Sounds ominous for HP printer owners . . . . . . .

Chat about just about anything else
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Sounds ominous for HP printer owners . . . . . . .

Post by daveinuk »

Makes me glad I own a Cannon ! I used to like HP's too . . . . . . . . . . . not if that's there attitude though, sorry if this is old news to some, just came up in my facebook feed and thought I'd share as there seems to be a lot of HP recommendations in printer talk for Linux . . . . . . .

Edit: the link helps eh . . . . . . . . . .

http://boingboing.net/2016/09/19/hp-det ... b-pri.html
Last edited by Moem on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: cropping the link... we don't need the referrers and so on.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Sounds ominous for HP printer owners . . . . . . .

Post by jimallyn »

Link missing?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Whoops . . . . . . . . . . . . . . does help I suppose !

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I wonder if the "firmware update" would include the HPLIP drivers for Linux? Otherwise, I never use the HP printer software.
“Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

About a year ago I bought aftermarket cartridges for my HP printer. They worked fine. But all of them that I've bought recently don't work. So, I guess I'm back to paying a fortune for genuine HP.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

mwbworld
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mwbworld »

Ouch. Not really surprised.

For a while I had tried their Instaink program (you pay a monthly fee and they send you new cartridges when you need them shipped to arrive before you need them.) I stopped when I found their monthly page limits not useful for the way my printing goes (most months I'm under, but when I go over I go over big and paid through the nose.) When I canceled, I got notice that the cartridges I had through the program would stop working on my last day. If I'd know that I would used them up before canceling! I found that sinister enough!
- Michael

altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Faust
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Faust »

The whole business surrounding printers just STINKS , IMO .

The manufacturers aren't really selling a printer at all , they are selling us a dependency on their cartridges
for as long as they can get away with it .
I suspect that most manufacturers actually sell many of their printers at a net loss !

There is a very aggressive and underhand marketing strategy at work here , especially when it comes to re-filling and re-chipping of carts .
They will do whatever it takes to stop consumers going down that route .

And when it comes to wireless network printing .... include me OUT !
There are SO many headaches around this issue ( do a search here , or anywhere else , and it's immediately clear how much time can be wasted )
And Linux seems to have almost as many printer problems as any other OS .
That's not a criticism of Linux , just another one against the manufacturers .... their driver support always looks so shoddy to me .

Just a personal observation , but one that's based on long experience :)
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

daveinuk wrote:Makes me glad I own a Cannon!
I had a Canon and even though the manual said I could use third-party inks, it never printed correctly. I had to buy Canon brand inks.
Last edited by JerryF on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

What we really need is some kind of information clearing house for an ethical (or as near as possible) printer manufacturer.

I also own an HP printer, and will be extremely upset if they pull that sort of nonsense with me.

This is DEFINITELY a good argument against using ANY proprietary software "blobs".

If this is the way hardware and other proprietary device manufacturers are going to go, we need to take action and fight back now, at least taking steps to protect ourselves and maybe encourage someone to get into business making products ethically to replace this crap.

I'm absolutely going to start taking a closer look at Fairphone now, just on this basis alone.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Portreve wrote:What we really need is some kind of information clearing house for an ethical (or as near as possible) printer manufacturer.

I also own an HP printer, and will be extremely upset if they pull that sort of nonsense with me.

This is DEFINITELY a good argument against using ANY proprietary software "blobs".

If this is the way hardware and other proprietary device manufacturers are going to go, we need to take action and fight back now, at least taking steps to protect ourselves and maybe encourage someone to get into business making products ethically to replace this crap.

I'm absolutely going to start taking a closer look at Fairphone now, just on this basis alone.

Well if they've revoked the decision as altair4's link suggests then panic over . . . . . . love to known what prompted that decision ................
I bought a Jolla (phone) running Sailfish OS through getting fed up with android and googles constant marketing and tracking, only thing that put me off a fairphone ate the time was price. but I love SFOS and it's only lacking decent hardware so I keep an eye on fairphone and the current developments with Sony, the only way to be heard is to vote with your wallet IMO !

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

daveinuk wrote:...the only way to be heard is to vote with your wallet
And this is what most of us did many years ago when we opted to convert inexpensive cartridge-based systems to CISS. The manufacturers started to lose their revenue in ink cartridges and when they realized their old system can't compete with the massive and cheaper solution from 3rd parties, they adopted it and now they officially have CISS printers selling like hotcakes with refill inks sold by the bottle. It's now way cheaper to print per page with a CISS printer, even with original inks.

AFAIK, Epson started the adoption when they officially released and supported ink-tank-based printers. Brother and HP soon followed the bandwagon.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

When I was forced to buy a new printer, this was after I had exhausted the possibility of getting any one of my old printers to work. That is, some of them 'would' work but the ink cost more than a new printer!
So, when looking for a new printer, I only wanted a printer. but looking around in walfart, it became clear that option wasn't supported any more. There were only printer/scanner combinations available in various brands. This wasn't something I wanted. I went online, looking for printers that were only printers, not printer/combinations, only to find that such things weren't available, unless I wanted to buy something old from Ebay or Amazon.
Finally, I got an HP Deskjet printer/scanner combination of which, the printer works great, but the scanner isn't accessible via the operating system. Rather than get upset at that, I just use a very reliable Epson Perfection 1640, which although it's old, and despite it's previous life of a business photo-scanner, still works fine for me.The scanner that's built into the printer works as a copying machine.I think it faxes too, but I don't use it.

I guess I'm still upset at this trend of making printers that aren't just printers. The more things something can do, the more things can go wrong with it, you know?
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

It sounds like HP put a bit of effort into modifying their printer's firmware to accept only genuine HP ink cartridges. If only they had put the same amount of effort into making the same firmware secure from hackers. http://boingboing.net/2011/12/30/printe ... malic.html :oops:
"Truth is becoming rarer and rarer as time passes. It is only a matter of time before it will cease to exist."

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Well, vis a vis Fairphone, I don't know if it will happen because it depends on how things go with UBports, but ideally I'd like to get a Fairphone (perhaps by the time they release the 3 or even 4) and put Ubuntu Touch on it.

One of many additional factors involved here include the hardware itself being independently audited for security. If the hardware itself is basically open, then independent auditing of it should be no trouble at all.

— Voltaire

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 »

A number of years back I noticed the HP and other manufacturers were beginning to do the dropdead thing with chips in the ink cartridges. I went to a Samsung color laser thinking they wouldn't do that. The originals died in 3 weeks. I went to the corner ink supply and they were offering toners for $15 each. This was during the Japanese quake. The cartridges did not work. I had done the software "upgrade". This made it so that unless it was a Genuine Samsung it would no longer work. I bit the bullet and bought a set of Genuine Samsung cartridges and they would not work either. This set proved that a fuseable link was in the printer and it would never work with any new cartridge once a non Samsung cartridge was used. This set cost 3 times what the printer did.
I went 3 blocks away and I was going to buy one of the Xerox Phaser printers with the wax toners. I checked the specs and the resolution was not really great but for the same price I picked up a newer model that had excellent and near photo quality resolution. A Phaser 6500. I used up the first 600 pages in 4 weeeks and went on line and found toner cartridges with 2400 sheets capacity for $23 each for the 4.
I went through over 300 sheets before the toner started getting a little off.
I switched to Linux and Linux did not have a driver for it. Xerox had a redhat driver. I never could get that to work so I dual booted my little CAD dual boot and used the Windex32 driver for it.
6 months later Linux has a standard driver for the 6500 that works fine in all of my machines. I am on my second set of 6000 page cartridges for $30 apiece. Available at the local store for the online price. :P

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

One of the core fundamental issues here is the weakened concept of private property, and property rights generally. The fact is you do not "own" a piece of computer technology fully. Now, it would be bad enough if the boundary was, for instance, the trademarked manufacturer's name and the model name, and let's say the cosmetic aspect of the printer's case. However, you don't own the middleware, and any longer it's kind of debatable to what extent you own the physical hardware itself, though that particular threshold has not yet really been fully probed at this point.

This isn't the 70s/80s/90s any longer, where yes the middleware was proprietary but basically benign and fairly minimal.

— Voltaire

linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

About 6 years ago I started buying up all the old hp printers I could find at local thrift-stores, back when they were plentiful, for about $4 or $5 each. I had moved over exclusively to linux, so used the hplip (sometimes hpijs) drivers. Well, jump to present, and I'm still using old HP printers, with several waiting in the closet in reserve. I buy a sealed but old hp cartridge on flea-bay for $8, then keep refilling it with ink I also buy there. When it gives out after about a year, I repeat the action. Scanning with xsane/gimp works perfectly on these. I only have need of plain black printing, non-photo, so keeps the variables simpler. Currently I'm using a beast, psc1210, for my personal printing needs, and I have a F4140 hooked up for the family. All works fine. Hopefully linux/hplip won't drop support for these old machines anytime soon.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

daveinuk wrote:Makes me glad I own a Cannon ! I used to like HP's too . . . . . . . . . . . not if that's there attitude though, sorry if this is old news to some, just came up in my facebook feed and thought I'd share as there seems to be a lot of HP recommendations in printer talk for Linux . . . . . . .

Edit: the link helps eh . . . . . . . . . .

Which Canon? I have a 6700D that works with drivers supplied by Gutenprint, and an iP1800 someone here helped me get working, but the PRO-100...nuh-uh. Have to boot Windows. Even tried that German printer driver I paid $29 for (they had a sale) and it would print text just fine, but photos were horrible. Wish Canon had kept up on the Linux drivers...:(
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

flagbear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flagbear »

We have to nip this thing in the bud or they will start extending the concept to pacemakers and artificial joints and service animals and pets and houseplants - no end to the killer/drop-dead chip idea. Support EFF.

"That's why EFF is suing the US government to invalidate section 1201 of the DMCA: because "owning property" means having the "sole and despotic dominion ..."

Return to “Open chat”