Anyone got any interesting hobbies?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
theStreak

Re: Anyone got any interesting hobbies?

Post by theStreak »

CNC / CAD design / woodworking (Inventables X-Carve)
video editing (Shotcut / Gimp / Inkscape / Blender / SimpleScreenRecorder)
developing software (both my profession and hobby for years)

Post by 1.618 »

jimallyn wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:44 pm
1.618 wrote:Play guitar and juggling
At the same time? Wow,that takes real talent! :wink:
Blindfold on a unicycle with one arm tied behind my back as well.... :lol:
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Currrently working as volunteer for Beto O'Rourke, candidate for US Senate, Texas.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Depending on where your passion is and what fascinates you, any hobby can be interesting. I juggle between three of my present hobbies:
1) photography (events, wildlife, portrait)
2) rc helicopters (those that can be flown upside down)
3) biking (trail and everywhere)

My talent and skills are kind of mediocre, though people who are not into these hobbies think I got talent and skills.

If only I had the talent+time+money, the following could have been my other hobbies:
- guitar playing
- hang gliding
- scuba diving
- sky diving
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Flagon_15

Post by Flagon_15 »

I usually build model kits ; mostly planes and helicopters, but I've done one or two ships and a couple cars as well, although these were gifts.
Right now, all of my free time is sucked up by reading articles like this one and translating them into French, and it has been so for three weeks now... But it's well paid, so I'll have more money for models :mrgreen: (and if I ever want to buy a flat in the UK, I'll be quite knowledgeable about how it works and what the latest bank reforms and taxes are! Which is useless so far because hell if I can ever own an apartment somewhere :lol: )

.... aaaaand I can't access my imgur account, even if I wanted to post pics of my models. Crap.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

My passion has been music for the better part of my life (Acoustic, Rhythm and Bass guitar). I am also a Philatelist. I also have numerous other interests that I indulge in when needed, Carpentry, Motor mechanincs, I've also owned and ridden Motor bikes for half my life. Photography is another hobby that I should get back into....... time. Reading...... 'puters....... I think that covers it broadly. Most of my time is spent nursing a chronically ill wife which has been for the best part of the last 30 years. I should have studied medicine ;).
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I looked at this thread several times before deciding to open my (big a$$) mouth and say something here.

I thought about responding with a humorous retort; for example:

ME: Needlepoint.

ANOTHER MEMBER: Needlepoint? Really?

ME: That's right. Give me a needle, and I can point that sucker anywhere.

However, and not, I guess, for the first time in recent days, I'm going to say something pretty personally revealing to the community: I don't, actually, have any hobbies. Computers and technology used to be a hobby, but as technology has become so mainstreamed, commercialized, and integral in society, it's all become an appliance.

I used to build sci fi ship models. I've built an original series Enterprise, a movie era Constitution refit Enterprise, a Galaxy Class Enterprise, various X-Wings, Y-Wings, TIE fighters, and a host of other stuff, both for myself and then for a friend who used to have a comic book and collectibles shop and liked to have some appropriate yet tasteful decorations. However, eventually, I ran out of room to keep what I had, and I quit making them and gave away what I had.

I used to love to read, and actually I've got a new classic era Dr Who novel I'm working on right now, but I haven't read on a regular basis in 18 years or more.

I've never been into or really interested in sports. I kind of like occasionally watching a soccer game, but prefer to do so with friends who are actually into Fußball, but I can't reliably do so with them because they're in Germany and I'm here, and besides, I have to find a game that's being steamed somehow because I have no other way of watching them.

Between 2001 and the present day, I've either been too tied up with work, too exhausted from work, or too broke because of extended periods of unemployment to actually get into anything. However, I'm coming to recognize that's not healthy, so I'm just throwing this all out there to see what reaction (if any) there might be from the community.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:13 pm Between 2001 and the present day, I've either been too tied up with work, too exhausted from work, or too broke because of extended periods of unemployment to actually get into anything. However, I'm coming to recognize that's not healthy, so I'm just throwing this all out there to see what reaction (if any) there might be from the community.
You're right, it's not healthy. Perhaps you should, in fact, try needlepoint. Why on earth not?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Does sex count? Because that has been an interest of mine since I was quite young and I would say the one that has lasted the longest. The thrill of the chase and all that.

Sailing. Although I have not sailed continually all my life it has been one of my interests always.

Celestial navigation. With a few tools I can find out where I am and what course to take to get to my destination. Very useful some decades ago but not so much in these days of GPS. I still enjoy it though. I guess it will be a dead science pretty soon.

Electronics. Designing, building and repairing. I should do more of that because I enjoy it.

Computers although less and less. Now I don't want to tinker, I just want the darn thing to work right.

Always had interest in cryptography although I was never an expert.

I used to read books much more than I do now. Now I read more from the Internet and I hardly read books anymore. I consider myself to have a good cultural base in several cultures. History, traditions, social, government, legal organization. I believe this gives me a broad view of present and past cultures that most people lack. I do not understand the absolutist views of people who think "my culture is right and the others are wrong" and "my point of view is the only good and valid point of view". I have a very relativist view of cultures and history. What we consider absolute values today in a hundred years will be laughed at if we are lucky; otherwise they (and we) will be considered evil.

Woodworking, metalworking, shopworking, building, repairing, tinkering. Very satisfying.

I used to have my own chemical photo lab but color photo and then digital put an end to that some decades back.

I used to work on my own vehicles, motorcars and motorcycles, but they got more complex and I lost interest. Now I just want the darn thing to work and not give me trouble.

I used to be into ham radio but have not been active in a long time.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I was, before retiring building tube type guitar amplifiers for people. Always loved guitars and amplifiers.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:08 amYou're right, it's not healthy. Perhaps you should, in fact, try needlepoint. Why on earth not?
*points needle at Moem*

Well hey, would you look at that! That's the most fun I've had in weeks.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:20 pm That's the most fun I've had in weeks.
See? And you've only just started! :lol:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Reddak98

Post by Reddak98 »

Play guitar, mostly acoustic and I like to restore damaged photographs.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Anyone got any interesting hobbies?
Lol, yeah. Developing for Linux Mint :)
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I can turn wine and beer into urine :oops:
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Pepi wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:09 am I can turn wine and beer into urine :oops:
Anyone can do that, it was interesting if you could do it the other way around 8) 8)
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Bolle1961 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:55 pm
Pepi wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:09 am I can turn wine and beer into urine :oops:
Anyone can do that, it was interesting if you could do it the other way around 8) 8)
I will try it next time I walk on water :wink:
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Used to do a bit of sailing in my younger days, in everything from a sea snark to a catamaran to an aircraft carrier.

I collect old postcards and history stuff of the local area.

I have a butterfly garden, although my son does most of the work. Currently have a few Eastern Black Swallowtails in a mesh enclosure waiting to emerge from their chrysalises.

I do quite a bit of reading, especially science fiction. A recent favorite is Dark Matter by Blake Crouch.

That's about it, although I guess I could include sampling craft beer in a few local breweries (we have about 60 in the Tampa Bay area now).
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Captain Brillo

Post by Captain Brillo »

I have a long-time medical permit to grow that stuff that's illegal most everywhere :D

Have developed quite a setup in a spare room - that's all the space it takes.

And, of course, next month everybody else here gets to grow their own , too.

Many more people will be :D :D :D :D
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I enjoy providing confusing or poor advice on internet technical forums.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Open Chat”