eBike users

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lexon

eBike users

Post by lexon »

Open chat
Chat about just about anything else.
This should be ok but will delete the discussion if any complaints.
Anyone here use an eBike? I understand used on the other side of the Pond a lot.
I started using one about seven years ago. Still have to pedal quite hard at times. Lots less use of the car.

L
MintBean

Re: eBike users

Post by MintBean »

Nobody will complain - anything goes here unless it breaks forum rules.

Don't have one myself but I have toyed with the idea of getting one at times. What one do you have?
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have a 26 inch Jamis Trail X Series bike with 350 watt motor in the front wheel hub.
Cannot post picture. Photo Bucket locked account and then I deleted the account.
A 40 mile, 36 volt lithium battery and 20 mile lithium battery.
Hill Topper add on's.
Local bike shop. Also at Amazon.
I do rail trails in my area and roads. Not for mountain biking.
Shopping with side bag and riding pleasure with friends.
Seventy six with some arthritis in both knees.

L
lexon

Post by lexon »

There are companies that sell completely equipped eBikes. Twenty four, thirty six and 48 volt systems.
Google ebikes.

L
lexon

Post by lexon »

I posted about a year or two ago. Upgraded to a new bike.
At over seventy seven and arthritis in both knees I now use a modified 27.5 inch modified KHS 200 bicycle with a 48 volt 750 watt Luna mid motor and 14.5 amp battery. Capable of 52 volt also. Motor and controller mounted near pedal assembly. Display for controlling on handle bar. Good for maybe seventy miles with intermittent use. Different levels of assist or can be disabled. Helps keep my carbon foot print down and good for food shopping with side bag.

There are many types of battery operated systems available. Full bikes or you can modify your own.

There is a company in New Zealand making a hydrofoil bike now for pedaling on water. The Manta5. I have seen the videos. Pricey.

L
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

e-Bikes are good, as long as they stay on the road. Where I live, e-Bike riders made the trails and the trail parking lots dangerous for regular bike riders and hikers. Can't e-Bike riders ride slower than 25 mph in the parking lots? Sure I could hear them coming and avoid getting hit, but my kids...
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
lexon

Post by lexon »

No problem in my area. I am only concerned about distance. I have never seen or heard of any issues on the rail trails in my area concerning eBikes. I belong to about four different rail trail forums in Western Mass.
My city police department ha bicycles with officers that can use them and a motorized four wheel vehicle for our rail trail. I see it out once in a while.
Three other cities I ride in also have offices the ride once in a while.

L
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Electric bikes are pretty common in the Netherlands, especially among parents for transporting their kids to school and among older people wanting to stay mobile. Most assist the rider's pedaling up to a maximum speed of 25 kph (15½ mph). There are also speed pedelec bikes that go up to 45 kph (28 mph), for example used by people commuting longer distances to work. Those are less common I think. Most electric bikes are sold as a complete bike with engine and battery integrated in the frame itself (or removable battery underneath the rear rack).
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

This past spring, my older brother bought a RadRover electric bike from Rad Power Bikes. (https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/ ... 2654929951) I've gotten to ride it several times and I'm impressed by it.

First of all, it's a big bike. It weighs 65 pounds, has big fat 26x4.00 inch tires, and a large front suspension fork up front. When you're coming down the road towards someone, it looks like you're riding a small motorcycle, not a bicycle. A big part of the weight is due to the large 48V 14Ah battery pack and the 750W geared electric motor integrated into the read wheel hub. Plus, the frame and forks are overbuilt to take an overall payload of 275 pounds of rider + gear/cargo.

Second, it's fast. Not so much the 20mph top speed, but just how quickly it accelerates to that speed. You can really surprise people in cars when you're taking off from a stop sign or traffic light, and they look over to find you're still next to them, or even slightly ahead.

Range is reportedly 25-40 miles depending on how high you set the pedal assist level (5 levels in all), or if you use the straight electric mode with throttle (no pedaling). My brother rode it 12 miles one day, and when he returned home the battery indicator showed 75% charge still left in the battery, which seems slightly better than their claims.

The only downside is the OEM tires, which are Kenda Juggernauts. Even though the knobs don't look very tall, you still get a buzz that you feel in your backside and your hands. A tire swap is in order if you're going to use it mainly as a street bike.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

Return to “Open Chat”