How to install again windows after linux mint from acer recovery partition

Chat about just about anything else
tonilib
Level 2
Level 2

How to install again windows after linux mint from acer recovery partition

Post by tonilib »

I need to install again windows but i cant access to the recovery partition in Acer by pressing Alt+F10 since the linux menu to access to the diferent partitions appears. How can i install windows again. Do i have to uninstall Linux?

Need help
Last edited by Pierre on Sun May 21, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Open Chat, as this is not a LinuxMint spefic issue.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to install again windows after linux mint from acer recovery partition

Post by Pierre »

well, with my old Acer laptop, the original "recovery partition" is listed in the Linux Boot Menu.

so, all I've to do, is to select that option, & it will overwrite the existing C: drive, with the Factory Settings.
- then I've got to re-install everything again, so, obviously I'm not going to select that option, too often !.

so, the thing is: did you erase the original Windows C: drive ?.
- when installing the LinuxMint system, that is?.
if so, then could you paste a screen_shot, from Gparted - back here. ..

use the LinuxMint install media, to do that.
- so we can advise, on what you should do, next.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

tonilib
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonilib »

When i get in the recovery partition or windows partition the same menu for acer management recovery come up. The options to install from the beginning windows formating and all and doing a back up of the data and not formatting. Whatever option i get it keeps coming up the same menu over and over again. It does nothing.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

in that case, the Windows Recovery Partition, may be corrupted.
& is why the Linux Menu goes no-where.

but, just to be sure:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
type that into Terminal, on your install Linux system,
& then re-boot & see if there is any difference, in the Linux Boot Menu - or not.

do you have an Installation Disk, for this version of Windows ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!

tonilib
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonilib »

No disk since I have the recovery partition.

tonilib
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonilib »

The grub is not the problem. The acer management recovery partition, it looks like is restoring windows then restart, appears the grub and if you choose windos the same menu of the acer management recovery position cames up. I have done it 7 times. And Alt +f10 doesnt works in the beginning.

Anyone can help?

tonilib
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonilib »

I have 2 different partitions the one windows recovery and another for windows 7. Both partitions get me to the same menu which just the recovery partition should point me to. Does this mean that the windows 7 option grub menu is pointing to the wrong partition? If so. How do i fix it?

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

you need to use Gparted to figure out what the correct label for that Recovery Partition,
& then modify the Grub menu to point to that partition, instead.

then if the Recovery Partition is ok, then you should get a different sort of boot screen,
and thus the option to erase / restore the C; drive.

tonilib
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonilib »

I just download and install Gparted. I will see how to use it

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

One guess is that recovery partition may not work because original partition structure on drive has changed and it's now looking in the wrong place when invoked. Don't know for sure, just guessing this might be the problem with it.

Don't know if MS still has ISO's of Win7 available for download or not, but if so you can make a bootable Win7 USB install stick by following instructions here: USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

tonilib
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonilib »

gold_finger wrote:One guess is that recovery partition may not work because original partition structure on drive has changed and it's now looking in the wrong place when invoked. Don't know for sure, just guessing this might be the problem with it.

Don't know if MS still has ISO's of Win7 available for download or not, but if so you can make a bootable Win7 USB install stick by following instructions here: USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create.

Will that destroy the recovery position?

tonilib
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonilib »

Pierre wrote:you need to use Gparted to figure out what the correct label for that Recovery Partition,
& then modify the Grub menu to point to that partition, instead.

then if the Recovery Partition is ok, then you should get a different sort of boot screen,
and thus the option to erase / restore the C; drive.

I have downloaded the gparted but don't how to use it to fix the problem. Could you take me through the process?

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

@tonilab -
You don't really need to post a screenshot using Gparted. The necessary information is in your Boot Info Report that you posted in a different thread.
https://gist.github.com/2d222b2921c319f ... 3a79e38b18
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

tonilib wrote:Will that destroy the recovery position?
Yes, but using an install USB is basically the same thing as using the recovery partition. Only difference is that recovery partition will install exactly as when brand new with any/all bloatware provided by manufacturer and probably all of the drivers needed by Win7. USB install will not have the extra bloatware, but may not have all needed hardware drivers. For that, best to go to computer manufacturer's support site, find your model and download the drivers for it there. Keep drivers on another USB/DVD for access when needed during or after install.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 »

gold_finger wrote:Don't know if MS still has ISO's of Win7 available for download or not
These were taken down from Digital River some time back, there may be other legal channels still in existance? I haven't found any, though. OP & anyone else: Keep well away from non-legal sources even if they supposedly support genuine licence keys.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Appears OP is long gone, but posting this just out of curiosity to see if anyone has had success with either of the two links below.
BG405 wrote:These were taken down from Digital River some time back, there may be other legal channels still in existance? I haven't found any, though.
Unless I'm mistaken, it appears that one can still directly download from MS as long as they have a valid product key: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... d/windows7.

Also BG405, what is your opinion of this site? https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technolog ... load-links. It claims to download versions directly from MS servers, so I assume it's another "official" way to get the ISOs.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 »

Hi gold_finger, thanks for finding those links. I'll try the first one using my product key later (need to find the box) & let you know how it goes, maybe it will be more up-to-date than my originak disks & the ISOs I already have, might be useful for testing, experimenting & repairing systems.

Second link only seems to offer a "download tool" for direct downloads plus a link to the en-gb version of the first page you posted.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

tonilib wrote:...cant access to the recovery partition in Acer by pressing Alt+F10...
When you first boot, then hold down the Alt key and continually tap the F10, what do you get?
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 »

gold_finger wrote:Appears OP is long gone
I hadn't spotted this when I added my initial reply.

The OP's last post: by tonilib » 24 May 2017, 08:37. Shame when people don't follow up.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

BG405 wrote:I'll try the first one using my product key later (need to find the box) & let you know how it goes,
Thanks. No rush on this, post back with result whenever you get around to trying it. I'm just curious for possible future reference if someone here borks their Win7 install and doesn't have disks to use for re-install.

Return to “Open chat”