Stupid Questions... just for fun

Chat about just about anything else
vladtepes
Level 3
Level 3

Stupid Questions... just for fun

Post by vladtepes »

I'll start.

I had Mint installed on an old laptop but it was slow and annoying, So I installed it on an unused desktop machine I had (literally) lying around. It all works well but...

I don't have a desk to put it on. Or space for a desk.

Sitting on the floor with keyboard on my lap and using the mouse on the floor is... sub-optimal.

So... ideas? :lol:
Keep Calm
and
Impale Your Enemies

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Stupid Questions... just for fun

Post by catweazel »

Impale it on a stake.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Faust
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Faust »

vladtepes wrote: .....
So... ideas? :lol:
Yes .....
Call it a floortop instead
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

Sitting on the floor with keyboard on my lap and using the mouse on the floor is... sub-optimal.
nah - - keyboard is on lap & mouse is run along your leg . .
8)
all Geeks do everything - - like that.
:D
that way - - you can now use a chair
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Mick-Cork
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mick-Cork »

Have a chat with Clem, tell him he needs to add a Virtual Reality module to the 18.3 roadmap, pronto! :)

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Find a suitable piece of wood / board, drill holes in the corners, hang it from the ceiling at such a place and height that it's just above your lap as you sit in your normal spot. Place keyboard and mouse on board. Hanging desk!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn »

Remote desktop? I helped a friend set up Nomachine (proprietary but libre ones do exist) and I discovered if I chose to use it my secondary machine I could fully use it with not need to ever physically touch the secondary using wakeonlan to either boot or resume from sleep (if you don't have multi boot since it won't work for grub). Full usage of the secondary (server) from the primary (client).

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

Are you able to turn the desktop into a desk? I once set a desktop on an tall but sturdy plant stand, set the CRT monitor on the computer, and worked the keyboard and mouse on my lap. It was not pretty and it annoyed my stingy boss to no end, but it was functional and had a footprint that was small to fit in my work stall.

And then there is the mirror trick. Get a small wooden object and a mirror. Place a mirror on one wall. Look into the mirror and see what you saw. Take the saw and cut the wooden object in half. Two halves make a whole. Place the hole on the wall. Is there is enough room on the other side for a desk?

Okay, I'm leaving.,,,,

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

vladtepes wrote:So... ideas? :lol:
Order pizza.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

vladtepes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vladtepes »

Some outstanding ideas there, some bending the laws of physics to breaking point - which I like. :)

penn your remote desktop idea is practical, so no fun at all :lol:
Plus the irony of using a remote desktop via a computer not 4 feet from the one I DO have on a desk.....
Keep Calm
and
Impale Your Enemies

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 »

I fixed the sister-in-law up with a system that she can use with her bad eyes. A 46 inch big screen TV with a VGA port. A small desktop Dell 880. A wireless rodent and 8 foot VGA cable and audio plug for the audio. She sets in her recliner with the foot of it just clear of the base of the TV. Keyboard on her lap and rodent running on the recliner arm.
She says that the writing is just the right size and distance for her to read without glasses.
She also drives a car without glasses.
I ask her to call me on the phone when she is ready to drive so I can get off the road.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

vladtepes wrote: Plus the irony of using a remote desktop via a computer not 4 feet from the one I DO have on a desk.....
No irony there. One of my servers butts right up to my main beast and I use VNC to connect to it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

vladtepes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vladtepes »

catweazel wrote: One of my servers butts right up to my main beast and I use VNC to connect to it.
Fair call. My windoze computer and FreeNAS server couldn't possibly be more physically intimate... they are in the same case !
puTTy for the console and web browser for GUI.
Keep Calm
and
Impale Your Enemies

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Some more options for you...
desksbytomgauld.jpg

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

My desk...
mydesk.png

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

catweazel wrote:My desk...
^ :lol:
Mine's not far off that. BTW the machine I'm using was a laptop. I mean "was" because it no longer has its display and is propped against a table, with monitor on a turntable (second monitor on the worktop) and keyboard on my lap, mouse mat is a DVD case on the seat. Both mouse & KB are wired, connected through a hub on the end of a USB extension cable. Works for me. :mrgreen:

Remote desktop might be an idea if the old laptop is used with Xfce or another suitable distro.

I do like the idea of a "hanging desk". Except those two in my avatar would turn it in to a swing, they already have fun with the swivel chair in the corner. :roll:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

Plug in some 3d goggles and a Michael Jackson glove with 3 points you can use as a 3d mouse and dance around the room surfing the net.
Don't forget to run VLC with some half decent tunes.
Maybe "I'm Bad" seems to be appropriate with the glove and goggles for geeks on crack.

Orrr just cut a hole in your floor until it resembles a desk where you can sit mid way to your desktop, and of course pizza is always a must when doing these types of projects and a jack hammer and chisel.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

BG405 wrote:
catweazel wrote:My desk...
^ :lol:
Mine's not far off that.
You should see my previous office...
oldoffice.jpg

Return to “Open chat”