Plants

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

How many houseplants do you have?

No plants
25%
1-5
38%
6-10
13%
11-20
13%
>20
13%

Total votes: 16

MintyO

Plants

Post by MintyO »

How great are plants, am I right? I'm just so giddy that the summer is here and everything is growing like bananas. Especially the Bananas! :lol:

I'm definitely one of the plant enthusiasts and don't have the exact count at all times if I don't go around and count my plants. Just thought it would be interesting to know about other Mint users. Feel free to mention your favorites too, and bonus points for pretty pictures!

Ps: You can change your vote if needed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Plants

Post by richyrich »

+50 here ! :shock:
1) Indoor hobby :D 4 inch pot. 2) African Violet. 3,4) Begonias
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by richyrich on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

No house plants. Been known to grow the odd vegetable, whether at the allotment, or in the greenhouse in pots using soil or hydroponics.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

We have four or five house plants. Just finished re-potting most of them a couple of weeks ago, and since we are experiencing a rainy day today, I set them all outside for a good watering.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Not much house plants, but big garden front and back. Lots of fruit. Apple and pear blossoms froze to death one icy night in early spring, but plum was earlier with the blossoms and thereby escaped frost damage. So only plums and berries this year....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

The wife has a black thumb and a brother that is/was a plant salesman.she is always restocking them then overwatering them or underwatering them. Others she always put them in a dark place those that need light and in the sun those that like it dark. Her brother tells where to put then then she gets confused. She plants death mask mushrooms for me. I also do my own cooking.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

@Tomgin5 , :lol:
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

My wife has 2 aloe vera plants in the house.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

What poll follows next? About the number of flies in the summer or the color of the seats in the living room?
deleted

Post by deleted »

Pjotr wrote:Not much house plants, but big garden front and back. Lots of fruit. Apple and pear blossoms froze to death one icy night in early spring, but plum was earlier with the blossoms and thereby escaped frost damage. So only plums and berries this year....
Same here....
But my peach tree has been suffering from (I think) brown fungus. The leaves turn yellow and the fruit turns brown... But like you said the late frost really hurt.
My blueberries, tho, look like it's going to be another good year.

-H
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

All of my plants are out doors...

6 banana trees,2 fig trees, 4 pecan trees, 1 bay tree, 1 pear tree, 5 grape vines, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, wild berries, wild onions and numerous magnolia, live oak, camphor and "popcorn" trees along with some wild parsley. And around twice the national average for rainfall. Around here if you stick it in dirt it will grow...

Cheers!

Jim

P.S. And millions of flies! :)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

hinto wrote:My blueberries, tho, look like it's going to be another good year.
Same for my blueberries and grapes. Lots of them, still green.

Problem is that the blackbirds like them as much as I do.... When I use nets to cover the blueberry shrubs or the vines, they find ways to get in. Or they get stuck in the net, so I have to liberate them again. Oh well, at least they sing beautifully. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

Cosmo. wrote:What poll follows next? About the number of flies in the summer or the color of the seats in the living room?
Is this because of the topic where I had a different opinion than you, or are you just this childish? In any case feel free to grow up a bit and stop bullying around the forum everyone who states an opinion different than yours.
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

I'm definitely jealous for everybody who live in a place where you can grow stuff like Bananas outdoors. While my Dwarfs (Cavendish noids) grow great during summertime I doubt I'll ever get to see them make fruit. Maybe I'll at least get to harvest my Coffee someday.

For edibles, I simply don't have space for much. Like salads or herbs. But for next summer I'll try a peanut and/or a garlic.. probably peanuts, as it's actually quite a nice plant to look at, and the way it makes the nuts is fun to watch. This spring I grew few Mangoes from seed. While they grow spectacularly now and look great as a plant, yet again I doubt I'll ever see any harvest. Also a bit worried how they cope with the dark wintertime.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

MintyO wrote:..Also a bit worried how they cope with the dark wintertime.
Yup , with only about a 90 day frost free growing season up here in the wilderness of Canada, I try to grow almost every kind of frost friendly/early season garden plants out there. :-)
Tomatoes from last year, Pineapple, Brandywine, Old German, Nebraska Wedding, Cherokee Purple, Nepal, Siberian, and more.
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

richyrich wrote:.......

Yup , with only about a 90 day frost free growing season up here in the wilderness of Canada..........
As mentioned earlier, I'm confined to indoors being a city dweller, but it should be somewhat similar here in Finland. At least parts of the country. Possibly milder because of the Gulf stream. The light is good during summer, even at the moment it doesn't really get dark at all (19h 40min daylight atm), and there's even a brief window without dawn and dusk. Then again the shortest days are 5 or even less hours of (piss poor) light. Here's a site I check the day length+ info, that might interest you. The link takes to city list of Canada: http://www.gaisma.com/en/dir/ca-country.html

Thanks for the pics by the way! I'll take some as a good opportunity comes up. Maybe of my this summers edible experiments too: windowsill-garden- and windowsill-harvested-from-nature- strawberries. :mrgreen:

Return to “Open Chat”