Non smart stuff.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Citizen229

Non smart stuff.

Post by Citizen229 »

Its getting harder and harder to find non-SMARt technology. I have been waiting for 2 years for non-SMART television to go 4k. And this weekend I found a brand that makes them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-55-C ... #read-more

Its Sceptre brand. I always thought they made a decent PC monitor, just not anything fantastic. Anyone using this brand of television? What do you think of it?

We can still purchase non-smart appliances for the kitchen. They are still at the high end point, I am sure that will fade away in the next few years.

If you have a non-smart item/brand thats tough to find post it here and let me/others know by posting here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Non smart stuff.

Post by excollier »

Buy the smart version but don't connect it to the interweb
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Paying for something you do not want, is not an intelligent decision. The purchase of a SMART product further propagates the integration of SMART technology. The purchase of non-SMART technology uses the power of currency to statistically show the technology is unwanted by the customer.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Citizen229 wrote:Paying for something you do not want, is not an intelligent decision. The purchase of a SMART product further propagates the integration of SMART technology. The purchase of non-SMART technology uses the power of currency to statistically show the technology is unwanted by the customer.
Except that...
1) Your demographic is too small to make a financial impact on companies. Nobody else cares. (I'm not being funny - I dislike the smart invasion myself.)
2) You'll probably get a better product for the same price if you don't rule out smart. I would say that's worthwhile if you can disable or conveniently work around the smart features.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Citizen229 wrote:Paying for something you do not want, is not an intelligent decision. The purchase of a SMART product further propagates the integration of SMART technology. The purchase of non-SMART technology uses the power of currency to statistically show the technology is unwanted by the customer.
Wow, I thought I was the only one who thought this way. I love computers and have been using them for decades, but there are some things I just want as simple as can be, like you mentioned---a TV. Other things come to mind for me:

Window fan. I tried to find a window fan like the one I already have. A knob with three speeds. I ended up with one that has a digital display, a built-in thermometer, and buttons that you have to cycle through to get to the speed you want. Annoying!

Electric pressure cooker. I bought an electronic one with a digital display with all the bells and whistles features. Died after a year and a half. I was able to find one with just a knob that turns it on and has a physical countdown. Runs like a top!

P.S. Just read mintbean's response. I have to disagree with #2. If something is the same price with all the extras included, the quality of the product is reduced.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

There was a time you could not get a laptop without a touchscreen. I'm glad to see that trend is fading away.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

mr_raider wrote:There was a time you could not get a laptop without a touchscreen. I'm glad to see that trend is fading away.
+1
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

mr_raider wrote:There was a time you could not get a laptop without a touchscreen. I'm glad to see that trend is fading away.
+2. Now I just wish they would bring back the taller aspect screens on something that's not a Mac.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Except it probably came with Windows on it, would that be considered SMART???
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

For TVs I vote for non-smart (= a monitor), with the "smart" capabilities in a different box, because they won't keep updating the smart TV's software as well as with a dedicated box.

Example: We have a smart Samsung TV which *used to have* youtube...it disappeared after an update a few months ago. I also notice there are also fewer icons on the menu screen (but dunno which ones are missing because I've never used most of them).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

MintBean wrote:
Except that...
1) Your demographic is too small to make a financial impact on companies. Nobody else cares. (I'm not being funny - I dislike the smart invasion myself.)
2) You'll probably get a better product for the same price if you don't rule out smart. I would say that's worthwhile if you can disable or conveniently work around the smart features.
Point 2 someone already hit
Point 1- Any statistical data will be skewed because of that mindset of buy it and disable it. As with anything else the statistics are manipulated due to lack of options.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Citizen229 wrote:Point 1- Any statistical data will be skewed because of that mindset of buy it and disable it. As with anything else the statistics are manipulated due to lack of options.
I don't disagree that there will be some skew but let's be realistic here, the demographic is similar to those who care about running a free operating system and there aren't that many of us. That aside, the 'real' statistic is immaterial in this instance as the skewed one is the one the manufacturers see on their bottom line. I don't say I like it, but that's the way I see it.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Citizen229 wrote:Paying for something you do not want, is not an intelligent decision.
It might be, if it's the only way to get what you do want. I have a "smart" phone, and I like it, but I don't feel any need for a "smart" TV, or a "smart" refrigerator, or a "smart" just about anything else. Do they make "smart" toilets yet?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

Do they make "smart" toilets yet?
Smart Toilet Seat: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N7HTXCE/

Smart Toilet Seat, with constipation relief! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BWANF6/ :mrgreen:

The whole shebang: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00P0YWEHS

Careful what you ask for.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

jimallyn wrote:Do they make "smart" toilets yet?
Mine already has a built in operating cistern.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

sarge816 wrote:
Do they make "smart" toilets yet?
Smart Toilet Seat: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N7HTXCE/

Smart Toilet Seat, with constipation relief! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BWANF6/ :mrgreen:

The whole shebang: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00P0YWEHS

Careful what you ask for.
At that price it better wipe my ass with rose petals.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

MintBean wrote:
jimallyn wrote:Do they make "smart" toilets yet?
Mine already has a built in operating cistern.
LOL! Good one MintBean.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

mr_raider wrote:...
At that price it better wipe my ass with rose petals.
I agree.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

JerryF wrote:LOL! Good one MintBean.
Thank you, thank you... :D

Return to “Open Chat”