Latest hack on Win 10 users.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
turtlebay

Latest hack on Win 10 users.

Post by turtlebay »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revian

Re: Latest hack on Win 10 users.

Post by revian »

Simple solution: Use Linux Mint instead of Microsoft Windows.
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

Ah yes, we know that, but some Linux users help our poor relations who are still stuck on MS products and this is a heads up for them.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

We (Microsoft\wont gonna be responsible for any damage and bans to your computer
:lol:

Switching still won't be an option. Microsoft promises to send those (forced) updates to "strengthen" the security of their OS. And users who Fear the Change just can't be forced.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

You would think that MS would put a lot more effort into securing their OS rather than introducing fun, new ways to get creative :?

You're not going to have too much fun dealing with a banned OS :D
revian

Post by revian »

WharfRat wrote:You would think that MS would put a lot more effort into securing their OS rather than introducing fun, new ways to get creative :?
If you owned a popular auto repair shop, wouldn't it be financially beneficial for you to go around town scratching the paint on various automobiles?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

revian wrote:If you owned a popular auto repair shop, wouldn't it be financially beneficial for you to go around town scratching the paint on various automobiles?
Yes, if I was absolutely sure that I would be the one benefiting financially from the repair work and my shop's reputation wasn't damaged by my misdeeds.

With windows it's the companies developing and selling virus removal software that are benefiting financially and Microsoft's reputation is constantly being tarnished.

I'm sure you've seen "Get free virus protection with Microsoft Security Essentials"

Either Security Essentials is ineffective because it's free or windows is so full of security holes it's impossible to plug them up.
Aleron Ives
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aleron Ives »

I've always found the very concept of MSE to be quite a head scratcher. The reason Windows needs antivirus in the first place is Microsoft designed an OS that's full of holes, so why would you trust the company that made Windows insecure in the first place to also provide the antivirus that's supposed to keep your PC secure? If MS knew what it was doing on the security front, it would have integrated essential security concepts into the OS from the start, and then a separate security program would be unnecessary, as is generally the case with Linux. Instead of building a watertight raft, MS would rather release a patch to plug one leak while two more leaks get discovered somewhere else.
Green-cedar-19+52

Post by Green-cedar-19+52 »

Interesting.
Last edited by Green-cedar-19+52 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

+1 pretty much everyone who's posted. Not like ransomware is anything new. This was hilarious.
The scam appears to be targeting the more vulnerable as experienced Windows 10 users are unlikely to fall prey to the con.
Lol ... really now, hmmmmm what qualifications constitute an "experienced Window$ 10 user" ? :D Oh I get it, those are the one's who know how to click the right stuff to shutdown their pc's verses just unplugging it from the wall outlet ... right ? :lol:

Not going to miss out on a M$ bash opportunity so an observation. Yeppers you don't have to work very hard making rock-solid, non-hole ridden quality software, when you have a monopoly and hostage audience. Sheesh long since been saying if M$ and it's people actually wanted it to be a truly good platform they could've possibly even given gnu/Linux a bit of competition. Meaning from a technical stand-point. Am sure they've got no shortage of people on the payroll studying how open source works and integrating similar approaches where it benefits them. I don't think they're under qualified people, they have some highly skilled software engineers, they simply don't care or have any real incentive to make their OS's the best they can be.
Why give people steak, when they'll gladly pay the same for a stale bologna sandwich ?
Sighs ... dang it. Also although I clearly don't like M$ and migrated to using exclusively gnu/Linux now. Overall had good experiences with everything window$ to date. Opted out of it after win8.1. Wasn't a bad OS after someone spent a few days learning about tweaking and optimizing it, shrugs. Just didn't want to deal with their platform anymore. Why with much superior operating system(s) readily available for free ... Not like Nix is the only one either, shrugs. If hadn't been bitten so hard by the gnu/Nix bug, I'd be over BSD'ing. :D
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

Updates only twice a year?!?!
A Microsoft spokesperson said: “Windows Updates will be delivered twice a year.

"We look forward to delivering the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update to our millions of Windows 10 customers beginning October 17.”
Wow, that really sounds totally overconfident...
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^ Interesting thanks and nice sigline.

Again ... think it comes down to them thinking more like knowing, why work harder than we have to ? They'll ( that being the majority of pc users) will take what we give them and like it ! Gotta say nobody can realistically deny window$ does more than meet the needs of an average computer user. Facebook, no problem, email no problem, web-browsing etc and really in the hands of someone who invests the effort to learn about the platform is capable of quite a bit in real-life practice. BIG SHRUG.
lisabonne citadel

Post by lisabonne citadel »

What I really like about the windows is the total confidence that this system gives you all the time.
YOU Need help ... microsoft guarantees full refund when you buy a new computer. :lol:
Just because your computer is old ... so you've already been banned.
The profit margin of the micro is not to sell the operating system without computer but with it.
Therefore the individual treatment of this company before ordinary users is only a lack of respect.
They do not know what IS to earn a few dollars per month and survive every day.
IN THIS CONTEXT They are a bunch of opportunists.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

This is one of my favorites, LOL.
Format.gif
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
ddayhtx

Post by ddayhtx »

Spearmint2 wrote:This is one of my favorites, LOL.

Format.gif
:lol:
CoffeeFiend

Post by CoffeeFiend »

That "warning" banner was laughable at best. It amazes me how gullible someone must be to fall for that load of crap. I have a Windows 10 laptop and the one thing I hate most about it is the automatic updates. The last one I got was just last week and there was no warning at all. I let my laptop run all night and when I woke up the next morning it had rebooted and was installing updates. No prompting. No asking if I wanted to install the updates. Nope. Very annoying.

Return to “Open Chat”