Anyone got any interesting hobbies?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Anyone got any interesting hobbies?

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Pepi wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:09 am I can turn wine and beer into urine :oops:
Hey! I do that with Scotch and Crown Royal!

Great hobby, isn't it? :lol:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Bolle1961 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:55 pm
Pepi wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:09 am I can turn wine and beer into urine :oops:
Anyone can do that, it was interesting if you could do it the other way around 8) 8)
Hmmm...new form of Alchemy...

Supposedly, you can make vodka from almost anything. I'll pass, however (er...no pun intended!)
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
sportsman

Post by sportsman »

Love playing poker and red dog with friends but no money involved. Just pure fun :D
garry9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by garry9 »

Gym.
Last edited by garry9 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Riding my bicycle. been doing it since 1953. On the streets not the sidewalks. Any thing less that 10 miles is just a warmup. Longest at one stretch 183 in 14.5 hours. Longest in one day Astoria to Ashland Oregon. 410 miles in 26.5 hours.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

building and riding motorised bicycles and "fine tuning" them...ive actually gotten one of them to peak at 42 MPH...slowed down real quick, to fast for a bicycle...lol...DAMIEN
lexon

Post by lexon »

I do like experimenting with eBikes.
My newest is a KHS, 27.5 inch mountain bike with a 48 volt 750 watt Luna motor and controller mounted right under the pedal assembly. Display on the center part the handle bar and looks like an iPhone mounted horizontally. Five levels of assist and can be turned off. Thirteen and a half amp battery.
I can get a display with GPS but my iPhone does that and my hearing aids have Bluetooth for directing me.
My fourth bike. Others to new owners.
It will be a few months. Heart flat-lined but the pacemaker is helping restore me.

L
Chele

Post by Chele »

I'm not sure just how interesting it is to most, but I'm very fond of prospecting and panning for gold, and "treasure hunting" with a metal detector. I spent years prospecting the dry washes of Arizona and southern California. Now I'm roaming the jungles of Central America with my detectors, gold pans, and geologist's pick.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

garry9 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:32 pm bicycle, football, books. thanks for the interesting thread here!
Nice link
Selection_001.jpg
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

It's alright Haveamint, you're saving your money, it appears to be a gambling site.:D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
EdgarNo

Post by EdgarNo »

I like to ruin family dinners by talking about the destruction of the bourgeois system.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I just remembered social dancing in the USA.

Dancing since 1953 when I started taking lessons. Now over seventy seven. Never thought of it as a hobby.

Foxtrot, Waltz. Today, various ballroom styles, swing, Salsa is a sensuous dance style I like. One partner is very good at this style. It can burn off the calories.

Many rock dances can also.

Country Western dances, Twp Step step and Waltz.

Favorite song is, title song from Dirty Dancing movie.

Quite a few dance partners.

Heart flat lined last October but the Pacemaker over my heart brought me back with rehab. Back to normal a week ago. Tech is great.

Cheers.

L
redlined

Post by redlined »

Past year has seen a shift in focus towards becoming a bit more self-sufficient and sustainable from an "urban homesteader" sort of mindset. Currently our 'farm' consists of two humans, two beautiful dogs, 10 chickens (6yearling/egg layers and four 3-5yo not laying much anymore), and 22 Tilapia (fish, of which a dozen grow into harvest size this Spring). We have a desire to grow our farm adding two miniature goats this year (most likely a whether and a doe, Nigerian Dwarf, as permitted by Denver code). with maybe some goat milk and cheese experimenting in a year.

The main "hobby" I have grown to love this past year has been the Aquaponics system we gave our living room over to 15 months ago, in order to keep it indoors for year round growing of herbs and veggies (and fish:). Basically it is a 200 gallon fish tank (300 gallon total system water) setup in a constant flow of nutrient and oxygen rich water from which the plants grow fast and huge very quickly. (think hydroponics with a big fish tank added in which replaces the huge requirement to supplement all required nutrients for plant growth)

The entire setup is basically no waste and other than having to add about 3 gallons water per day due to evaporation and plant transpiration it really is simple to create and maintain. Besides being in control over exactly what is involved in the growing of food I eat, and easily keeping it fully organic (although technically that is a soil media based term), it does however require supplementing of some nutrients based on plant types grown.

With a notable exception of nitrogen, which is in abundance as the fish waste is all broken down and converted from ammonia to nitrites (good for plants, still bad for fish) by a beneficial bacteria that grows once the system is stabilized, the nitrites are then converted to nitrates by another bacterial process, which the plants love and the fish don't mind even at rates above 120ppm (as they are now).

So I get to play 'mad chemist' tinkering with the aquaponics system daily, collecting and saving heirloom and organic seeds, and just enjoying the healthy 'fruits of my efforts' directly in a year round really cool small ecosystem.
David Chiang
Level 3
Level 3

Post by David Chiang »

EdgarNo wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:55 pm I like to ruin family dinners by talking about the destruction of the bourgeois system.
An excellent idea, that you should do at various weddings as a self-invited guest too! :lol:

Ok, for me is it cycling, kiteboarding and sailing. :)
Last edited by David Chiang on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LMDE 5 Elsie (64-bit), Linux Kernel 5.10.0, Cinnamon 5.6.8, inxi 3.3.28;
HTPC: ASUS TUF B450M-Pro Gaming, 3.6 GHz AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8 cores),
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100, 2 × 4 TiB Seagate BarraCuda ES.3, 4 × 16 GiB HyperX Predator DDR4;
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Well, at the moment I'm playing with Arduino and having a whale of a time :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
EdgarNo

Post by EdgarNo »

David Chiang wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:53 am
An excellent idea, that you should do at various weddings as a self-invited guest too! :lol:
I will take this into serious consideration :D
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

David Chiang wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:53 am
EdgarNo wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:55 pm I like to ruin family dinners by talking about the destruction of the bourgeois system.

Ok, for me is it cycling, kiteboarding and sailing. :)
So, are you riding in the Tour Down Under? ;)
Fully mint Household
David Chiang
Level 3
Level 3

Post by David Chiang »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:06 pmSo, are you riding in the Tour Down Under? ;)
Not yet, but there are supposed to be beautiful areas that are best for this purpose. Currently, I use the beaches on the west coast of Japan for my sport, which are known to lie on the Japanese Sea. Although the temperatures are lower, but the wind blows almost always inland at this time of the year. :)
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100, 2 × 4 TiB Seagate BarraCuda ES.3, 4 × 16 GiB HyperX Predator DDR4;
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Yes, quite beautiful, but, Bluddy hot! 41C or thereabouts for the last week and more to come. Hottest place was Moomba with 49.6C though there have been reports of 52C from some places. Lots of nice hills to ride through, so, not only will your legs get a workout, but keeping cool and hydrated is also a major challenge.
Fully mint Household
David Chiang
Level 3
Level 3

Post by David Chiang »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:01 am 41°C or thereabouts for the last week and more to come. Hottest place was Moomba with 49.6°C though there have been reports of 52°C from some places.
Oh man, that would be even too much for motorcycling! I could imagine riding a bike at 30°C, but it gets more and more uncomfortable when the temperature goes up. Under these circumstances, it would be good to drink half a liter of isotonic beverage before you leave. You should also carry two thermos bottles with ice-cold noncarbonated mineral water on your bike. :idea:

Return to “Open Chat”