Anyone got any interesting hobbies?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MintBean

Anyone got any interesting hobbies?

Post by MintBean »

What else do you get up to, non computer related?

I'm into growing hydroponic vegetables (without any stellar results so far, but some success) and I'm toying with the idea of making my own soaps. I'm also interested in 'fringe' science and spend a lot of time scouring old science, engineering and radio magazines (anything from the 1850s onwards) for interesting stories.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Anyone got any interesting hobbies?

Post by catweazel »

I collect minerals, and study quantum mechanics and the scientific evidence for life after death.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

catweazel wrote:I collect minerals, and study quantum mechanics and the scientific evidence for life after death.
Very cool. I had a so called 'near death experience' when I had double pneumonia around the age of two. Don't remember it myself but my folks recounted stuff I told them about it and I have no reason to believe they made it up. We're not a religious family.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I make 3 different styles (so far) of hot sauce.
1) with scotch bonnets (sweet/hot)
2) with scotch bonnets (sweet/very hot)
3) with cayennes (vinegar/hot)

-H
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

MintBean wrote:What else do you get up to, non computer related?

I'm into growing hydroponic vegetables (without any stellar results so far, but some success) and I'm toying with the idea of making my own soaps. I'm also interested in 'fringe' science and spend a lot of time scouring old science, engineering and radio magazines (anything from the 1850s onwards) for interesting stories.
Making wine from kits. Requires patience and temperature controlled storage. :D :D
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintBean wrote:Very cool. I had a so called 'near death experience' when I had double pneumonia around the age of two. Don't remember it myself but my folks recounted stuff I told them about it and I have no reason to believe they made it up. We're not a religious family.
I believe you. No religion required. The scientific evidence that consciousness continues is both fascinating and astounding. When I say scientific, I mean peer-reviewed journal scientific, not new age or religious woo woo. The vast majority of people don't even know that the material even exists, let alone that near-death studies is now a genuine scientific pursuit. The whole body of evidence at least betters the legal standard of beyond a reasonable doubt.

As for the experience itself, it has clearly defined common stages that cut right across all religious, cultural and social boundaries. Either nature has endowed man with a clearly defined common death experience or "summat's goin' on". I'm in the latter category :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

wallyUSA wrote:Making wine from kits
If you like mulled wine, get a hold of a tablespoon or two of speculaaskruiden and toss it into your next batch.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I like to run in the mornings or evenings (or both :lol:). Great for clearing the head, and the morning runs in particular give a nice "I just ran, I can do anything today!" sort of feel. I also used to be really into coin collection - nothing expensive, just what I could get my hands on. I still like collecting the occasional odd coin in my pocket change, and stamps as well.
I've been playing piano for most of my life. My favourite songs are classically-themed works - for instance, a work by Beethoven or a good movie soundtrack. I just prefer songs that can stand on their own and carry quite a bit of emotion, rather than ones that require a drummer, guitars, and some semi-screaming singers. :P

I love reading about nuclear physics. It's closely related to my line of work, so I get to have fun and learn more about my field.
Reading in general is great fun. I can't do it so much these days, but if I get a spare moment and there's a book nearby - goodbye world!

That being said, what I really adore are the rare events I can take my telescope out and look at the stars for a few hours. There's no feeling like seeing the rings of Saturn (even for the hundredth time), or taking a step back and gazing in awe at the absolute vastness of the universe. There are even moments of intense action as a satellite rolls by and I scramble to keep it in my scope's sight!

catweazel: I used to collect rocks. I've still got some nice gneiss samples, a sedimentary stone that's been folded under enormous pressures, and some fossile samples. A prize rock in my collections a bit of polished granite from India that a friend brought over.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Fred Barclay wrote:catweazel: I used to collect rocks. I've still got some nice gneiss samples, a sedimentary stone that's been folded under enormous pressures, and some fossile samples. A prize rock in my collections a bit of polished granite from India that a friend brought over.
That's very cool. My prize is a presentation case of 22 of these: Painite
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

I like to tend to my outdoor plants. I have a couple fig trees, several pecan trees, half a dozen grape vines, a pear tree, a bay tree, dozens of sweet potatoes and all of the squirrels and possum that go with them. I like to take digital photographs and read really old books too. At times I can still manage a few tunes on my 75 Fender Precision when my joints are limber enough. Since you asked for non-computer related hobbies you have saved me a lot of typing! :-)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Nah, I'm not really someone who does interesting stuff. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote:Nah, I'm not really someone who does interesting stuff. :wink:
No conversation starters there.
it also has the magical ability to take the burning from hot peppers away instantly
It's the casein in the milk that does it. Milk attracts capsaicin, binds it and modifies its structure (hydrogen bonds). Chilli isn't actually hot. Capsaicin, the active ingredient in chilli, activates pain neurons (polymodal nociceptors) only because it is similar to another compound that actually does cause pain; I forget its name. This is true because birds eat chillis without any ill effect.

So, you were right, nothing interesting there :D
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Don't know if it's interesting ;)
Radio amateur, listening to marine and air traffic. Sometimes talk on the CB
Photograpy, just taking pictures in the parks in my village or at the Landtong outside my village. Mostly nature, sometimes vessels. No cruise ships but special vessels like big crane vessels. At the Landtong are besides ships also highland Cattle. Besides pictures I make sometimes video's.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landtong_(Rozenburg) (dutch)
https://translate.google.nl/translate?s ... edit-text= (google english)
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

catweazel wrote:
wallyUSA wrote:Making wine from kits
If you like mulled wine, get a hold of a tablespoon or two of speculaaskruiden and toss it into your next batch.
Very interesting. Thanks for the suggestion :!:
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

wallyUSA wrote: Very interesting. Thanks for the suggestion :!:
It's lovely in red wine. You can buy it on flea-bay.

Cheers.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I do stand up paddle boarding (SUP for short). What piqued my interest and got me into standup paddle boarding was the short YouTube video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFI2JNRlo7c

My sup is a board designed for surfing the waves, but it can do flat water cruising also. The sup is a custom built all carbon SUP Sports "Hammer" model and it was built to my custom specifications which are: 8'11" long, 31" wide (at it's widest part), 4" in thickness (at it's widest part) and it is 140 liters in volume.

It has a 5 fin setup (quad + 1) on the underside of the tail end which allows me to surf the waves and do "short" flat water cruising sessions time wise. BTW, it is seafoam green in color. SUP Sports is located in Santa Barbara, California. Their website is below.

http://supsports.com/

I use the board for:

1) Surfing the board on the waves in the surf zone on the upper Texas coast.
2) Leisurely flat water cruising on area lakes and saltwater marshes.

I only weigh 145 pounds which means I don't have a lot of body fat to keep me warm in cold water so I have a "comfort zone" when it comes to water temperature. With that said, I don't like being in the water when the water temperature drops below 66 degrees F since I don't wear a wetsuit or a bulkier dry suit.

I'm lucky I live in southeast Texas since our water temperature reaches 66 degrees F in the second week of March (usually) and doesn't drop below 66 degrees F until the first or second week of November (usually) which allows me to be on the water for 8 months of the year. During the summer months of June, July and August; our water temperature for the beachfront and area lakes can get as warm as 88 degrees F (or warmer).

I keep track of the water temperatures for the upper Texas coast and the closest area public lake to me (Lake Conroe) with the two links below.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/wgof.html

http://www.sjra.net/lakeconroe/lake-levels/

I've been seriously thinking of getting a second sup from SUP Sports and if I do, it will be a custom built all carbon "One World" longboard model with my custom specifications of: 11'1" long, 30" wide (at it's widest part), 4.25" thick (at it's thickest part) and it should be around 172 liters of volume. It will also have a 5 fin setup (quad + 1).

This board will be able to do "long" flat water cruising sessions time wise, surfing waves in the surf zone and as an added bonus, allow me to do coastal cruising out in the Gulf of Mexico about 1 mile from the beach.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

building, customising and "tweaking" motorised bicycles...got my personalised bike up to 42 mph w/ 66cc motor...DAMIEN
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I help my son and his friends with their YouTube vids...mostly help with lighting rigs and audio gear (I'm an amateur musician).
They're trying to develop their gaming channel.
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

Depends on how you look at things.

Hobbies in the sense of things you might be more actively doing - I'd say herbalism and genealogy nowadays.

In the sense of kind of semi-active fandom - Anime, manga, SF & F, comics. :D
Last edited by mwbworld on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Wow... incredible response! Thanks folks, I'm reading them all.
Makes me realise I've been a bit too obsessed with all things Linux for the last couple of years... need to spend more time on other stuff.

Keep 'em coming...

Return to “Open Chat”