Kids can't use computers

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
deleted

Re: Kids can't use computers

Post by deleted »

In that vein, it's really funny that despite of the "new" technology of:
  • blog
  • twitter
  • forum posts
  • comments
  • instagram
  • facebook
  • snapchat
  • instant message
All are 1/2 duplex (late 19th/early 20th century technology)
Pretty much the equivalent of a walkie-talkie
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

BenTrabetere wrote:I guess I am the only person who felt sympathy for the twenty-something with the MacBook or thought the blogger deserved a good trout-slapping.
No, I agree with you.
He complains about being stereotyped as socially inept, then goes on to tell how he often makes extremely sarcastic remarks to people who are merely asking for help with something they don't understand and he does. I wouldn't classify that as socially adept in a professional situation, especially in a school where the emphasis should be to help and support those with less knowledge. The display and further documentation of such behavior clearly indicates a great deal of dissatisfaction with his career choice. I cannot believe such an attitude creates a very positive learning environment.

Each example he gives demonstrates how little tolerance he has for those who really need the help of a good teacher the most. Every time his response is to impatiently fix it himself rather than try to help them to figure it out on their own. The fact is that he is actually teaching students to do exactly what he finds so reprehensible, getting someone else to fix their computer when they could probably do it on their own.
Then he says that everyone else is to blame for this situation. Any failure to educate children properly in the field of computing is the fault of those we pay to educate them.

He claims this situation is dangerous and we should fear those with no computer knowledge who carry devices that are finally simple enough that almost anyone can use them but admits that he doesn't have any mechanical knowledge about cars. If as many people died in computer crashes as car crashes we certainly wouldn't have to worry about overpopulation any more.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Well, those sorts of people are pretty much anti-social in nature.

Whether that's learned mal-adaptive behavior, or a personality disorder, or some other deeper, more genetic or neurological thing, I really have no idea.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Well, I guess the writer went overboard when it was supposed to respond only to "Kids today know more about computers than adults".
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

*Yawn*

An older generation complaining about the younger generation. Nothing to see here. This has been going on since forever.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

BenTrabetere wrote:I guess I am the only person who felt sympathy for the twenty-something with the MacBook or thought the blogger deserved a good trout-slapping.

Every time I see a statement like "Kids can't use computers" I recall a story Bob Hope used to tell about the round of golf he played with professional golfer, Jan Stephenson. He asked how she liked his game and she replied, “Well, it’s OK, but I still prefer golf.”

I am sure the twenty-something knew how to connect to a WiFi network - the blogger was merely following Twain's “Never let the truth get in the way of a good story” maxim. I suspect she did try to connect to the WiFi network, and when her attempts to connect failed she asked for help. I cannot fault her for that. Also, I cannot fault a visitor for being unaware of the proxy server or its settings. I suspect this was a first-time substitute teacher on the verge of a nervous breakdown because she could not get her computer to work with the school's system.

I am sure I would invite this blogger's ridicule if I were invited to make a presentation at his school. If my first couple of attempts trying to connect to the system failed, I would stop trying. I don't see the point wasting my time trying to figure out the WiFi or the A / V equipment when I can hand my computer to someone familiar with the system and equipment.

Yes, there are stupid users who make stupid mistakes. There also are expert users who do stupid things. I doubt any of the blogger's lusers will ever use the -R option one directory higher than intended.
Well said.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

That blog article is SO true. There was a study done a couple of years ago to see just how computer savvy university students really are. They don't even know how to do a Google search ...

I've discussed this with a couple of people I know who work in the tech help centre for students in the local university. They just laughed and rolled their eyes.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

The motivation was simple: they could earn € 20
Earning your own money is quite the motivational tool.

As for the title of the blog post, I think kids will learn when it interests them. At 5 their interest is in toys -- at 10 it may be computers -- at 15 it's dating. They'll learn what they want, when they want.

Personally, I think the blog post should have been about how adults, who sit in front of a computer 8 hours a day, every day of their lives, can't use computers. Kids I'm not worried about; adult co-workers with zero ambition to learn are the problem.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

CaptainKirksChair wrote:
As for the title of the blog post, I think kids will learn when it interests them.
And what they learn will surprise you ... and the kids.

This occurred several years ago, and I can't remember if it was I was living in Columbus, Ohio or in Dallas, Texas. A mathematics professor retired from a local university offered to teach an after-school mathematics class for the students at the school near his house. It was a stereotypical inner-city neighborhood and school.

He got immediate push-back from ... the principal. Our students aren't smart enough for that. To test the principal's assertion he pulled aside a child and asked him to solve a Mixed Nuts problem: If you have a 1-lb bag of mixed nuts and 50% is peanuts, what is the weight of the peanuts in the bag?

The child did not understand the question, much less attempt to answer it, and the principal replied, "See, not smart enough."

The professor then asked the boy a basketball question. Something like, "If you shoot 9 for 15 from the free throw line, what is your shooting percentage." Without hesitation he said, "Sixty percent." He could do math ... as long as it wasn't math.

To the best of my knowledge the class was never offered.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
deleted

Post by deleted »

z31fanatic wrote:*Yawn*

An older generation complaining about the younger generation. Nothing to see here. This has been going on since forever.
Not complaining... Chuckling.
-H
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

vladtepes wrote:Harumph.... kids today.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X4VP8CGtk
So tired I can't use a computer right now!!!
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

vladtepes wrote:Harumph.... kids today.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X4VP8CGtk
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
mariad_10

Post by mariad_10 »

Kids today are more intelligent and outgoing compared to older people. They will learn quick and we need to accept the fact.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

mariad_10 wrote:Kids today are more intelligent and outgoing compared to older people.
Is that so? I don't see much reason to believe that.
mariad_10 wrote:They will learn quick and we need to accept the fact.
Oh yes, children can learn much faster than older people, that is widely known to be true. Not hard to accept, either.

Still, that doesn't mean that they always are better with computers. Did you read the article/blogpost?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
deleted

Post by deleted »

yuk yuk yuk (still chuckling)
RaptorCyrus

Post by RaptorCyrus »

Why not pull off the Internet assess for young children?
Easy, fast and effective
No Anti-virus required.
NO NSA DETECT!

When I was young and using Windows 98 is totally not plug to adsl modem
Until my family bought the wifi rotor and first time surfing Internet.
I have no idea why today's computer must assess to internet
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

When I was young we got sent outside. Forcibly. We usually played with sticks, and beat the crap out of each other.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

We went out to play when I was little. "Be home before the streetlights turn on" my Mother would tell us. We played "Kick the can", "Spotlight 17", And thought a refrigerator shipping box was a gift from God.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

Yep good times.

Return to “Open Chat”