Anyone got any interesting hobbies?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
chrisuk

Re: Anyone got any interesting hobbies?

Post by chrisuk »

My main hobby is observing and photographing Wildlife... mostly Birds, but Mammals too. My main use for a Computer is processing pictures (I take 100s each week) and logging what I see - also comparing with others in forums what I observe and what they've observed.

Behaviour fascinates me the most, how the only animal species that complains is Homo Sapiens... the rest of the animal kingdom just gets on with surviving as best they can... whereas we just moan. I've seen animals crippled by Man, either through carelessness,* or maimed by traps, that just continue trying to feed and mate, some even raising young while being in agony. I should add that those that I can help I do, but some I get to see too late and the damage has already been done. I've also seen animals tortured by Man. Oops... wrong forum, I'm going off topic, I'll stop there.

*(eg. not disposing of our crap that tangles up the legs of birds and after an incredibly-painful period of weeks/months rots the feet and leg through lack of a blood supply.)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Exploring caves.
fl000016.jpg
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Austin,

Very cool! I went on an 'introductory potholing for beginners' two day course here in the UK peak district and it scared the bejesus out of me. At one point we were lowering ourselves down a long 45 degree incline on our bellies. No ropes, no idea how far the incline went because it was maybe 100 metres and off to one side was an 'endless' drop. It was muddy and you had to lower yourself from one handhold to the next extending your body, trying to find a foothold. I honestly felt it was quite dangerous and we should have had ropes. At one point the guide went to lower himself down off a ledge at the end of this incline and realised he was dangling over the abyss after a wrong turn and has to pull himself back up.

Crazy stuff.
davexnet3

Post by davexnet3 »

I like to run in the mornings & surfing
Bee-keeping is another hobby I want to start.
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Woodworking, fresh water aquariums
Mint 21 Vanessa | Cinnamon | x64
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Don't know if archery counts as a hobby but that's what I love to do when I can spare some time. Shooting arrows in cool breezed twilight, nothing compares to it! :D
lexon

Post by lexon »

Retired in 2006 and over 76 years old.
Dancing about four nights a week and working out.
Not a big deal in other parts of the world but ride a bicycle about 2400 km a year for pleasure and shopping.

L

Post by 1.618 »

Play guitar and juggling,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2_j6kMg1co

Juggling is great because you use both sides of the brain simultaneously which causes more connections to be formed between the two hemispheres of your brain :D It's great for posture and co-ordination and a bit of non strenous exercise, I can string several basic tricks together and look semi competent but long way to go yet..... it's actually really easy to learn too, can master the basics in 15 mins but it's addictive!
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

I have been brewing my own beer for over 30 years. Have won a few awards in competition and have gotten qualified to judge as well. Also occasionally get to brew with small commercial brewers, sometimes with my recipes or yeast that I cultured at home.

In my younger days I was a fairly serious cross country ski racer... however my talent was not a match for my dedication and I was never better than a generic 'pretty good college skier'. Now, old and fat, I only go out when snow conditions are nice, which is sadly becoming rarer each winter. Also do little trail running in summer but no competition.

My wife and I have a few donkeys, goats and miniature horses. Most of my 'leisure' time is now occupied by them. Anything left over is consumed by cutting and splitting firewood for our totally wood heated house.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

1.618 wrote:Play guitar and juggling
At the same time? Wow,that takes real talent! :wink:
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

I install satellite and terrestrial tv systems, just to help out friends and family now, not for money any longer
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

Martial arts: 4th dan Aikido, 2nd dan Kyudo but in my seventies now can't practise much, just a bit of Tai Chi.

Clockmaking:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4k91kutu7p2e ... 9.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqcexse5dfak1 ... 6.JPG?dl=0

Russell
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Green-cedar-19+52

Post by Green-cedar-19+52 »

I like to play chess.
Last edited by Green-cedar-19+52 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Hmmmm, let me get this straight Mintbean, you're basically saying there's actually other stuff to do, than dork with my computer and tech ? Oh stop it ... ya pulling my leg fellow nixer. :D

Sadly that's only 1/2 joking, fact is atm myself = practically zero life. However I did manage to come by a new tech-related hobby recently, it's called speed-PLONK'ing. You may've heard of it ... no ? :lol: I'm being a dork, well mostly, was being honest about the no friggin life thing ! Arghhhhhh !
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

My favourite hobby is tinkering around in my basement workshop either making things from the wiring I've been accumulating over the years, or making something out of my woodpile. If all else fails, I'm sure something will fall apart and I'll have to fix that. I could list all the things that have fallen into disrepair over the years, but I'm sure you're all aware of what what can break down, WILL break down...eventually.
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
NChewie

Post by NChewie »

Scuba Diving - I qualified up to a Dive Leader with BSAC. Most of my diving has been around Ireland, but also, France, Italy, Israel, Egypt.

I do Pilates to keep my core strong and flexible and normally do some Supreme 90 day workout every work morning before I leave the house. (It's similar to Insanity)

We tend to take activity family holidays: cycled around Lake Konstanz one year, along the Canal du Midi another year.

Just about to go from self-employed to salaried :D so more money but less free time coming up.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Lysander666

Post by Lysander666 »

151tom wrote:I troubleshoot and repair old Vacuum Tube Table Radios that I find at estate sales that are still in excellent condition although no longer work.
Very interesting. Care to post pics of some of the favourites that you've worked on?
Amii_Leigh wrote:My favourite hobby is tinkering around in my basement workshop either making things from the wiring I've been accumulating over the years, or making something out of my woodpile. If all else fails, I'm sure something will fall apart and I'll have to fix that. I could list all the things that have fallen into disrepair over the years, but I'm sure you're all aware of what what can break down, WILL break down...eventually.
I don't know what any of this means. Can you be more specific?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

151tom wrote:I troubleshoot and repair old Vacuum Tube Table Radios that I find at estate sales that are still in excellent condition although no longer work.
An acquaintance of mine collects old radios. I've never been to his house, but I'm told he has room after room piled floor to ceiling with old radios.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Jeffex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jeffex »

Like old_noob, I brew my own beer, although I am nowhere near as much of an expert as he.
I used to draw a lot, but not lately, and I like photography.
Here is a drawing and a couple of photo manipulations of mine. The photos are of where I live in Gisborne, on the east coast of New Zealand.

https://imgur.com/1Lxl6LR

https://imgur.com/WwOpYVC

https://imgur.com/ZKwdwmP
Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa, Cinnamon: 4.4.8

Return to “Open Chat”