How do I reinstall Windows Vista after Linux Mint?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
alexshevits

How do I reinstall Windows Vista after Linux Mint?

Post by alexshevits »

I bought a used Toshiba Satellite with Mint installed. The seller gave me the Window Vista re-install disc. He apparently wiped the machine clean so the recover partition is gone. I need Windows to run a program for our Contract Bridge Club. I tried pressing F12 when I turned the computer on, to boot from the install disc. Linux still loads. I have tried several other options. I have never used Terminal and I don't know or understand how to write commands. I need "Help for Dummies". From what I have read, I need to erase Linux, install Windows, then re-install Linux in a partition. Yes, but HOW?

Moderator: I split your post off from the 4 year old topic in which you had posted. It's usually much better to create a new topic than to post on an old one.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
syg00

Re: How do I reinstall Windows Vista after Linux Mint?

Post by syg00 »

Happy to help someone help their bridge club ... :p
No need to remove Mint, but you will need to free up some disk space for Vista (ugh, really ugly Windows version). We don't know what desktop environment you are using, so it's hard to give specific instructions. Get the GUI disk manageer up and take a screenshot, or even use your phone. Post the image here (if allowed, I dunno). Terminal would be better - can you get a terminal session up ?.

Sounds like you need to get into the BIOS. Too long since I had a Toshie, but try other keys on power-up; the splash screen might even tell you. F2 comes to mind.
Then change the device order in need to boot the DVD.
alexshevits

Post by alexshevits »

Happy to help someone help their bridge club ... :p

Dummy here: no Bridge pun intended....
ugly Windows version ---- I agree, but it is what came with ---
Get the GUI disk manager up and take a screenshot --- What is GUI & how do I get to it?
Terminal would be better - can you get a terminal session up ?. --- I did once so I should be able to again. I am willing to try Terminal, but I would need step by step
Sounds like you need to get into the BIOS --- I tried F2, Holding down the zero key, F12, Shift, etc.
Then change the device order in need to boot the DVD - At one point I managed to get to where I theoretically could change the device order, but the devices listed were in brackets (disabled??)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

most Toshiba PCs are F2 to get into the BIOS, & F12 to select another boot device.
- either, or both should enable you to get the DvD to boot up,
you can tell that, when you hear the drive spin faster . .

just experiment with the various options, whilst keeping the DvD in the drive / tray.
- until you finally get the DvD to spin up.
you may have to start with the LinuxMint disk, first, and use that one to modify the HDDs partitions.
& then repeat the process in order to get the Vista disk working.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

While it is possible to install Windows after Linux, it is not a straight forward process. The Windows installer is just not powerful enough to help you much along the way. You really must know what you are doing...and even then, there is a great chance that something will go wrong and you will have to install Linux again after Windows. The Linux Mint installer makes the process of installing Linux alongside Windows easy.

In my opinion, the easy way to install Windows on a system running Linux, is to put Windows on a Virtual Machine using your choice of VM software. My experience has been that VirtualBox is very easy to use. No more complicated than installing Windows on a physical machine, and no worries about messing up you current operating system.
syg00

Post by syg00 »

Hard to argue. I'm not much of a virtual user, but it's certainly a good option here. And if it doesn't wor out, nothing lost.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

+1 for Virtual Machine.

Oracle's VirtualBox is excellent. I've used it for years and set up a friend to run XP for a particular Windows program that won't run in a later Windows version and wouldn't run using Wine in Linux.
alexshevits

Post by alexshevits »

I am working on the Virtual Box solution. Hit a bump in the road, but when I get that smooth out, I suspect VB is going to be my eventual solution. Still working on it though........
alexshevits

Post by alexshevits »

Virtual Box did it. I am so psyched! Thanks to all. BTW: I lived in Brisbane for two years decades, lots of decades, ago. Wish it had been Perth.
alexshevits

Post by alexshevits »

SOLVED and am a happy camper!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

That's great news!

Could you add the word [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line of your original post? That way, members browsing posts will know it's been solved.
alexshevits

[SOLVED] How do I reinstall Windows Vista after Linux Mint?

Post by alexshevits »

VIRTUAL BOX did it

Return to “Open Chat”