I feel so dirty. There's a Win10 computer in my house.

Chat about just about anything else
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Ugh, there is a Win10 computer in my house. Actually, it's not actually a bad thing. I have been attending the computer club meetings at the local senior center for a year or more. A few weeks ago, I did a presentation on Open Source software and Linux. When I mentioned dual booting, they all wanted to know if we could do that with the club's computer. Well, at yesterday's meeting, the club brass said yes, let's do it. They wanted to know if they could watch while I did the install. I explained that the club computer has UEFI on it, and that I have yet to do a UEFI install, so I'd be a bit uncomfortable doing my first UEFI install with an audience. And they said, fine, take the computer home with you, figure it out, and when you know how to do it, come back and show us how to do it. I also mentioned that the director of the senior center told me some time back that half of the members of the senior center didn't have a computer, and that my first thought when he told me that was, "I'll bet the other half has one collecting dust in a closet somewhere." They put two and two together just about as fast as I did: that means we can accept donations of computers that are all bogged down with Windows and other malware, put Linux on them, and distribute them to those who don't have computers. I have a feeling this is going to turn out to be a good thing.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I feel so dirty. There's a Win10 computer in my house.

Post by Arch_Enemy »

jimallyn wrote:Ugh, there is a Win10 computer in my house. Actually, it's not actually a bad thing. I have been attending the computer club meetings at the local senior center for a year or more. A few weeks ago, I did a presentation on Open Source software and Linux. When I mentioned dual booting, they all wanted to know if we could do that with the club's computer. Well, at yesterday's meeting, the club brass said yes, let's do it. They wanted to know if they could watch while I did the install. I explained that the club computer has UEFI on it, and that I have yet to do a UEFI install, so I'd be a bit uncomfortable doing my first UEFI install with an audience. And they said, fine, take the computer home with you, figure it out, and when you know how to do it, come back and show us how to do it. I also mentioned that the director of the senior center told me some time back that half of the members of the senior center didn't have a computer, and that my first thought when he told me that was, "I'll bet the other half has one collecting dust in a closet somewhere." They put two and two together just about as fast as I did: that means we can accept donations of computers that are all bogged down with Windows and other malware, put Linux on them, and distribute them to those who don't have computers. I have a feeling this is going to turn out to be a good thing.
Fear not. The feeling of insecurity and uneasiness will subside once you get the machine out of your house.

Expect a lot of support calls, however. For Windows, that is...
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Arch_Enemy wrote:Expect a lot of support calls, however. For Windows, that is...
I don't think so. Everybody there is aware that I don't use Windows, and haven't for years. (And I remind them every time the club meeting is held up while Win10 does updates.) I have no problem telling people that I don't do Windows.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 »

Jimalyn come on down the river for a couple of days. Bring access to the senior center with you and drop in at "Freegeek" on SE 10th and see about getting some "Grant" machines. These are resurrected from recycled bricked Windex machines and we are installing LM 18.1 cinnamon in them. They are all SATA machines and fully checked out by volunteers. Many of us are seniors.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Sounds good, Tomgin5. I just might drive down some day and have a look. I see people mention that they get all these computers and put Linux on them, and I have to wonder, where do they get all those computers? I haven't seen a lot available around here.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 »

It's called "Electronics recycling" Washington state has a program like it People pay to give you their old bricked computers.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I don't know what people do with their old computers here. Probably throw them in the trash. Office Depot will recycle electronics for a fee. Goodwill will take most electronics for recycling, no charge. Salvation Army too, I think. I've been thinking about putting a notice on Craigslist that I am accepting donations of unwanted computers. Oddly, I have never seen any computers in either of the Goodwill stores here. Keyboards, mice, monitors, but no computers. I have asked several of the employees why that is, and nobody knows.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

jimallyn wrote:I don't know what people do with their old computers here. Probably throw them in the trash. Office Depot will recycle electronics for a fee. Goodwill will take most electronics for recycling, no charge. Salvation Army too, I think. I've been thinking about putting a notice on Craigslist that I am accepting donations of unwanted computers. Oddly, I have never seen any computers in either of the Goodwill stores here. Keyboards, mice, monitors, but no computers. I have asked several of the employees why that is, and nobody knows.
They got sick of people dumping off junk that doesn't work. Blown HDD is one thing, but both Goodwill and Salvation Army were getting things that didn't work at all, and then THEY have to pay to get rid of them, so donations of old computers are not accepted.

Now, if you could go to the Donation Center and make an arrangement with them, I'd be sure you'd have a truckload in no time flat.

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

Not me. My fairly new W10 Dell Inspiron is very good. It works very well with my wireless Canon printer/scanner which Mint 18 will not work with.
Plus, not possible to dual boot with Linux.
I have an old Vista and W7 given to me and replaced with Mint.
I got over the holier than thou attitude some years ago.
There are a couple brands of cars I do not like but ride in them anyway.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Best Buy accepts old computers and monitors for free. Just ask the person at the front door (security person I guess).
Mint 19.1 MATE x64

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

jimallyn wrote:Ugh, there is a Win10 computer in my house.
There's really only one way to clean up after that, jimallyn.

It's an outer space shower.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 »

Bidet is most likely a more accurate cleaning device.....
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus »

Throw it out the windows. Or better, Throw it out, the windows.

Return to “Open chat”