Anyone got any interesting hobbies?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
gregor22

Re: Anyone got any interesting hobbies?

Post by gregor22 »

I will add my hobbies, I like to play chess in my free time or go take photos, sometimes I get very beautiful and rare photos, I have already collected a whole collection.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

David Chiang wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:04 pm
lsemmens wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:01 am 41°C or thereabouts for the last week and more to come. Hottest place was Moomba with 49.6°C though there have been reports of 52°C from some places.
Oh man, that would be even too much for motorcycling! I could imagine riding a bike at 30°C, but it gets more and more uncomfortable when the temperature goes up. Under these circumstances, it would be good to drink half a liter of isotonic beverage before you leave. You should also carry two thermos bottles with ice-cold noncarbonated mineral water on your bike. :idea:
Due to a severe vehicle accident in 2008, my body no longer is able to control fluctuations in body temperature. At 85°F ambient I must find Air Conditioning fast, or I will suffer a heat stroke.

So, to ride my Honda GL1800 motorcycle on warm days, I always carry an ice chest on the trailer hitch rack with a mix of ice and water. I have a Phase Change vest that will maintain 59°F temps for 2 to 2-1/2 hours when next to my body, and my riding jacket is over it.

when the Phase Change material starts to warm up, I stop for fuel, a relief stop, and put the Vest into the ice water mix. 20 minutes of that is good for another 2 hours plus.

https://glaciertek.com/high-visibility/

Bike and Trailer in grass 400 pixels.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Yes.
Greencedar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Greencedar »

I like to play chess, puzzles, hike, and read older biographies, Chinese (traditional), and novels (classics).

I am a member of lichess (my name on lichess is greencedar).
Greencedar
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:16 am
David Chiang wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:04 pm
lsemmens wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:01 am 41°C or thereabouts for the last week and more to come. Hottest place was Moomba with 49.6°C though there have been reports of 52°C from some places.
Oh man, that would be even too much for motorcycling! I could imagine riding a bike at 30°C, but it gets more and more uncomfortable when the temperature goes up. Under these circumstances, it would be good to drink half a liter of isotonic beverage before you leave. You should also carry two thermos bottles with ice-cold noncarbonated mineral water on your bike. :idea:
Due to a severe vehicle accident in 2008, my body no longer is able to control fluctuations in body temperature. At 85°F ambient I must find Air Conditioning fast, or I will suffer a heat stroke.

So, to ride my Honda GL1800 motorcycle on warm days, I always carry an ice chest on the trailer hitch rack with a mix of ice and water. I have a Phase Change vest that will maintain 59°F temps for 2 to 2-1/2 hours when next to my body, and my riding jacket is over it.

when the Phase Change material starts to warm up, I stop for fuel, a relief stop, and put the Vest into the ice water mix. 20 minutes of that is good for another 2 hours plus.

https://glaciertek.com/high-visibility/

Bike and Trailer in grass 400 pixels.png
Nice rig!
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
garry9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by garry9 »

gym, yoga, art
Last edited by garry9 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
otacon14112

Post by otacon14112 »

I have an on-going 8088 homebrew computer project that I've been working on for a couple years. I have some posts about here on my tech blog http://www.techstuffonly.com/, which I haven't used as often as I thought I would when I first started it. It has 384 KB of SRAM, a 20x4 LCD display, PS/2 keyboard, and a basic command line.

I also recently got into 5e D&D, and I'm always studying something, usually some sort of science. I also really like '90s alternative rock and grunge.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I am 74 and bike alot. 12.4k png pix won't copy and paste :( Note knee shadow is same expression as face :D
Attachments
bikers.png
bikers.png (22.51 KiB) Viewed 6574 times
powerchord84

Post by powerchord84 »

I yoyo.
TLMAC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TLMAC »

Since my disability (approx. 13 years ago), I've really enjoyed rebuilding/refurbishing old radios (tube type or transistor). Many people have asked to purchase them and I've refused. I only share them with people who promise not to sell or barter them and I never charge for them.

My entire family have some and they not only love the look, but truly enjoy the sound (tend to have a lot of bass). The older ones (30's and 40's) with lighting make great nightlights for kids and the soft bass sound keeps them asleep through out the night. Station dependent of course...LOL

I also spend time rebuilding PC's, and other electronic devices. As a retired EE, most of my life has been spent working with electrical/electronics. Started in the SEM (scanning electron microscope) industry and just prior to retirement spent 15 years in the process control and integration field. Really enjoyed my employment and it still brings me satisfaction to this today.

Of course, I never miss an opportunity to go hunting/fishing. But IMO, those are not unusual hobbies...

Mac
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi TMLAC...i envy you, my fondest wish is to find an old fashioned radio and have looked now with zero success for the last 8 yrs since i retired here to alamogordo nm...i will not buy one of these crappy modern radios i see in the stores since sound quality is lousy, so i do not have a nice radio to listen to at home so i have to rely on my computer and a rather massive music library covering from WWII to early 2000s that ive gathered for 50 yrs now since i was a teenager...lol...yours is a great hobby...cheers...DAMIEN
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

powerchord84 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:15 pm I yoyo.
I am, too...

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
TLMAC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TLMAC »

DAMIEN1307

Sounds like a good hobby - doesn't it. Not if you ask my wife... I'm constantly reminding her that the so-called junk in my workshop (she refers to it as "The Dungeon") has value. I seriously doubt this is the appropriate forum for her responses. LOL

Based on your statements, it appears you'll require more than just a radio. Such as an aux compatible source for playing your collection. Perhaps, a record/tape player, component system or console. They exist, unfortunately they can be costly. Sounds as if you have a significant volume of older playable medias. I envy you...

One suggestion I would offer, is to watch for estate sales (especially older estates) in your region. It's been my experience that their systems are rarely used and often in very good condition. Then simply find an individual in your region that has the skill/knowledge base to check it out. There's more of us out there than you think.

Live and worked in Los Alamos for a few years and found the area very pleasant. I also have family (retired) that live near Gallop. They live off the grid, but seem to be very happy. IMO Some older people have no desire to indulge in modern technology and choose to live in remote regions. Sometimes, I think they may have it right...

Good Luck
Mac
lexon

Post by lexon »

Right now I do not have a new hobby but a new goal, to get back into shape. Last October 29th, I opened my eyes and looked up at a doctor lifting his hands off my chest telling me my heart had stopped for quite a few seconds. I essentially died for fifteen seconds. I was laid out for two months and had to go though rehab. Talk about chest pain for six weeks.
Starting to dance again. Working out again. Riding bicycle again.
I cannot drive for six months. State law. I was fainting before heart failure. Engine check light was on but I did not pay close attention. It could have been fatal. It may have been for some. I was in a cardiac care unit waiting for the Pacemaker.
Heart Block. I now have a Pacemaker. Google it.
Cheers.

L
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Gold Panning (not much lately, very hard work for little return)
Metal Detecting, here is a 41 second video of a "live dig" finding old Spanish Silver. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa9WBy6ggF4
Wood Working, have made and sold some nice furniture, but the crown jewels of my wood working would be these two cedar strip canoes.
canoesCropped-02.JPG
Quite a few others have come, and gone, like RC planes, and like some others here I bicycle quite a bit too.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

rickNS wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:10 pm Gold Panning (not much lately, very hard work for little return)
Metal Detecting, here is a 41 second video of a "live dig" finding old Spanish Silver. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa9WBy6ggF4
Wood Working, have made and sold some nice furniture, but the crown jewels of my wood working would be these two cedar strip canoes.
canoesCropped-02.JPG

Quite a few others have come, and gone, like RC planes, and like some others here I bicycle quite a bit too.
I hate you...:D

(NICE work...)

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Here's mine:
https://imgur.com/a/ffyFRkx

Combines my favorite TV shows and some operating systems you might have heard of :)
gabrieldavid

Post by gabrieldavid »

I like to play old games on my Android phones. Like Gameboy Advance, Playstation 2 and GameCube games. I used to play them in my childhood like pop sands of time, art of fighting, and sega , snes games. I can say it my hobby because I like to do it in my leisure time using different emulation techniques. Other than this I like gardening,
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I thought i would show you my hobby, other than computers, that i just love doing...about a year ago, using imgur, I showed pics of my motorised bicycle i use, almost everyday, here in the deserts of New Mexico...Have had a lot of time on my hands since most attractions etc, have been shut down during the pandemic so i figured it was time to do a major conversion to my bike.

The conversion involves changeover from spoked wheels to Mags, coaster and rim brakes to disk brakes, etc.

The first IMGUR is the bike the way it was when i initially built it at end of May 2020...The second IMGUR shows the bike at the end of January
2021...enjoy...DAMIEN

https://imgur.com/a/wNpGyGI

https://imgur.com/a/ELxOIgv
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

DAMIEN

that is just pretty damn sharp!

I like it, great for campus travel.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Open Chat”