Kids can't use computers

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Kids can't use computers

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

They click 'OK' in dialogue boxes without reading the message.
Truth. I can't keep track the number of times this happens when a user asks for assistance to a problem they're having on a computer. When I ask them to show me what they did in order to reproduce the problem, they go through the motions and click the OK button without even giving the time of day to read the error message. :roll:
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

RaptorCyrus wrote:Why not pull off the Internet assess for young children?
Makes sense. The article is not about young children, though.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

coffee412 wrote:IMHO, People today do not know how to use much of anything. Something has gone wrong with people. Im not complaining that people in general should be able to setup a server or a large network. But they should understand what a browser is and how to connect to the internet - but they really do not. I think (right now) that this is the fault of companies like M$. The reasoning is that 'Make it as simple as possible' and this will increase the profit margin for the company. However, The downside to this is that you sacrifice learning and dumb down the population as a whole.

Today there is so much more opportunity to learn but no one is taking the time to learn. We have Youtube videos, Websites and more filled with valuable information that all you have to do is go there and learn all you want. Still, Most people never bother. Instead they sit in front of the TV and watch some sitcom. To be fair, There is a segment of the population that just does not have the time to spend hours reading or watching a video on how to get something done. They are busy with life's challenges - kids, work ect. I understand that.

In schools, Kids should not be isolated to just M$ products. This raises a generation of people that do not understand the basics of computers and totally depend on seeing a familiar icon (Internet Explorer) otherwise they have no idea what to do. These kids get no exposure to the alternate operating systems (except apple) and the computers they are exposed to are so neutered (software wise) that they give up understanding the idea behind it and just "Click this button to do this".

What I find most interesting is that we have raised a generation of Children that basically do not want to learn. They feel everything is entitled to them. After all, Dad and Mom gave them everything that they wanted - or someone did. Why should this change? They have no practical training when it comes time to leave home on their own. This is reflected in their attitudes towards everything in life. They do not understand the benefits of learning an alternate operating system like linux because most computers use Windows. When you tell them of all the evil that such an operating system has become - like the implications of security they shrug it off with excuses like "I have nothing to hide so why should I care?". I try to teach them that "Because sooner or later there will come a day of reckoning".

I have to blame Corporations and Big Business for most of this. After all, When you start thinking of George Orwell and '1984' we that have had the upbringing to think for ourselves it becomes abundantly clear that 'Big Brother' is not the actual governments but the Corporations in general.

Many times I have told people "Do not store things on 'the cloud' and do not use free email services for anything that you would not put on a post card". But they are so ingrained into the easy way of doing things and having corporations do their thinking for them that sensibility flies out the window.

"Dont worry, Your personal information is safe with us". Except those are the very companies you want to hide it from - and its not safe.
"Dont worry, You do not need to know all that just click this button".

M$, Apple and a host of other corporations have fostered this type of thinking in order to boost their bottom line. They have sold off a whole generation for sake of the mighty dollar.

Part of the reason I am not a Dell tech any more is the Certification process.

We used to go to whatever new products they wanted us to learn, go to the documentation, look through the docs, take the test, pass with at least a 95 and off to work we went.

When my company got the contract back again, I found all the training materials are now videos. While I do great with visuals, these videos were geared to the Lowest Common Denominator, and often redundant across the product lines. Yes, I KNOW all that from the last fifty videos!!! Why not present it in ONE video and then "Refer to video #1 for details"?

There is no way to pass the certs without using the videos. I found the text and photo based materials are still there, but you don't get credit unless you watch the videos. I can do quite well by READING, thank you, but they don't accept that any more. And these videos were really Mickey Mouse stuff. Like troubleshooting memory: "Remove all memory from the system. Try one stick in slot A. If that doesn't work, try it in slot B. If it works, slot A is probably bad. Now try the other stick..." etc.

If you don't know basic troubleshooting skills, you should probably be asking, "Do you want fries with that?" and not fixing Dells. :roll: And that's just one example. Most of them were as insipid, or worse.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Arch_Enemy wrote:If you don't know basic troubleshooting skills, you should probably be asking, "Do you want fries with that?" and not fixing Dells. :roll: And that's just one example. Most of them were as insipid, or worse.
YouTube: Ding Fries are Done
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's supposed to be satire but it hits close to home :lol: Parents Ashamed of Non-Hacker 'noob' Son
Plons
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Plons »

I am currently reading Carl Sagan's book "The Demon-haunted World", with sub-title "Science as a candle in the dark". Carl makes a very strong point on how crucial a proper educational system is for our civilisation to survive. He wrote it 20 years ago but the contents reflects very much the current situation. Specificly on education.
Recommended book !

Cheers,
Nard
Leef met vlag en wimpel maar hou het simpel (translation: Live with flying colours but KISS)
Seff

Post by Seff »

Heh, here's something interesting. "Kids simply click the OK button", right? In Linux, if you don't understand the error message, at least you can copy its text to the clipboard. Then you can show it to someone who knows computers... Also, it's worth noting that the other wrote another post, "One Year On", stating that he knew some kids who were very tech-savvy.
BeHarley

Post by BeHarley »

Citizen229 wrote:When I was young we got sent outside. Forcibly. We usually played with sticks, and beat the crap out of each other.

That is what I and my brother would do all the time when were asked to go out and play and leave our video games paused on a Dx4 pc. :lol:
BeHarley

Post by BeHarley »

But I would agree with the post, saying children learns faster. I have my nephew example in front of me in this regard. He's operating the freaking iPad himself, he is 4 only. he knows how to get the apps, where to get them and how to use them. He'd only give iPad away to me or someone elder to put Apple ID and password on it.

Learning capabilities in children are far more than elders. When you hit 25 or 30, it starts to decline and you tend to judge others on your experience rather than setting a new lens for the view. This is true. Learning goes away real quick after 30s.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BeHarley wrote: Learning capabilities in children are far more than elders. When you hit 25 or 30, it starts to decline and you tend to judge others on your experience rather than setting a new lens for the view. This is true. Learning goes away real quick after 30s.
Problem is, they are using machines to do their thinking for them. Being tech savvy is good, but when you can't make change without a cash register...

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

BeHarley wrote: When you hit 25 or 30, it starts to decline and you tend to judge others on your experience rather than setting a new lens for the view.
But when you're younger than 25 or 30, you tend to judge others on your inexperience. :P
Learning goes away real quick after 30s.
I don't know about that. I've known people much older than me that could pick up on things much faster than I could, and use that knowledge much better.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
deleted

Post by deleted »

I *think* the problem is a history problem. I've seen lots of younger prima donnas who won't even bother to use google to see if they are re-inventing the wheel.
They'd rather think they know more than anyone else.
-H
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Learning as you age, is like your taste in food changing. what want to learn is how well you digest it. When I was younger I absolutely hated history and could not absorb it well. Now in my age, I love the subject and its easy to absorb it because it is now interesting to me.
Tech is a little different than most subjects. Usually the mechanically inclined people can get in depth alot quicker than those who are not. The basic logic process Is a very good start and a trait of both. But the individual still has to WANT to learn. the desire is the key factor in how well a subject is absorbed.
I realize I am the oddball. Since all but being done with gaming, most of my web time is learning something. From my observation of the folks younger than myself, they learn the USE of tech easily. When it comes to anything else it makes them mentally inferior. For example, I have met several folks who cannot read or use a map. They have grown up with a GPS on their phone their entire life. It makes me remember when they big issue was graphical calculator in mathematics classes. Educators cried bloody murder it would make the student education time inferior. Looking back, I believe they were right.
deleted

Post by deleted »

History in the tech industry deals with concept, not implementation.
The prima donnas think they have thought of something new. It may be a new implementation, but rarely a new concept.
(especially as we start marching our way back to "dumb terminals" by using browser-based apps)
-H
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

hinto wrote: (especially as we start marching our way back to "dumb terminals" by using browser-based apps)
-H
Bwahahaha! This is where I started...

deleted

Post by deleted »

How about this... The "texting model" is really the same as a listserv.
Granted the text is delivered to the phone inbox, rather than an email inbox, but the 1-to-many is the same.
-H
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

I think this is another time for me to bring the the Ribbon UI vs. Traditional UI of MS Office:
1. There are old people who know the traditional UI, but have trouble using the Ribbon.
2. There are old people who know the traditional UI, and can adapt to using the Ribbon.
3. There are young people who know the Ribbon, but easily get confused by the traditional UI.
4. There are young people who know the Ribbon, and can learn to use apps with the traditional UI.

Should I say that 1 & 3 can't use computers?
Aily

Post by Aily »

Got to admit I'm among those who knows nothing about computers. :oops:
I know how to use it but that's about it. Once or twice a week I play some pc-game and then have to load windows, because I'm too stupid to make it work on my LM.
When I use the terminal I'm on dangerous ground, because I have no idea what I'm really doing. I just have to trust the guides and the people who tries to help me.

As for my kids, they're worse off than I am. They rely on my help... :lol:
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

@Ally

Its not as bad as you think. You are here, so you are well ahead of the curve.
BeHarley

Post by BeHarley »

Arch_Enemy wrote:
BeHarley wrote: Learning capabilities in children are far more than elders. When you hit 25 or 30, it starts to decline and you tend to judge others on your experience rather than setting a new lens for the view. This is true. Learning goes away real quick after 30s.
Problem is, they are using machines to do their thinking for them. Being tech savvy is good, but when you can't make change without a cash register...

Yes one should not just totally depend on tech stuff.

Return to “Open Chat”