I can't load Mint 18.1

Chat about just about anything else
Horse38301
Level 1
Level 1

I can't load Mint 18.1

Post by Horse38301 »

I have a WIndows 7 Home Premium HP COMPAQ 64 bit PC. I cannot get anything to happen when I put the DVD in.
My old PC is full of viruses and will not allow me to see the monitor. I know the monitor is working because I do
get flashes when the system is loading.
My problem is that I can't get control over to the DVD. I hear it whir but I see nothing on the screen.
Someone told me to try F10 and Delete simultaneously. I do see a set of options very briefly. I tried the
first option and maybe the last to no avail.
How do I get control of the boot completely in the hands of the Mint DVD?
I have Kapsersky but it never recognized any of the viruses even months ago when these problems
first appeared. At that time I wiped out the C Drive and replaced it with my original op sys which was on
my much smaller D DRrive. That worked a couple of times but no more. Now my WIndows repair option no longer works.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Jaydemir
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I can't load Mint 18.1

Post by Jaydemir »

On HP machines, the boot device menu is F9. Spam that button as soon as you turn on your PC and you should be greeted with a list of storage devices you can boot from. Just find whatever resembles your disk drive and go from there.
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: I can't load Mint 18.1

Post by gold_finger »

Jaydemir wrote:On HP machines, the boot device menu is F9. Spam that button as soon as you turn on your PC and you should be greeted with a list of storage devices you can boot from. Just find whatever resembles your disk drive and go from there.
Try above first.

If that doesn't work, I've got two older HP desktops that require first tapping the <Esc> key, which will then offer choice to hit <F9> or <F10>. One is for main Bios Setting/Startup Menu, the other is for accessing one-time Boot Menu. Choose the Boot Menu, (and make sure you already have the DVD loaded before you boot computer).

P.s.
If you run into further issues, it would be better for you to start a new post in the "Installation and Boot" section of the forum. More people looking to help others with install problems will be reading that section of forum vs. this section and you'll likely get help quicker there.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Open chat”