I dealt with back in the 90's. The last place I worked the entire company ran off one DB program written in a MS app and we had to have a full-time programmer on staff to keep it running. My job was Data Entry...I entered every order that came into the company into the database to get the ball rolling. But it was also part of my job to poke holes in the system, and poke I did. While I never managed to bring the thing to it's knees, I did find a lot of holes in it that I would pass on to the programmer. Thank whatever god you believe in that's all the interaction I had with it. It was a nightmare.

coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Arch_Enemy wrote:
coffee412 wrote: Heaven help you techs that have to fiddle with such software. At least those that code for linux have a decent frame of mind to plan out things correctly in logical order and issues are fixed quickly - most of the time.

I gave up resolving software issues because every program is different. You go into a place and fix one issue in under an hour and you're a hero, you go back for another convoluted database programmed by someone in his basement and when you hand them the bill you're the Devil Incarnate. I don't know PCLaw, but I can imagine from some of the database programs I dealt with back in the 90's. The last place I worked the entire company ran off one DB program written in a MS app and we had to have a full-time programmer on staff to keep it running. My job was Data Entry...I entered every order that came into the company into the database to get the ball rolling. But it was also part of my job to poke holes in the system, and poke I did. While I never managed to bring the thing to it's knees, I did find a lot of holes in it that I would pass on to the programmer. Thank whatever god you believe in that's all the interaction I had with it. It was a nightmare.
This company that I was at thinks the same of me - a legend to them. However, There are just some things that are just not repairable from a money stand point and just fixing it. I have recommended to them to ditch M$ SBS;move to linux and install Icewarp for their exchange use. I have ran it locally here at my location and it does a great job. I used CentOS for the server and had basically everything running in about an hour. I understand also that M$'s sql program is now ported to linux too. I saw the price tag on that and it was quoted in an article I read of being over 3k for the software. The sq-lite package that handles up to 10 gig is free.

lol, Poking holes in the db program must have been self-gratifying eh? Especially if it ran on windows. Ha. ...

Its funny really. On M$ SBS if something quits working then basically everything quits. What a nightmare to have.

Thanks for your post :)
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

coffee412 wrote:[
Thanks for your post :)
NP.:D I am nowhere NEAR an DB guru, but I sure have had my run-ins with them.

When I had the most experience with databases, dBase3 was the heavy-hitter in the business! :shock:

vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

Terry Pratchett on Stonehenge....
I don't like the place at all. It's all wrong. An imposition on the Landscape. I reckon that Stonehenge was build by the contemporary equivalent of Microsoft, whereas Avebury was definitely an Apple circle.
Terry Pratchett, at alt.fan.pratchett (8 June 1997)
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dutchmaster »

mike acker wrote:IMHO Windows and Linux are built for different reasons and for different customers. Windows is built for marketing people and is designed to do what those people would like it to do: collect information about users. Linux is built to do what the user wants it to do. Both are successful so-- take your choice.

Windows 10 Telemetry Data

"collect lots of information about users"...and collect lots of money from people that like to throw it away.
John
Blue Ridge Mountains, USA

I take refuge in the 3 jewels of the Linux Dharma: Kindness and Generosity (Buddha), Freedom (Dharma), and Collaboration (Sangha).

100% LInux since 2002
Thaeri
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thaeri »

I tried Windows 10 once, and it refused to let me install a couple of my old games.

Sure, old software and new operating systems stop liking each other after a while, so I wasn't too surprised really. It's just ironic that all my other games from around the turn of the millennium ran just fine, the sole exception was those from Microsoft Games...
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Open Chat”