Open Source OS for Smartphones/Tablets ?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
sudo apt-get Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Open Source OS for Smartphones/Tablets ?

Post by sudo apt-get Linux »

Hi everybody,

Seeking for advises here. For internet access, I only use the computer and the connection available at work. And for calls, still use a wired phone and an old Nokia cell-phone. I wish to get something else in order to also have access to internet at home or while travelling.
So, the "smartphones" offer that possibility but the problem is : which one ?

Not looking for something full of useless gadgets, or used to play games or watch HD movies, etc. That would be mainly for checking emails, reading news, etc., nothing special or that requests high performance devices. As they are often described as "tracking devises", I wish to use something, both for the hardware and software, that are privacy-friendly.

Already having a camera and a movie camera, I don't mind at all what the smartphone offers, phones are for calls and communications, not for photography. So the focuses are on privacy, user-friendliness (installation, applications, updating, upgrading), security, speed.

Is there a brand more recommended than the others, and why, for instance among these:
Samsung, Alcatel, Huawei, Archos, Motorola, LG, ASUS, Sony, Nokia, Wiko, Lenovo, CAT.

Windows Phone and Apple iPhone are a big no.

And what OS would be recommended ? I have heard about Maru OS or Una OS, but don't have the competence to judge.

Would tablets better suit what I look for ? If so, explain please.

Thanks for giving your feedback.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Open Source OS for Smartphones/Tablets ?

Post by greerd »

Not a lot of choice out there, the only tablet I know of that comes with Linux (Sailfish OS) is referred to in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=248989&hilit=sailfish.

[EDIT], Forgot about purism, if you have an extra grand floating around! https://puri.sm/products/
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

If your interested in privacy and can afford the purism, the Librem 11 sounds like a great unit. Has four physical kill switches, camera/mic, bluetooth/wifi, cellular and GPS. Plus they're working on an open source BIOS.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I don't know if there's much in the way of really ideal options for you, honestly. There's no buying a smart device which doesn't also do all the things you say you're not interested in. If you're fundamentally happy with what you've got, why upgrade at all?

Anything with a cellular transceiver is inherently a tracking/trackable device. Your existing Nokia is, for example. Without tracking what devices are where, how do you think a cell network would know how to go about providing you service?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
sudo apt-get Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sudo apt-get Linux »

“Without tracking what devices are where, how do you think a cell network would know how to go about providing you service?”

Yes, I know, good if only tracking, should have written “spying devices” or “private data trafficking devices” ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

A Fairphone with Sailfish OS or Android Open Source could be interesting, or a BlackPhone with Silent Circle's Private OS. Don't know, still searching.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Purism is coming out with a 11" 2-in-1 laptop which you can use as a tablet: https://puri.sm/products/
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

xenopeek wrote:Purism is coming out with a 11" 2-in-1 laptop which you can use as a tablet: https://puri.sm/products/
Thanks very much for this, xenopeek!

I watched an interview that Purism's CEO and founder gave, and I have to say I'm kind of encouraged by what I saw. If the hardware is decent, I might seriously consider them for a next, eventual smart phone. I'm certainly thinking about them for my next laptop.

The thing I've come to learn is that total accountability is absolutely imperative, especially given everything we now know about what Corporate America and Washington DC (to say nothing of governments and companies in other first-world Nations) are doing to us.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”