Kids can't use computers

Chat about just about anything else
BeHarley
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Kids can't use computers

Postby BeHarley » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:22 am

Fred Barclay wrote:
BeHarley wrote: When you hit 25 or 30, it starts to decline and you tend to judge others on your experience rather than setting a new lens for the view.

But when you're younger than 25 or 30, you tend to judge others on your inexperience. :P

Learning goes away real quick after 30s.

I don't know about that. I've known people much older than me that could pick up on things much faster than I could, and use that knowledge much better.

Some people have more grasping power than others. But what I have read, scientifically, it says, people over 30s, their learning curve declines.

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Postby coffee412 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:32 am

No kidding about the cash register comment!

How many times I walk into a store and they never count the change back to me. Sometimes I will ask nicely "I dont think I have the right change?" and I watch them. The first thing they do is look at the cash register. lol..

I really worry about what they teach kids in school now a days. They surely are not teaching them what they really should know. Then as they get out into the working world they complain that they are not earning enough money on the hourly wage. But they still cannot count back change. Something to think about. :)
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp * Samba AD * Mint 18.1 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36

richlion2
Level 2
Level 2

Postby richlion2 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 am

An old article, I've read it a long time ago, but still can trigger some responses. The main things that strike me is that if "kids know more than adults about computers than adults", then why are there any IT teachers still around?

The other thing is that it touches a pretty much common conception about those who come to a place and expect an IT person to help them in 5 minutes without taking the time to come early and anticipate problems and get prepared for the presentation. That's the problem with today's society.

When I was at school I would have been expected to be prepared for the new lesson - meaning read something before the lesson to ask proper questions or review the previous lesson to answer teachers questions.

Coming to a remote office and not being prepared for a meeting is one of the must infuriating things I see around me. It is common practice now when we arrive at 8AM at work we have one or two people already at our desk talking to us about "things not working in the meeting room, can you please help?"

I do agree with those who mention the $MS syndrome. This makes people just pure lazy especially kids at school. They stop exploring the world the way my generation did. I used to build my own radios, amplifiers from discrete parts soldered together before I even had any science lessons. These day it's just a "facebook society".

My 2c
Richard

Jeffex
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Jeffex » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:41 am

I am 59, my daughters, who are in their 20's, come to me with "dad, Netflix won't load", "my laptop is really slow!", "HEEEELP!!!"
I compare it to cars. A lot of people drive cars but have no idea what may be wrong when it suddenly won't start.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia, Cinnamon: 3.4.6, Kernel: 4.10.0-40

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Postby austin.texas » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Yesterday, I had a problem, so I called Georgie , the 13 year old next door, whose bedroom looks like Mission Control, and asked him to come over.
Georgie clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem.
As he was walking away, I called after him, 'So, what was wrong?
He replied, 'It was an ID ten T error.'
I didn't want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired, 'An, ID ten T error? What's that? In case I need to fix it again.'
Georgie grinned .. 'Haven't you ever heard of an ID ten T error before?
'No,' I replied.
'Write it down,' he said, 'and I think you'll figure it out.'
So I wrote down:
ID10T
I used to like Georgie...
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2017

Arch_Enemy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Arch_Enemy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:43 pm

coffee412 wrote:No kidding about the cash register comment!

How many times I walk into a store and they never count the change back to me. Sometimes I will ask nicely "I dont think I have the right change?" and I watch them. The first thing they do is look at the cash register. lol..

I really worry about what they teach kids in school now a days. They surely are not teaching them what they really should know. Then as they get out into the working world they complain that they are not earning enough money on the hourly wage. But they still cannot count back change. Something to think about. :)

Because of the policies of this forum, we really cant discuss what they're being indoct...er...taught in schools these days. :wink:

However, it sure isn't what they need to get them through life, unless it's "Do you want fries with that?"

It's the self-starters that prosper now.
$0.02+a grain of salt...

Arch_Enemy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Arch_Enemy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:45 pm

austin.texas wrote:Yesterday, I had a problem, so I called Georgie , the 13 year old next door, whose bedroom looks like Mission Control, and asked him to come over.
Georgie clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem.
As he was walking away, I called after him, 'So, what was wrong?
He replied, 'It was an ID ten T error.'
I didn't want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired, 'An, ID ten T error? What's that? In case I need to fix it again.'
Georgie grinned .. 'Haven't you ever heard of an ID ten T error before?
'No,' I replied.
'Write it down,' he said, 'and I think you'll figure it out.'
So I wrote down:
ID10T
I used to like Georgie...

<SNERK!>

(I was laughing so hard I could barely type! :D )
$0.02+a grain of salt...

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Bolle1961 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:09 pm

austin.texas wrote:I used to like Georgie...

I like his humour :D :lol:

Return to “Open chat”