NFL Fantasy Football

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

NFL Fantasy Football

Post by JoeFootball »

Seeing if any NFL fans here are interested in starting up a fantasy (American) football league. Just for fun. Haven't worked out the details yet. Just gauging interest, dedication, and feasibility.

Joe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dlguild
Level 1
Level 1

Re: NFL Fantasy Football

Post by dlguild »

Hi Joe,

I've been following this post with interest all week. Amazing how few Linux users are NFL fans. Maybe they are just to embarrassed to come forward because of their location (like Cleveland for example). :mrgreen:

However, rest assured you are not alone. I was born and raised in southwestern Pennsylvania. A life long Steeler addict. In fact I will be spending next week in Latrobe for training camp. I am comforted to know there is someone else in the Linux universe who is not logged in here on Sundays, Monday nights and Thursday nights. :D

Dan
Penn

Post by Penn »

dlguild wrote:Hi Joe,

I've been following this post with interest all week. Amazing how few Linux users are NFL fans. Maybe they are just to embarrassed to come forward because of their location (like Cleveland for example). :mrgreen:

However, rest assured you are not alone. I was born and raised in southwestern Pennsylvania. A life long Steeler addict. In fact I will be spending next week in Latrobe for training camp. I am comforted to know there is someone else in the Linux universe who is not logged in here on Sundays, Monday nights and Thursday nights. :D

Dan
Embarrassed? Well being from Whodey territory and that futility and currently living in an area where the local team just ended the year giving up the largest lead to lose a superbowl by more than twice the old record I could see how someone would think that. But no. I just have no interest in fantasy football.

BTW, my name comes from spending time in your neck of the woods when I came of age to get interested in real (American) football and that is why I don't absolutely hate your team even if they are rivals. The team I despise from that division is the Ratbirds.

Overall, I have been losing a little more interest in NFL the past few years and that superbowl might well have done me in.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

dlguild wrote:Amazing how few Linux users are NFL fans.
Oh, I expected as much. Linux has far more global interest than the NFL, despite what the NFL may want you to believe. :) Just checking the seasonal temperature.

Here in Minneapolis it's going to be a special season, because regardless of what kind of fan you may be, we'll be hosting the Super Bowl in a few short months, and that should prove to be interesting no matter what.

Joe
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Grew up in the Philly burbs - Eagles fan for life - I live in Panthers territory now but will always pull for Philly teams.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

JoeFootball wrote:
dlguild wrote:Amazing how few Linux users are NFL fans.
Oh, I expected as much. Linux has far more global interest than the NFL, despite what the NFL may want you to believe. :) Just checking the seasonal temperature.

Here in Minneapolis it's going to be a special season, because regardless of what kind of fan you may be, we'll be hosting the Super Bowl in a few short months, and that should prove to be interesting no matter what.

Joe
Joe the 2017 season has indeed turned out to be a special, You can pull for the EAGLES, your NFC brothers, in Super Bowl LII - The Vikings had a great season until they ran into the Dogs in Philly - Dilly Dilly. Fly Eagles Fly
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

majpooper wrote:Joe the 2017 season has indeed turned out to be a special, You can pull for the EAGLES, your NFC brothers, in Super Bowl LII - The Vikings had a great season until they ran into the Dogs in Philly - Dilly Dilly. Fly Eagles Fly
While I always support the home teams around here, thankfully the Vikings are not "my" team, as that was a pitiful effort on their part, and fairly torturous to watch. :roll:

Joe
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I'm really embarrassed being from Indiana :mrgreen:
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

JoeFootball wrote: While I always support the home teams around here, thankfully the Vikings are not "my" team, as that was a pitiful effort on their part, and fairly torturous to watch. :roll:
Joe
When I quit watching a game after 3 quarters... that is indeed a pitiful game.
I don't really care who made it to the Superbowl - as long as they beat the Patriots. The Eagles' performance gives me hope :mrgreen:
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I am up for next year for a FF league. Assuming I am no longer absolutely disgusted with the Not For Long league. If you have to ask (dont) your not paying attention.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I follow NFL football closely, but I know virtually nothing about Fantasy Football. I suspect I might enjoy it, if I knew how it works... :?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

austin.texas wrote:I follow NFL football closely, but I know virtually nothing about Fantasy Football. I suspect I might enjoy it, if I knew how it works... :?
It's actually very easy. In a nutshell, for a traditional fantasy football league, the team owners (of which you'd be one) draft NFL players before the season starts, where your drafted roster (around 14 players) becomes your team for the season. Then before the games each week, you submit your weekly starting lineup (around eight players) from your team.

Your lineup goes against another owner's in the league each week, where if your players do better in their NFL games (based upon a predetermined scoring system), you get the win. Your wins & losses go into the standings, where if warranted, you advance to the playoffs, and ultimately the championship game.

Joe
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

dlguild wrote:Hi Joe,

Dan
Hmmm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK-jFsTCmnM
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

The team I was rooting for made the playoffs and was on their way to a playoff win. They were winning by one point with ten seconds left in the game and the other team had the ball at midfield. My team lost.

See y'all next year...
Penn

Post by Penn »

majpooper wrote:Grew up in the Philly burbs - Eagles fan for life - I live in Panthers territory now but will always pull for Philly teams.
How are you feeling today?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

underdogs ?
Top Dogs !!!
Snoopy_Dancing.jpg
Linux Linx 2018
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I had season tickets to the Tampa Bay Bucs first season. Maybe went to half the games. Not very interested in pro football these days, but do support my school's team, USF, who play in the same stadium as the Bucs.
I did enjoy the Superbowl though. Glad the Eagles won as I was raised about 80 miles west of Philly.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

Although my team (New Orleans) was not in the Superbowl it was a very good game from start to finish. Congratulations Eagles and their fans...
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Jim Hauser wrote:Although my team (New Orleans) was not in the Superbowl it was a very good game from start to finish. Congratulations Eagles and their fans...
It was indeed a good game.
I was disappointed that New Orleans didn't make it, also.

Q. What do you call a bunch of guys sitting around watching the Superbowl?
A. Vikings
Linux Linx 2018
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Penn wrote:
majpooper wrote:Grew up in the Philly burbs - Eagles fan for life - I live in Panthers territory now but will always pull for Philly teams.
How are you feeling today?
The game was unreal - obviously the best Super Bowl ever in my eyes.
Not sure our International brothers will quite understand but If you are a true Eagles fan here is what you do;
First you bark (like a dog) - we were the under dogs after Carson Wentz (our franchise Quarterback) got hurt and all the way through the play-offs. Then you spell Eagles and last you shout the word Eagles

So it goes like this:
woof woof woof E - A - G - L - E - S EAGLES
If you are with other Eagle fans (like in a neighborhood taproom) you sing the Eagles fight song "Fly Eagles Fly"

Fly Eagles Fly
On the road to victory
Fight, Fight, Fight
Fight Eagles Fight
Score a touchdown 123

Hit 'em low
Hit 'em high
And watch our Eagles fight
Fly Eagles Fly
On the road to victory
E-A-G-L-E-S!
Eagles!

Oh . . . and since Boston's Museum of Fine Art lost their Super Bowl bet with Philly's Art Museum
they have to loan John Singleton Copley’s “Mrs. James Warren (Mercy Otis)” (ca 1763) to the City of Brotherly Love.
Had fortunes been reversed then Philly would have had to loan Benjamin West’s “Benjamin Franklin Drawing Electricity from the Sky” (ca 1816) to Boston.

Yo! - What? Yiz think Philly ain't got no culture.
woof woof woof E - A - G - L - E - S EAGLES

Return to “Open Chat”