sghose
Level 1
Level 1

Please suggest me a Mint Version

Post by sghose »

I have an older laptop which uses the following hardware configuration
CPU: Intel cor 2 duo at 2.0 GHz
Ram: 2GB
Which version of Mint linux will be better for me to install?

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Please suggest me a Mint Version

Post by WharfRat »

Hello sghose Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Probably the best choices for you are either Mate or XFCE.

I prefer Mate even with my newer hardware.

The others, especially Cinnamon, are tough on older hardware.

Good luck and enjoy your Linux experience :wink:
ImageImage

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

It really depends on what your usage will be. If you plan on some moderate to intensive graphics, you'll need new hardware and should install Cinnamon or KDE. If you plan on some web browsing, email, on-line videos, word processing, spreadsheets, listening to locally stored music...stuff like that, then yes, Xfce or Mate would be best with your current hardware. That's not to say Xfce or Mate can't do the graphics work; they can. It's just they are less resource hungry.

Build a LiveUSB of both Mint Xfce 18.1 and Mint Mate 18.1 and try them both. You don't have to install; you can just test drive them for a while. Then install the one that gives you the best results. I've tried them all and keep coming back to Cinnamon. Though my hardware is a bit more powerful than yours. The nice thing about Mint is you can decide which Desktop Environment fits your hardware and your needs, then install what works. Try that with Windows or OSX. (Pardon me while I laugh my @$$ off.)

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

+1 for either Mate or XFCE.
don't push it too much on video steaming or youtube, though.

& it may not work too well with Kde or Cinnamon, either.
- I'd start with trying out the Mate DE first.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

I advise Xfce. The most lightweight of them all, yet user-friendly, complete and good looking. :)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... /mint-xfce
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

ilikereading
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilikereading »

Which one fits your style is good.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "sghose",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup and hardware, like is your computer 32-bit or 64-bit, make and model number, etc...? You can probably get this information from your System information options. In Linux, If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

You can always create bootable DVD's or USB flash drive stick(s) (if your computer can boot to USB) of each edition of Linux Mint (Cinnamon, Mate, KDE, & Xfce) and try them for yourself to see which works best for your hardware and that you like the most.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

I second xfce or third it
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

The desktop environment (aka edition) is a matter of taste, so only you can decide. I have one similar hardware running Mint 17 with Cinnamon and it works pretty well.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus »

Stay with Mint 17.x, don't use 18 or 18.1 since it will make your computer way too slow. Happened to me on my wife's computer which had a q6600 quad-core 2.4 GHz processor. Mint 17.3 was okay but as soon as I installed 18 (complete fresh install) it came almost to a complete stop.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

DeMus wrote:Stay with Mint 17.x, don't use 18 or 18.1 since it will make your computer way too slow. Happened to me on my wife's computer which had a q6600 quad-core 2.4 GHz processor. Mint 17.3 was okay but as soon as I installed 18 (complete fresh install) it came almost to a complete stop.
Your experience, not mine. In my experience, 18.x is just as fast as 17.x. On all of my machines, including some oldies.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Lucky you.

redbeard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by redbeard »

I concur with DeMus. I have an 8-year old desktop (see below). It was running Mint 17 Cinnamon with good performance. As soon as I clean installed Mint 18 the performance drop was obvious and substantial. Everything slowed but Firefox took the worst hit to where it's actually unpleasant to use now. I thought 18.1 might fix it but no. Now I'm thinking about either going back to 17 or trying an altogether different distro for this machine.

My System:
Dell Inspiron-530s Desktop
Dual core Pentium E5200: 2048 KB, 2500 MHz
DRAM: 4GB
Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Disc: Crucial BX100 256 GB SATA SSD
Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn »

redbeard wrote:I concur with DeMus. I have an 8-year old desktop (see below). It was running Mint 17 Cinnamon with good performance. As soon as I clean installed Mint 18 the performance drop was obvious and substantial. Everything slowed but Firefox took the worst hit to where it's actually unpleasant to use now. I thought 18.1 might fix it but no. Now I'm thinking about either going back to 17 or trying an altogether different distro for this machine.

My System:
Dell Inspiron-530s Desktop
Dual core Pentium E5200: 2048 KB, 2500 MHz
DRAM: 4GB
Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Disc: Crucial BX100 256 GB SATA SSD
Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Different hardware can have different results for any distro. This doesn't mean 18 or 18.1 is bad.

Both of my primary machines are somewhat old. One was originally built in the days of XP but is refurbished to have some more modern hardware the other was from the period where stores were putting Windows 7 machines on clearance to make room for 8. Both run great on LMDE and the "older" one runs great with anything I've tried on it, including 18 and 18.1. The "newer" one can't run anything Ubuntu based because the ATI card doesn't like X11 (memory leak) which I could never resolve. Actually it has the memory leak with every distro I've tried (including Arch and Fedora based) except actual Debian and LMDE.

If you really like Cinnamon and want the more recent version you might be able to get better performance back by going to LMDE. A few sacrifices there. No PPAs, less readily available support and some software is older. No PPAs means finding debs which the debs on a PPA repo usually work (but you won't get updates unless you manually apply them). If you've been with Mint as long as it appears you might be good at finding support without asking questions so that might not matter much. If you are willing to use backports you can get more up to date software and Mint and Cinnamon specific tools get updates before the Ubuntu based versions.

Another note, some prefer the way Debian handles package maintenance over Debian's policies.

Otherwise, I would say if it is "unpleasant" you would need to go back to 17.3.

Edit - I forgot to mention LMDE also uses less resources to the tune of almost half the RAM so it is more responsive and faster.

Return to “Open chat”