An income?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

An income?

Post by wutsinterweb »

Hello people, I'm still relatively new here and still quite inexperienced with Linux but I've been gradually picking it up as I go. I've completely dropped Windows now and in another forum I was reading about a very bright guys' sojourn. He was a mathematics BS who was working in some sort of sys admin work and lost his job. He seemed like a really really solid guy and he, on advice, got his RHCSE and it was to no avail, no one, after 8 months ever even went past the interview. He was getting the impression that employers would act as much as revolted when he didn't appear to be an immigrant worker.

Now I'm a big believer in having open borders and spreading wealth and sharing opportunity, but it made me wonder, there is this big claim that there are a shortage of tech workers, but I haven't had a tech job in 15 years and I was really GOOD at what I did, I solved huge issues for employers against significant odds.

I was hoping to teach myself enough Linux skills to find employment in the IT trade. I cannot afford school and cannot get funding. I only eat about 5 days a week, and only 1 or 2 meals since I am struggling and support my family that is overseas.

Do any of you work in technology and know what parts of the country and what parts of the industry are likely willing to hire a qualified non minority non immigrant worker?

I will mention that I am old, about 60 years old, but I have experience and interests over a pretty wide range but science has always been my greatest passion. I have an AAS in LEOT (Associate of Applied Science Laser Electro-Optics Technology). I also studied Biomedical Equipment at school.

I had a real knack for labwork in school and since, I'm that guy that can tune stuff and optimize it and who can use his senses to tell why something isn't working a certain way, all while understanding technical information.

Sadly, I have no car and live in an impoverished area so getting out of here is going to be monumentally hard. I was hoping that if I taught myself with help the right OS and other related skills, maybe just maybe some employer would hire a guy with a lot of heart and dedication and ethic, despite being old and down on his luck.

Can any of you suggest ideas and insights.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: An income?

Post by xenopeek »

wutsinterweb wrote:Do any of you work in technology and know what parts of the country and what parts of the industry are likely willing to hire a qualified non minority non immigrant worker?
I guess answering that will be more useful if you share what country and general area of it you reside in.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^ Would definitely help +1.

OP no magic answers for you. The nutritional thing, if in the US, depending upon area should be public assistance for that type of thing. Aka: Food stamps or whatever programs, pantries and so forth. That really stinks man. Though if available and you qualify, use it, that's what it's there for. Hard to work or do just about anything hungry. ( and yep, I know from 1st hand experience on that.)

The self-taught prospects in tech. Am not an expert but logic dictates conventional employers will want to see professional certifications and applicants who can document they've got the qualifications and skills to do well in whichever job that xyz-employer needs filled. Can't see someone going into an interview along-side several applicants who do have a variety of professional certs/degree's and saying I taught myself some stuff about gnu/Linux and being taken seriously.

Shouldn't keep you from trying but guessing people are always likely to get better results if they keep things realistic too. Hope things get better for you. Apply for any and everything you can within walking distance. A income should always trump no income.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Yes, doing those very things. I am in Connecticut, pantries won't help me as I supposedly don't qualify. Anyways, I'm doing all that you say, was wondering about if I studied for certs, which ones. I have a strong diagnostic personality, I studied Laser Electro-Optics and Bio Medical Equipment in college and have a knack for tuning stuff and figuring out why things break.

Where I live the jobs picture is very poor, and getting out of here is hard because I can't just up and go because I'm feeding my family overseas and they'd suffer worse than they already are. Rock/hard place.

I am just beginning to learn what most of you know how to do here with all of your help. I am crazy about Mint.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
Lemongrass38

Post by Lemongrass38 »

Hi wutsinterweb,

It's also worth mentioning that GNU/Linux system admins also have great responsibilities. They can't really make mistakes, I guess.

I'm about to become a (mechanical) engineer. I've met another mech. engineer (HVAC) who could buy just about any car from the money he has paid as compensation for his mistakes. I guess it might be a bit similar with system admins although I don't know.

And it's likely that HR staff will look for degrees.

Just an idea that comes with little responsibility: if you can get an old laptop or computer for free (don't you have an unused, old laptop?), and install Linux Mint on it, you might be able to sell it for a small amount. I mean nowadays many people discard an old laptop, but even 10 year old ones can be used with proper operating systems. Just an idea. I wouldn't spend money on this in your situation, rather on food, as it's mere luck whether someone would pay for an old laptop with Mint. This is Not meant to replace your job. Most people just won't care about old laptops with Mint to be honest, so this is not a viable option as a job.

I wish you succeed and find relief, and get enough food. Your family too. Honestly.

Stay balanced anyways.
Last edited by Lemongrass38 on Sat May 27, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Which certs ( or degrees), would depend on the type of tech job you're going for. A really basic one would be the A+ cert though again, whether it'd be worth pursuing would depend what you're going out for, like a tech at something like staples could be good with that (perhaps). A tele-help desk position perhaps, that kind of thing.

Systems engineer, database admin, this and that, heck no. Plenty of folks who have advanced degree's going out for those positions and guessing more than a few ( with degree's and poss previous experience) are having problems finding decent jobs in their field. As from what I understand India has long become the mecca for outsourcing software dev and other tech related too.

One thing you may want to focus on imo, is fixing mobile gadgetry, like broken smartphone screens and so forth. Is plenty of info freely available about that online. Can see a growing future in that field for people. Could try putting ads on stuff like Craigslist and soliciting customers for it. Buy cheap, fix (reasonably cheap upgrades ie: RAM), resell perhaps. Many oldish systems can be revitalized via the use of open source. An option anyone somewhat decent with gnu/Nix could do for supplement income. What to buy, where and however you would go about selling are up to you to figure out.

As mentioned, not like I have any magical answers to such a situation.

Return to “Open Chat”