Why do we need so much help...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
chrisuk

Re: Why do we need so much help...

Post by chrisuk »

Some interesting posts.

On the overpopulation points raised (which is relevant, as more and better Medicines means increased lifespan and population); the Earth's resources aren't infinite, our population continues to increase - there has to be a point when there's too many Humans - the argument is over whether we've reached that point already.

A thought just occurred to me, and I've not checked this, so I anticipate being corrected:

I would guess that since our population reached one billion, every species in the animal kingdom has declined (probably excluding the species we eat). And as our numbers have grown. the decline has increased... except for species living off of us and our rubbish - so Mice, Rats, and Cockroach populations have increased in line with ours. So who is more successful, us or the "Vermin"? And even if you decide that we are more successful than Vermin, without us the Vermin wouldn't thrive - so we've changed the balance of life on Earth in favour of ourselves and the Vermin... quite an achievement ;)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Whether caused by man or caused by nature / the universe lobbing rocks at the earth, species that don't adapt to changing circumstance go extinct.

As for overpopulation, Kursgezagt have an informative piece on that as well: Overpopulation – The Human Explosion Explained.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

richyrich wrote:Do a search on the Georgia Guidestones and read what the Elite's definition of "sustain" is. And what would happen to the other 7 billion ? Start a war maybe ? perhaps ?
I have read about the "Guidestones" and what is on them a number of times before. I don't have any reason to believe that they were placed there by the "Elites" (whoever that is to you), nor do I have any reason to believe that they have affected me or will affect me in any way. Unless by "Elites" you mean the people who own all or most of the governments on this planet. And wouldn't the "Elites" want to keep their plans hidden from us mere mortals? Why advertise them? Some of those guidelines make a great deal of sense, especially, perhaps, "Leave room for nature." We haven't done a very good job on that one. As for what will happen to the other 7 billion people, we are determinedly pursuing our own extinction, in several different ways, even. (Changing the climate to something hostile to human life, nuking ourselves out of existence, or perhaps slowly radiating ourselves out of existence [Fukishima, as you mentioned. Also, Hanford.] ... And likely a few others.)
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

richyrich wrote:compare the size of Texas to the arable land mass of the whole world. (Yes including frigid Canada, lol) There might even be room to breathe . .
Yes, might. Assuming we all adopt a much simpler lifestyle than we are currently living. A National Geographic study in 2005 said that nearly half of the land that could be used for agriculture was currently being used for agriculture.
richyrich wrote:I was always told that PCBs were being completely burned in specially built incinerators. If those scientists are correct, somebody has been dumping toxins and poisons into the Oceans for, I can only wonder, how many years ?
We have been dumping PCBs into the environment ever since they were invented. It used to be common to dump them on dirt roads to keep the dust down. Certainly much of that has been washed into the ocean by now. Undoubtedly many people/companies disposed of any PCBs they might have possessed in whatever way seemed most convenient to them. And if I remember correctly, when I lived in North Carolina in the 1980s and 1990s, somebody got busted for dumping PCBs on rural roads, long after the well known dumping incidents that took place in 1978. (It could have been something else, though.)
richyrich wrote:Heard about the millions of tons of plastics found in the Arctic ocean ?
Yes, of course. And the Pacific Gyre, also know as the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.
richyrich wrote:No wonder Steven Hawking is now telling the world that we have to escape the planet within a 100 years or face extinction.
Think we will last that long? There are several plans in the works to colonize Mars, including one from Elon Musk, who seems to be pretty good at accomplishing whatever he wants to do.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

CaptainKirksChair wrote:
His bias against science...
Crichton had no bias against science. He believed in the scientific method. Which is, real word tests that give reproducible results (as opposed to computer models) and the requirement that before any hypothesis can become a theory, it must be capable of being proven false. Because it just might be.
That sounds like a great idea: continue on the path we are currently on until we have proven one way or the other whether it will lead to extinction. You realize, don't you, that you can only run that experiment once? We won't be able to run that experiment to reproduce those results a second time; destroying the ability of a planet to support life is a one-shot deal. I think most of use would like to be safe rather than sorry. We have known about the effects of the atmosphere on the temperature of the Earth for a long time. Joseph Fourier calculated in 1824 that, given the energy radiated from the sun, and Earth's distance from the sun, that the average temperature of the Earth should be about 0 degrees F. Instead, it is about 60 degrees F. His conclusion was that the atmosphere was holding heat in that would otherwise be re-radiated to space. In 1859, John Tyndall conducted experiments to determine which atmospheric gases trapped heat, and how strong the effect was. In 1896, Svante Arrhenius calculated how much burning the then-known coal reserves would heat the planet. As far as computer modeling, I have used modeling in my engineering work, and have found it to be very useful. Besides, the other option would be to run the immoral experiment you suggested.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

chrisuk wrote:...to just live?
No other Animal on the planet needs such things - many have existed for far longer than Humans. There are species with a much longer lifespan than us (even a Koi Carp allegedly lived for over 200 years - there's Whales and Eels too ), and they need no interventions, they just live.

So why are we so different, is it just our desire to live longer? Or have we become so weak as a species, that every ache requires a tablet to make it go away.
We are only different because of knowledge, that's about it.
I am sure if animals had the amount of knowledge we have and the ability to use it like we do, they probably would go down some similar path we did, who knows maybe they would be more saner with that ability then we have been.

As it stands right now, who is saner, the animals or the humans?
Maybe ignorance is bliss.

They don't go out of there way to destroy the planet, we do
They don't create wars for insane reasons, we do
They seem to live in balance with nature, we fight nature and either try to control it or destroy it
The list can go on and on

So yup in my opinion it's all about knowledge and the ability to learn

Just look all that has happen to the planet just because of money and everyones lives, including all animals.
creations of our mind shall be a blessing and not a curse to mankind.
Albert Einstein
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

The fact is that every ecosystem has an Apex predator of some sort. We just happen to have the widest range of any land mammal, and happen to be that apex species. If it weren't homo sapiens it would be someone else, doing much the same thing.

If you are all torn up about it and need something to blame, take a long hard look at your opposable thumb....
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

jimallyn wrote:
richyrich wrote:compare the size of Texas to the arable land mass of the whole world. (Yes including frigid Canada, lol) There might even be room to breathe . .
Yes, might. Assuming we all adopt a much simpler lifestyle than we are currently living. A National Geographic study in 2005 said that nearly half of the land that could be used for agriculture was currently being used for agriculture.
Soylent Green, anyone?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

jimallyn wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:the same "Earth Scientist" who started ringing the Global Warming bell is the same person who told us in the 1970's we were going to freeze.
And who would that be? The reason I ask is because there was never any scientific consensus that the earth was going to get drastically colder. There were a few articles in the popular press, but little or nothing in the scientific literature.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

I believe it was either Emilani or Mitchell. I can't remember...I used to smoke my joints down too far back then...I do remember the sudden change of mind, however, and that he wanted to shut down oil companies.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

austin.texas wrote:
jimallyn wrote:
Soylent Green, anyone?
No thanks. It varies from person to person...

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

jimallyn wrote:
CaptainKirksChair wrote:
His bias against science...
Crichton had no bias against science. He believed in the scientific method. Which is, real word tests that give reproducible results (as opposed to computer models) and the requirement that before any hypothesis can become a theory, it must be capable of being proven false. Because it just might be.
That sounds like a great idea: continue on the path we are currently on until we have proven one way or the other whether it will lead to extinction. You realize, don't you, that you can only run that experiment once? We won't be able to run that experiment to reproduce those results a second time; destroying the ability of a planet to support life is a one-shot deal. I think most of use would like to be safe rather than sorry. We have known about the effects of the atmosphere on the temperature of the Earth for a long time. Joseph Fourier calculated in 1824 that, given the energy radiated from the sun, and Earth's distance from the sun, that the average temperature of the Earth should be about 0 degrees F. Instead, it is about 60 degrees F. His conclusion was that the atmosphere was holding heat in that would otherwise be re-radiated to space. In 1859, John Tyndall conducted experiments to determine which atmospheric gases trapped heat, and how strong the effect was. In 1896, Svante Arrhenius calculated how much burning the then-known coal reserves would heat the planet. As far as computer modeling, I have used modeling in my engineering work, and have found it to be very useful. Besides, the other option would be to run the immoral experiment you suggested.
The whole universe is an experiment. Sometimes I think "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" got it right.

Besides, there will be another war, or a pestilence or asteroid strike. The earth is always doing something to rid itself of parasites.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

richyrich wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:They keep getting dumber...
hahaha , and believing anything and everything that infamous boob-tube tells them. :lol:
Or, worse, politicians...

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

richyrich wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:Each has ended in an ice age that lasted ~60,000 years.

Isn't science wonderful?
Well . . by the scientific method, that is an assumption !
Measured by the Vostok Ice Core samples, based on thickness of layers and CO2 trapped in the ice. Thin layers had more CO2, thick layers had lower levels.

What bothers me the most is the ones doing the most gum-flapping about Global Warming are also the ones who want to shut down all current methods of energy production, with no viable replacement on the horizon.
The real killer is if you mention things like wind power, they pooh pooh that with "Kills birds". Some even exploited some solar panels using parabolic mirrors to concentrate the sun's rays to ALL solar panels, claiming they "fry birds in flight". (seriously...I'm not making this up. I live in the whackiest part of Massachusetts, and every time an alternate energy company comes here they are chased off with the "KILLS BIRDS" argument. They finally realize they are dealing with l00natics and head off somewhere inhabited by sane people...)

Of course, the problem with alternative energy is you either need the wind blowing or the sun shining. BTW, I love the Netherlands. They moved their windmills...to the median between Superhighway lanes. Out of the way, unobtrusive, and those who complain about the noise wouldn't live there because of the highway noise anyway. Besides, there is not much as awesome as watching one of those huge windmills turning lazily in the breeze.

Now, if we could just keep birds from flying into them... :roll:

richyrich

Post by richyrich »

@samriggs - +1 :-)

I think Science has to stop, and take a hard look at itself, and how far it has fallen from the "Scientific Method". Originally, there was no room for assumptions or consensus, and any such would have been quickly dismissed and even ridiculed. Since when has an assumption become, and is treated, as a fact ?
To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is commonly based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.
(emphasis mine)
I'm going to hit that dreaded "religion" button, when I say that modern science today needs more "faith" than actual religion.

(mods, if this offends, please delete)
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

richyrich wrote:@samriggs - +1 :-)

I think Science has to stop, and take a hard look at itself, and how far it has fallen from the "Scientific Method". Originally, there was no room for assumptions or consensus, and any such would have been quickly dismissed and even ridiculed. Since when has an assumption become, and is treated, as a fact ?
To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry is commonly based on empirical or measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.
(emphasis mine)
I'm going to hit that dreaded "religion" button, when I say that modern science today needs more "faith" than actual religion.

A field of science based on consensus and not mathematics, is not a science. It is a psuedo-science. The GW field is set on proving it exists and we are the cause. Real science would dictate you prove it exists first, then the cause. When your grants specifically state the goal is to prove it does exist and not IF it exists, your science is now psuedo-science. Is GW a hoax? probably. Could GW be real? probably. With inaccurate or tampered with data to create models that will never be right, it is hard to tell. Most nations who care( the cleanest nations BTW), the first word from their mouth is Tax. That makes me extra suspicious from the start.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

(emphasis mine)

Congress in the US was vilified as "putting an end to science" by a teacher at a "Free School" one day when I was doing work there. I came home and looked up the New Yorker article she referenced.

Congress was requesting data from some GW scientists, I think, at NASA and subpoenaing their data, copies of their computer models, etc. Of course, it was to end scientific research, as the teacher had conjectured, right?

Not quite. Realizing their prediction of +5C at that point in time had fallen short (by 2C) they decided..."oops, we measure the base temperature wayyy back in 1975 incorrectly...we were 2 degrees C too high" so they changed the base temp level and all correlated data downwards by 2C. Right. There's sound scientific method...base everything on an initial reading, make all your measurements and calculations against the initial base reading, and when you realize you were wrong, change the base reading to match your prediction.

Sure sounds like 'censuring scientists' to me... :roll:

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Citizen229 wrote:

(emphasis mine)

A field of science based on consensus and not mathematics, is not a science. It is a psuedo-science. The GW field is set on proving it exists and we are the cause. Real science would dictate you prove it exists first, then the cause. When your grants specifically state the goal is to prove it does exist and not IF it exists, your science is now psuedo-science. Is GW a hoax? probably. Could GW be real? probably. With inaccurate or tampered with data to create models that will never be right, it is hard to tell. Most nations who care( the cleanest nations BTW), the first word from their mouth is Tax. That makes me extra suspicious from the start.
Oh, GW is real, for sure. The temperature and CO2 have definitely risen +3C since the beginning of records.

The problem is, it does it approx every 150,000 years. As mentioned, according to the Vostok Ice cores, it has happened 3 times in the past, with CO2 levels just as high, and in one episode it appears temps were even higher than they are now, with nary an internal combustion engine to be seen.

When the Global Warming thing and Al Gore and his PP presentation came out, it was believed CO2 led temperature. But a close analysis of the data from the Ice Core samples quickkly begs the question, "Does CO2 lead temperature, or does temperature lead CO2?" I wrote a paper about that back in 2002 (I take every Geology course I can that I have the math prerequisites for, math being a weak point in my academic history) and got an A on it, with the comment, "Interesting theory".

Apparently it was, since the scientists doing the REAL work on warming (and the disappearance of species; every episode results in a loss of ~25% of the species on Earth) are beginning to believe from actual empirical data, that temperature does lead CO2.

One person in my area says GW has caused the loss of FIFTY-TWO PERCENT of life on Earth as of 2 years ago. :shock: Half of all life on Earth is gone?!?!
Well, it's actually 16%, with a RATE of 5.2%. As, so, we fudged the numbers. It's more dramatic that way, right? :roll: BTW, as of 3 years ago, the prediction is for extinction of 22% for this episode. About average for a warming period.

The question is, once the Ice Age begins, what are they going to think then?? Ice Ages eliminate far more life than warming periods. Warming periods only kill off plants, insects and sea life, as a rule. Ice ages kill off mammals as well.

Too bad we aren't going to be around to prove this: I believe GW is in the dying throes, and we have turned the corner. It will take 500 years before this can be proved, so you're just going to have to take my word for it. ;)

Oh, and if you thought catastrophic weather caused by warming was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet...

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

PS: The Vostok Ice Core samples only provide a snapshot to the past 450,000 years. As far as I know, not much has been done about climate prior to that, and doubtfully will. You also have to realize, the Earth is still cooling, so data prior to that will not serve the scientists looking to prove Global Warming. In fact, the entire universe is trying to reach one temperature, and that temperature is very, very cold. The Earth will be an ice cube, frozen solid when this is accomplished. If it survives the sun going Super Nova, that is.

chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

I can't see a connection between Medicines (or anything else I mentioned in my OP) and Global Warming... but that's cool, I like threads that mimic a conversation at the local Pub (Bar) - they start simple and are restricted to one subject... then people gradually get more and more drunk - the Government gets mentioned - Secret Societies with World Domination as their goal - Aliens - Religion - and then... yep, Global Warming ;)

Now I don't understand the science behind Climate Change (I've a feeling nobody does), so I've no idea if Global Warming is real, and if it is, whether it's caused by Humans. But I'm pretty sure of two things: We won't know who's right until it's too late - and there's probably nothing we can do to change the outcome anyway. So we should do what makes us feel better, like we are actually doing some good. I doubt we can make it worse, and at least we'll all feel good about ourselves ;)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

chrisuk wrote:I can't see a connection between Medicines (or anything else I mentioned in my OP) and Global Warming... but that's cool,
I can link Medicines and Global Warming. The same type of person who, in the 19th Century, when informed of the existence of bacteria, said, "That's nonsense. Nothing that small could hurt me"... today that same type of person says "That's nonsense. The planet is huge. How could anything we do make any difference?" - all in an effort to avoid acting responsibly.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Open Chat”