Anyone completely Un-Googled?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Anyone completely Un-Googled?

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Moem wrote: Here's another thing I like about the Blackphone:
Blackphone. Hmmm...is that Yurrip only, or do we get it here in the US, too? Have to...um...GOOGLE it! ;)
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Or you could Startpage it :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Moem wrote:Or you could Startpage it :wink:
True...but I need to look up a lot of pictures, and Startpage is not as good for that. But Yahoo is better with pictures than Google even.

They are available on eBay, with the 1st model readily available for ~$100US. Being a European device it runs on GSM (with a SIM card) and appears to be on the correct bands for use in the US.
While it looks like an interesting device, I dunno....I've been a Blackberry user for years (after saying back in the 2000's, "Who needs a phone like that?" ;) )and it's going to take a lot to pry it out of my hands. I've tried lots of phones, but keep going back to Black...:D

(I know you don't care for politics, but [political reference removed] )
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Arch_Enemy wrote:I know you don't care for politics
It's not a matter of my preferences, it's a forum rule. Please don't force my hand and make me edit or remove your posts again.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Not completely Google free.
I have an Android phone and tablet, YouTube and my old Picassa online photo album.
Gmail I only use for Android and YouTube related stuff.
Tried to run Android without the Google stuff, but that's really to limited
Corrien

Post by Corrien »

Moem wrote:I use a Blackphone and it's Googlefree. I can't use the Google Playstore, so yes, I'm severely limited in my choice of apps. I can download apps elsewhere and around 50% of them will work. I don't mind these limitations: the phone is still quite useful. It's a phone, it does ICQ, Telegram and text messages; it also does WWW (I use Brave as a browser). I can use it for GPS navigation, even offline when I use downloaded maps; it's also a decent camera.
Since I've never had a smartphone before, I don't really miss the things I cannot do and the extra privacy is worth it. For me, this seems like a decent way to enjoy some of the features of smartphones and not give my entire life's data to Google.
Wat is een " Blackphone" ? Ik ben bijna google free, maar helaas kan ik niet buiten youtube.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Corrien wrote:Wat is een " Blackphone" ? Ik ben bijna google free, maar helaas kan ik niet buiten youtube.
A Blackphone is a brand of mobile phone that is made to be more private than other smartphones. It's made by Silent Circle. It has its own OS that is based on Android.

I do watch Youtube videos sometimes. But I don't allow cookies on that page.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Sadly I'm neck deep in Google. Gmail is a must, as is Google Drive, I have media I have purchased at Google Play, Hangouts/Google Voice, Chromebooks, Chromecasts, Android tablets & phones.
On the plus side I use Duckduckgo search, I'm running GalliumOS with Firefox on the Chromebook I'm using right now and my other Chromebook can legacy boot Linux. But yes, Google has its tentacles dug in.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

It has always boggled my mind how people let 1 company take control of all of their digital/communication life.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Jaydemir wrote:My question, is there anyone out there actually doing this? Or has Google become such a necessity that you absolutely can't picture your phone without it?
Well, there is UBports, and that would take you entirely off of Google.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”