Font identiy...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Font identiy...

Post by tenfoot »

Is anyone able to identify this font, please?
Heading.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Font identiy...

Post by BenTrabetere »

Patreon sponsor since August 2022
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Thanks for your prompt response. I'll be getting it, as soon as I can.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

tenfoot wrote:Thanks for your prompt response. I'll be getting it, as soon as I can.
I am not a fan of Brush Script - it sits beside Comic Sans MS in my Never Use font bin.

Can I suggest some alternatives to consider? All are free for commercial and non-commercial use.

Anke Calligraphic is a casual handwriting font.
http://www.fontgrube.de/en/ankecallig.htm

Aquafina Script is a formal script font.
http://www.sudtipos.com/fonts/95

Variane is a classic script font.
https://www.behance.net/gallery/2685563 ... cript-Font
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Thank you for your suggestions but, unfortunately, the Association decided upon the font many years ago and will not change :(

The other font used in the letterhead is also unknown to me. Are you able to identify it, please?
letterhead2.jpg
tenfoot
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That looks a whole big lot like Comic Sans... if you don't recognize that one, you're a lucky person! :roll:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Moem is correct, the second sample is Comic Sans. It is a shame the Association selected two of the worst fonts to use. It is a bigger shame the Association is set on using them - it screams the logo, letterhead, menu, whatever was not created by a graphic artist or designer.

Please do not let them see Papyrus or Comic "Parchment".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus_%28typeface%29
https://creativemarket.com/benharman/229510-Comic/

I think Comic "Parchment" is fun font. It is a mash up of Comic Sans and Papyrus. Good for all the wrong reasons, but never suitable for actual use.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Moem wrote:That looks a whole big lot like Comic Sans... if you don't recognize that one, you're a lucky person! :roll:
Nope! I didn't recognise it. I have to confess, though, that now you have pointed it out, I dimly remember in a previous life (when I wasn't ancient :) ) I had used for something.
tenfoot
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

BenTrabetere wrote:Moem is correct, the second sample is Comic Sans. It is a shame the Association selected two of the worst fonts to use. It is a bigger shame the Association is set on using them - it screams the logo, letterhead, menu, whatever was not created by a graphic artist or designer.
No, I think it was the choice of the Secretary of the Club, who held that position for about 30 years.Who knows, over time, I they may be open to a change in design. Any ideas of a good font to use for a letterhead?
Please do not let them see Papyrus or Comic "Parchment".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus_%28typeface%29
https://creativemarket.com/benharman/229510-Comic/

I think Comic "Parchment" is fun font. It is a mash up of Comic Sans and Papyrus. Good for all the wrong reasons, but never suitable for actual use.
Neither appeal to me. I usually stick to Times New Roman for any printed correspondence required.
tenfoot
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

tenfoot wrote:No, I think it was the choice of the Secretary of the Club, who held that position for about 30 years.Who knows, over time, I they may be open to a change in design. Any ideas of a good font to use for a letterhead?
Recommending a change in design can lead to hurt feelings if the person who designed the logo and letterhead is still active in the organization. But if they are open for change....

I would look for a font that is easy to read and scales well. If they prefer a script font for the logo, I think Variane would be one to consider - it is clean, easy to read, scales well, it has a 'we can be fun' look to it, and it should play nice with other fonts.

For the text part of the letterhead - address, phone number, contact information - I would go with a standard font that is easy to read and scales well. I am partial to Helvetica and Palatino. Others I might consider are Futura or Univers for a sans serif, or an old style serif like Garamond or Times New Roman.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

BenTrabetere wrote:
tenfoot wrote:No, I think it was the choice of the Secretary of the Club, who held that position for about 30 years.Who knows, over time, I they may be open to a change in design. Any ideas of a good font to use for a letterhead?
Recommending a change in design can lead to hurt feelings if the person who designed the logo and letterhead is still active in the organization. But if they are open for change....

I would look for a font that is easy to read and scales well. If they prefer a script font for the logo, I think Variane would be one to consider - it is clean, easy to read, scales well, it has a 'we can be fun' look to it, and it should play nice with other fonts.

For the text part of the letterhead - address, phone number, contact information - I would go with a standard font that is easy to read and scales well. I am partial to Helvetica and Palatino. Others I might consider are Futura or Univers for a sans serif, or an old style serif like Garamond or Times New Roman.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will keep them in mind and, who knows, one day a change may be made.
tenfoot
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Culver's uses Brush Script.

I like Brush Hand, and in fact somewhere in the Net, someone took the font from some original materials, cleaned it up, cleaned up the kerning data, and re-released it as Brush Hand New.

Font Squirrel is a good source for many Libre-licensed fonts, or just free fonts.

As much as I can, though this isn't always possible, I use Libre fonts (SIL, etc.) instead of those with more encumbered licenses.

I ran across a video a couple years ago of type designer Matthew Carter giving a TEDtalk and think some of you folks here might appreciate it as much as I did.

Oh, tenfoot, FYI...
tenfoot wrote:Is anyone able to identify this font, please
MyFonts.com: Brush Script
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”