Re: Windows comedy hour

Post by CoffeeFiend »

coffee412 wrote:
CoffeeFiend wrote:
coffee412 wrote:
I also noticed yours - Thanks :)

:wink:

"Good to the last Drop" - Maxwell House
Ah yes, Maxwell House is actually one of my go to brands. Anything but Starbucks. Have you ever tried Stok cold-brew coffee shots? Add one to your cup of coffee and you're like :shock: for about an hour.
Never did try those. I usually brew a pot of coffee in the morning about 5am (EST) and then by mid afternoon I start up another :) . My Cuisinart coffee maker with the insulated cafe is pretty decent. Keeps the coffee hot almost all day.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DTC-97 ... ffee+maker

Does a good job and have had it for about 2 years now :)

In the past I tried Folgers and kinda gagged on it. lol... Just do not care for the taste.

Starbucks? I went in one once and asked for a regular cup of coffee. They couldnt figure it out. So, Considering the price I just never went back.

I love my coffee though!
I actually prefer Maxwell House over Folgers. I just like that "The best part of waking up..." jingle from their commercial back in the 80's, so I put that as my signature. I do like trying different kinds and brands, especially in different countries. Whenever I go to a foreign country one of the first things I look for is a cafe. I was in Greece this past February and had Greek coffee. It tasted like mud. Delicious mud. When I get home I am getting myself a French press.

And just to keep from straying too far off topic... Windows sucks!
"The best part of waking up, is Folgers in your cup!"
CoffeeFiend
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CoffeeFiend »

Jedinovice wrote:
CoffeeFiend wrote: Ah yes, Maxwell House is actually one of my go to brands. Anything but Starbucks. Have you ever tried Stok cold-brew coffee shots? Add one to your cup of coffee and you're like :shock: for about an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJkilt6evJM
Now that's funny!
"The best part of waking up, is Folgers in your cup!"
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Advertising in the file manager window is right up there. Not experienced it myself as I avoid Windows whenever possible.
The other joke are those I try to convert to Linux. The ones whose basic use cases are perfectly covered by Linux software but, despite all their complaints cling to Windows in the final analysis as if any alternative is the work of Satan.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

MintBean wrote:Advertising in the file manager window is right up there. Not experienced it myself as I avoid Windows whenever possible.
The other joke are those I try to convert to Linux. The ones whose basic use cases are perfectly covered by Linux software but, despite all their complaints cling to Windows in the final analysis as if any alternative is the work of Satan.
Better the Devil you know....
Alas......
In Windows you can click on a Web Page, or an e/mail, or a document, or plug in a USB device -- and pickup a virus which can (among other things)
  • copy your email address book and start sending spam from you to all your contacts
  • install a banking trojan and rob all the money from your account
  • install ransomware and encrypt all your files so you can't read 'em unless you pay the ransom in bitcoins which you don't know what are or how to get them unless you give your credit card number to some DarkNet Grifter and even then if you did pay there's no guarantee of relief or even an accurate decrypt
and people actually run this stuff -- and think it's the best thing since canned beer

I'd be ROF,LMFAO if this story wasn't so sad

whose turn was it to make some more coffee?
¡Viva la Resistencia!
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

Jedinovice wrote:
Citizen229 wrote:I dont know KDB, vista was pretty darn nice compared to working on a ME computer.
Or Windows 8.x.

VIsta was broken in so many ways but you could copy files and run up Office on it.
Windows 8...? Nobody could use the thing!!!

That was one of Microsoft's greatest 'jokes.'
Tell me about it. I ended up getting Start8 menu, a $5.00 program that brings back the menu and it behaves just like Windows 7 menu. Best $5.00 I've spent!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

JerryF wrote:
Jedinovice wrote:
Citizen229 wrote:I dont know KDB, vista was pretty darn nice compared to working on a ME computer.
Or Windows 8.x.

VIsta was broken in so many ways but you could copy files and run up Office on it.
Windows 8...? Nobody could use the thing!!!

That was one of Microsoft's greatest 'jokes.'
Tell me about it. I ended up getting Start8 menu, a $5.00 program that brings back the menu and it behaves just like Windows 7 menu. Best $5.00 I've spent!
I often wonder if Microsoft make every second release a turd on purpose. Sure people will whinge on the bad versions, but they will think the next version is a wonderful shiny new thing even though it doesn't innovate in any significant way other than reverting the rubbish intentionally added to the previous release. If you think this is far fetched, I know a friend of mine holds a very senior customer facing position at a well known multinational and they are taught by company psychologists to pitch customers controversial 'curve balls' to put them off-balance and then bring them back on-side with the pitch of what they really want to sell them.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Jedinovice wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:"Press Enter To Continue"

<blank screen>

"Press Enter To Continue"

<blank screen>

"Press Enter To Continue"

<blanks screen>

"Press Enter To Continue"...........
That was the Sinclair ZX80 wasn't it?
No, that actually worked! :D
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MintBean wrote:Advertising in the file manager window is right up there. Not experienced it myself as I avoid Windows whenever possible.

Advertising in File Manager?!?!?! Seriously?!?!

That's when Start...Run...CMD..."Format C:" would come into play REAL fast! :twisted:

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Arch_Enemy wrote:Advertising in File Manager?!?!?! Seriously?!?!

That's when Start...Run...CMD..."Format C:" would come into play REAL fast! :twisted:
IKR! Seriously it's for real I couldn't even make this *beep* up. :D
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3178683/ ... lorer.html

Of course there's an option to turn the ads off... until, that is, Windows decides to modify its own 'user' setting and turn them back on. (Yes, it does that too.)
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Of course there's an option to turn the ads off... until, that is, Windows decides to modify its own 'user' setting and turn them back on. (Yes, it does that too.)
Yeah. It's called Super Tuesday. I wish Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool would remove Windows.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Have left this forum.
Last edited by DeMus on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MintBean wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:Advertising in File Manager?!?!?! Seriously?!?!

IKR! Seriously it's for real I couldn't even make this *beep* up. :D
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3178683/ ... lorer.html

Wow. Glad I gave up at W7.

I was a Dell Factory Rep for 12 years. I did install Windows 8 but just couldn't take it. I know how to use a computer, thank you.
I was recently going to install W10 for familiarity when I pulled the plug on working for Dell (I can understand Tech Support thinking maybe you don't know a whole lot about computers as an end user, but when they start treating a tech with 30+ year's experience like you don't know anything it's time to leave...).

I managed to spare myself the agony. My reasons for not installing Windows has a parallel to not working for Dell any more. Instead of being presented documents to look at in preparation for taking the Certification tests, they have gone to a series of insipid videos aimed at millenials that apparently must treat everything like YouTube. They are horribly redundant and after asking 30 times for the materials like we used to have, I gave up and just stopped taking the CERTS. I can read at least 10 times faster than it takes to get through those horribly stupid videos and retain much more. If I needed to see something, there were also pictures and diagrams available. I have to admit, sometimes the photos did come in handy when puzzling how to take a table apart without damaging it, but for a laptop? Or a Desktop?!?!?!?! (the guy who took my place went through the video training and only lasted ~3 weeks. He was breaking as many laptops as he was fixing!) :shock:

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

DeMus wrote:There are other file-managers on Windows, use those.
Yeah, but not the point (to me anyway.)

Unless you get a copy of Windows with a new computer (an OEM edition), you are going to pay about $200 or more for it. If I'm going to pay for it, and I have in the past, I sure as helk DON'T want ads fired to me, AT ALL.

DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Have left this forum.
Last edited by DeMus on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Arch_Enemy wrote:Unless you get a copy of Windows with a new computer (an OEM edition), you are going to pay about $200 or more for it. If I'm going to pay for it, and I have in the past, I sure as helk DON'T want ads fired to me, AT ALL.
I agree with you. Obviously, it tells you one thing for sure: you don't own the windows license. Just the right to use whatever Microsoft wants. :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

DeMus wrote:There are other file-managers on Windows, use those.
...or dump Windows.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

@Arch- you did well to get out. As someone who 'knows a bit' about computers I'm occasionally asked to help friends and family 'de-coke' their Windows machines; something which for some reason they assume I will cherish the opportunity to do. Having been full time on Mint for a couple of years now, I wonder how I ever put up with Windows.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MintBean wrote:@Arch- you did well to get out. As someone who 'knows a bit' about computers I'm occasionally asked to help friends and family 'de-coke' their Windows machines; something which for some reason they assume I will cherish the opportunity to do. Having been full time on Mint for a couple of years now, I wonder how I ever put up with Windows.
I actually got started many years ago because I needed a package. It was (at that time) $400 for the Windows version; the Linux version required signing up on their website. No brainer, right?

Now, I knew Windows, and knew it well. I also knew the ARPANet fairly well, so WWW was up and coming and was simple.

I downloaded a floppy and after a few failed attempts finally got a good connection and everything downloaded. I bumped my way through "configuration" and got an X display and Gnome. At this time I was familiar with a command line (Windows 3 had just come out...) but what are ALL these commands?!?!?!

I got my video card configured (still a chore in some cases...) and had X running full speed and Gnome with a "KDE Apps" submenu. Every once in a while there was a "confused are you DOING?!?!?" moment. Played along for a while and then Windows NT hit the streets and I got an "advance" copy, so Linux hit the back burner for a while. Still, there was that $400 price tag so I always had Caldera or SuSE installed on a second HDD. (You could get Caldera at Staples for $20 with book). W95 came out, still $400...Windows 98 Came out, still $400...Windows 2000 came out (another advance copy), but now the package was $499...When 2000 started aging I held on as long as I could, but by this time I was also getting SuSE to run pretty smoothly. Then the package stopped working so I went looking for another Distro that it still worked on. I became a distro hopper, never really settling, just trying to keep that package working. I finally settled on Arch for a few reasons; it was a Tweak Freak's dream, it was fun 95% of the time and frustrating 5% of the time, and not only was the package still available but also an older version was in the AUR, and I liked the older version better. But then, that package wasn't as important any more, because Linux had it's own replacement that worked just as well, and Corel offers something similar (and more intuitive) for a $39 license fee that appears to be lifetime.

But, I have always been an OS tweaker, from custom cursor lines in DOS with custom menus systems all written as Batch files to modifying Windows with enough eye candy to make it different to getting under the hood and playing with the command line. Problem is, with Linux, after all these years, I'm lost at the command line. There's SO many commands with SO many switches it's confusing, even to an old-timer. And it's also GREAT!

I finally needed a simple, stable OS for work, so I came back to Mint. To paraphrase a line from my kid's favourite movie from the 90's, "Boring but satisfying".

I still play with Arch, just to keep my frustration level up. Windows...only for those Canons that won't print correctly in Linux. :D

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Arch_Enemy wrote:
MintBean wrote:@Arch- you did well to get out. As someone who 'knows a bit' about computers I'm occasionally asked to help friends and family 'de-coke' their Windows machines; something which for some reason they assume I will cherish the opportunity to do. Having been full time on Mint for a couple of years now, I wonder how I ever put up with Windows.
I actually got started many years ago because I needed a package. It was (at that time) $400 for the Windows version; the Linux version required signing up on their website. No brainer, right?

Now, I knew Windows, and knew it well. I also knew the ARPANet fairly well, so WWW was up and coming and was simple.

I downloaded a floppy and after a few failed attempts finally got a good connection and everything downloaded. I bumped my way through "configuration" and got an X display and Gnome. At this time I was familiar with a command line (Windows 3 had just come out...) but what are ALL these commands?!?!?!

I got my video card configured (still a chore in some cases...) and had X running full speed and Gnome with a "KDE Apps" submenu. Every once in a while there was a "WHAT are you DOING?!?!?" moment. Played along for a while and then Windows NT hit the streets and I got an "advance" copy, so Linux hit the back burner for a while. Still, there was that $400 price tag so I always had Caldera or SuSE installed on a second HDD. (You could get Caldera at Staples for $20 with book). W95 came out, still $400...Windows 98 Came out, still $400...Windows 2000 came out (another advance copy), but now the package was $499...When 2000 started aging I held on as long as I could, but by this time I was also getting SuSE to run pretty smoothly. Then the package stopped working so I went looking for another Distro that it still worked on. I became a distro hopper, never really settling, just trying to keep that package working. I finally settled on Arch for a few reasons; it was a Tweak Freak's dream, it was fun 95% of the time and frustrating 5% of the time, and not only was the package still available but also an older version was in the AUR, and I liked the older version better. But then, that package wasn't as important any more, because Linux had it's own replacement that worked just as well, and Corel offers something similar (and more intuitive) for a $39 license fee that appears to be lifetime.

But, I have always been an OS tweaker, from custom cursor lines in DOS with custom menus systems all written as Batch files to modifying Windows with enough eye candy to make it different to getting under the hood and playing with the command line. Problem is, with Linux, after all these years, I'm lost at the command line. There's SO many commands with SO many switches it's confusing, even to an old-timer. And it's also GREAT!

I finally needed a simple, stable OS for work, so I came back to Mint. To paraphrase a line from my kid's favourite movie from the 90's, "Boring but satisfying".

I still play with Arch, just to keep my frustration level up. Windows...only for those Canons that won't print correctly in Linux. :D
Sigh...that was supposed to be an edit, not a quote... :oops:

mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

it occurred to me this morning that the title for this thread should be
The Tragedy of MSFT
alas

from our Business History lessons we all know the great and mighty fall due to a failure to adapt. the 'Net isn't what it was in its early days: it has morphed from a small, tight-knit community of computer "geeks" into a monster public utility. no one should be surprised to find: there are some bad actors "out there".

someplace I read a blog by Woz discussing malware. The esteemed gentleman said simply: "Your computer should be able to handle it".

hmmmm

I think it's fair to observe: any computer that can't "handle it" (malware attacks) -- is likely to run into serious trouble. we all know what flavors such trouble comes in: pop-up adds -- often just called "bloat ware". Banking Trojans. Ransom ware. Bots. Leaks. and all you have to do in a Windows system is just open an infected document. it would be better if documents were not executable but -- if they must be -- then it will be wise to open them in some type of container -- such as Firejail.

"User convenience" is all well and good but not at the costs which are being imposed by all this malware.

Will MSFT adapt? I'm not sure it's even possible at this point.
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Open chat”