What is the plural of OS?

Chat about just about anything else
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

What is the plural of OS?

Post by jimallyn »

[ Discussion split from support request Is there a way to Live boot/Hot swapping OS's? by admin. ]

The plural of OS is OSes.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: What is the plural of OS?

Post by Cosmo. »

xenopeek wrote:
jimallyn wrote:The plural of OS is OSes.
Okay then the misspelled plural of OS is OSs. I read it spelled like that a lot :wink:
As a German I have to follow, what I find in trustful sources. Wiktionary says, that both (OSs and OSes) are correct.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

xenopeek wrote:
jimallyn wrote:The plural of OS is OSes.
Okay then the misspelled plural of OS is OSs. I read it spelled like that a lot :wink:
borg101 wrote:One was a git called "adzerk-oss"
In that example it stands for Open Source Software.
Normally the plural of an acronym uses an apostrophe (twenty ATM's), like the common mistake when not used with acronyms, but sometimes not:
https://afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com ... tyle/?_r=0

Here's an excruciatingly detailed "OS" entry for tech writers:
http://technotes.whw1.com/computer-rela ... ing-system

I'd pluralize "OS" as OS's, not as OSs which looks like a typo for OSS, and definitely not as "OSes".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

Cosmo. wrote:As a German I have to follow, what I find in trustful sources. Wiktionary says, that both (OSs and OSes) are correct.
I've always just written it as OS's.
Flemur wrote:Normally the plural of an acronym uses an apostrophe (twenty ATM's), like the common mistake when not used with acronyms, but sometimes not:
https://afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com ... tyle/?_r=0

Here's an excruciatingly detailed "OS" entry for tech writers:
http://technotes.whw1.com/computer-rela ... ing-system

I'd pluralize "OS" as OS's, not as OSs which looks like a typo for OSS, and definitely not as "OSes".
LOL. As almost irrelevant as your comment is, I have to laugh and give props man. You sound like my good buddy whom is literally an english professor at a university and working on his doctorate. He's always busting my chops for misusing grammar/punctuation. Thanks for the tips. I wish there were a +1 or "like" system for the forums.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I like how both of Flemur's links say you should use OSs as the plural of OS, that both OS's and OSes are wrong. Somebody didn't read their links :)
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

xenopeek wrote:I like how both of Flemur's links say you should use OSs as the plural of OS, that both OS's and OSes are wrong. Somebody didn't read their links :)
read part of one.
"But do not use apostrophes for plurals of abbreviations without periods, or for plurals formed from figures: TVs, PCs, DVDs; 1990s, 747s, size 7s."

Now where is the "system tray". :mrgreen:
Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn »

xenopeek wrote:I like how both of Flemur's links say you should use OSs as the plural of OS, that both OS's and OSes are wrong. Somebody didn't read their links :)
I like how someone from Netherlands knows the rules of English.

Reminds me of a time when I was talking to a person who had just passed their US citizenship test with a decent size group of people born in the US. That immigrant, a high school dropout and I were much more knowledgeable about civics and US history than almost everyone else there and most of those 10 or more people had college degrees.
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

OS's is possessive, not plural.

Example: The new OS's interface is fantastic.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyO »

All the new OSs have great attributes. The OSs's users are happy as a clam. But one OS in particular has gotten great praise. That OS's desktop is just so great. :lol:
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

MintyO wrote:All the new OSs have great attributes. The OSs's users are happy as a clam. But one OS in particular has gotten great praise. That OS's desktop is just so great. :lol:
+1
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

And the plural of gas is gass or gas's, right?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk »

I don't know why people are struggling with this - the plural of OS is Operating Systems :lol:
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Church's instead of churches, fish's instead of fishes, fox's instead of foxes? :) Let's leave it at gases. That seems a good rule for nouns.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/spell ... s-of-nouns
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/punct ... apostrophe
MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyO »

Well it depends on the gas or gases.
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

chrisuk wrote:I don't know why people are struggling with this - the plural of OS is Operating Systems :lol:
Chrisuk is right. I should point out that despite the minutia, our brains work contextually. That's why we can decipher stuff like "the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef"

Punctuation is to improve the ease of understanding for the reader. So if I wrote "The OS's I'm currently using are Elementary OS and Mint 18.1", everyone would know I'm talking about multiple operating systems and not the operating systems possessing "I'm currently using". The former makes sense where the latter does not.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

So we can understand from context what you mean when you write a sentence with spelling and punctuation errors.
That doesn't change the grammar, spelling and punctuation rules of the language. The plural of OS is OSs :)
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

xenopeek wrote:So we can understand from context what you mean when you write a sentence with spelling and punctuation errors.
That doesn't change the grammar, spelling and punctuation rules of the language. The plural of OS is OSs :)
So the point of your post is to point out that you are correct? Besides the fact that there is no hard and steadfast rule to this, both OS's and OSs are correct. This was actually recommended up until a decade or so ago. The only reason the apostrophe 's' is no longer recommended by Oxford is because of the potential for confusion. Both instances are still widely used. Another option not mentioned would be O.S. Language is a fluid and changing thing. This is why words are added to the dictionary every year and grammatical structure changes over time. The way we speak now is different than the way we spoke in the 1980s (or 1980's....both are accepted). 80's speech was different than how they talked in the 50's. Read letters, in any language, from soldiers in wars 100+ years ago.
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

chrisuk wrote:I don't know why people are struggling with this - the plural of OS is Operating Systems :lol:
+5
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Well hold on now! One vote per person :)
o-l-d
Level 3
Level 3

Post by o-l-d »

This argument has been going on for a long time lol Personally I use just OS, incorrectly it seems, but rarely ever write articles or papers for IT.

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.c ... ral-of-os/

Return to “Open chat”