Anyone got any interesting hobbies?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Anyone got any interesting hobbies?

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

that is just pretty damn sharp!
I like it, great for campus travel.
Its funny, everywhere i go, people are whipping out their camera phones and asking if they can take a pic of it...never realised that a bike would attract the type of attention that its getting...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...The lighting kit on it is solar powered rechargable as well as plug in recharge as well...i never plug it in anymore, i just let the sun do it all...also kevlar tires and double walled, self sealing innertubes...lol.

Just so you are aware...ive had it up to 47 MPH amd still had a little throttle left...Backed off though...Too fast for a bicycle...lol...But i use it on the roads almost daily and people do a double take when im passing cars...lol.
MarHaj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MarHaj »

• Muni = Mountain unicycle
  • Barebow archery
  • Shamanic drumming
  • Country guitar
MarHaj
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Photography (Bubbles a Favourite), Painting in oils & Water Colour, Furniture refinishing, Historical Marbling (for Bookbinders)
Samples of my efforts here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hwlt6vpk1eeu ... ajm8a?dl=0
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

I have added two more hobbies after posting a reply to this thread two years ago. One of them is archery...it is so much fun and actually helped overcome boredom at the start of pandemic-related lockdowns last year.
MarHaj wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:34 am
  • Muni = Mountain unicycle
  • Barebow archery
Good to know a fellow archer here. I shoot in a slightly lower equipment class...Instinctive Recurve.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
WriteF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WriteF »

Have been wanting and trying to write books (both fiction and non-fiction) for some years now and making slow progress.
The DnD campaign I am in now is almost going for 3 years now (thx pandemic!). I really wanted to start some campaigns of my own as a hobby but I guess it's not happening any time soon. Maybe I can get something started here at some point if plenty are bored. It really isn't the same as sitting around the table tho.
MintBean wrote:Either nature has endowed man with a clearly defined common death experience or "summat's goin' on". I'm in the latter category :)
Reminds me of the experiences people had with sleep paralysis. The human psyche is a hard thing to study and "understand" for sure. I was once shocked to my core with what I "heard" when I woke up once. If I were religious I would have been throwing salt around the bedroom :lol:
Benkyou taimu!
  • LPIC-1 [__________]
  • Debian Admin Handbook [==________]
  • The Linux Command Line [__________]
  • How Linux Works [__________]
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:39 am I thought i would show you my hobby, other than computers,
Damien, I seen your bike before, got to say that is about the perfect frame for that conversion. Also digging the mag wheels. As someone who worked as a machinist for 20 years, it always bugged me to see a wheel (spoked) running out anything more than .015 - .020 thousands of an inch, and they often come "from the store" with tolerances greater than this.

I had a nice mid-drive electric bike, but I left it sitting too long unattended...now it is gone.
pic.
Stunner_3.JPG
Then I got a folding fat electric bike, but hub drive, they suck on hills BTW.

Now I'm thinking of going with one of those gas conversions. Just about guaranteed a quart of gas has more "ummmphf" than the best ebike battery. My only concern is "can I get away with it". I have seen a couple of them around...so maybe.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Now I'm thinking of going with one of those gas conversions. Just about guaranteed a quart of gas has more "ummmphf" than the best ebike battery. My only concern is "can I get away with it". I have seen a couple of them around...so maybe.
It depends on what country you are in, or if in the US, what state you are in as i have the glossary of laws covering most of the world on these babies...im also an assistant of one of the forums covering these bikes, much like the LM forums...PM me for any info/details that i can help with in your contemplations...DAMIEN
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

Jim Hauser wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:40 am I like to tend to my outdoor plants. I have a couple fig trees, several pecan trees, half a dozen grape vines, a pear tree, a bay tree, dozens of sweet potatoes and all of the squirrels and possum that go with them. I like to take digital photographs and read really old books too
Where I used to live, I had 3 fig trees and used to enjoy the box turtles turning up to enjoy fallen figs. It is a nature sanctuary with all manner of reptiles,birds and mammals,which I enjoyed watching.
In my new place,I planted a dwarf fig tree a couple of weeks ago.
I also enjoy gardening and have heirloom tomatoes each year.
The instrument I've played for years is a hammer dulcimer. I enjoy playing Celtic music.
like science fiiction and hysterical fiction,nature and science books.
Sometimes I open the Gimp and draw with my Bamboo tablet.
So,that's about it.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
Mintmann
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mintmann »

Chess and Violin
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

For twenty years I indulged my passion for scuba diving. I dived the Great Barrier Reef, the Red Sea, the fjords of Norway, the west coast of Scotland, the Baltic Sea off Finland, the South China Sea, and most of all the shipwrecks in the English Channel. Good times and happy memories, but I am too old for such rigours now.
Cliff Coggin
redcarrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by redcarrot »

I keep trying to cook.
In-spite of all the rolling eyes and 'what the heck' looks I get from family.
I cook what I eat. Mostly experimental. Sometimes it works.
My style is its got to be ready real quick.
Plus I have turned vegan. (About 99.9 percent)

Tried some hobbies earlier,
Photography - Nope, 'Can't see the light!'
Sketching - got a sketch book. END.
Younger, I like treks, cannot walk like that any-more.
LINUX FAN
Replies may be delayed due to different time zone

Return to “Open Chat”