WebExtension Hell is Comming Upon Us.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

WebExtension Hell is Comming Upon Us.

Post by bartszu »

Do you guys have any plans how to survive that.
Extensions are actually already broken.
This idea seems like logic, but I completely don't care, and wonder, what you think about all this mess :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Re: WebExtension Hell is Comming Upon Us.

Post by bartszu »

I just wonder too, maybe you know.
Is this all mean, that from 28 Oct, all extensions which did not move to new API will bee simply scraped, and will disappear ?
Selection_016.jpg
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I already use Pale Moon, so I don't have to worry about this. However I do have FF as my backup browser (which I haven't had a need to use for months now if not longer). I am using the ESR version so I won't have to worry about this for another year. By then I'm planning on switching to either Waterfox or Basilisk as my backup browser, as they will continue to be compatible with "legacy" add-ons.

Whether any old add-on disappears or not is up to its developer(s), or whether anyone is willing to fork it. As far as being available on Mozilla's add-on website, I'd be surprised if it continues to host "legacy" add-ons once FF57 is released. It might be a good idea to download and save the .xpi files of all the add-ons you use.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Devil's advocate here. :lol:
Privacy Badger, UBlock Origin, NoScript, and HTTPS Everywhere are already available as Web Extensions so I'll just keep on keepin' on. :D
I did use an extension to duplicate tabs in the context menu that doesn't seem to have been ported over, but I found another extension that does the same and works on Firefox 57 so I've just switched to it.

(If Firefox 57 Beta is any indication of the final product, I'm going to love 57 when it is finally released! It's noticeably faster, and while getting used to a single search bar has been, well, interesting, it's easy to add the old two-bars back if you want.)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bartszu »

Schultz wrote:I already use Pale Moon, Waterfox, Basilisk as my backup browser, as they will continue to be compatible with "legacy" add-ons.
It might be a good idea to download and save the .xpi files of all the add-ons you use.
Thanks Herr Schulz °)

Fred Barclay wrote: Privacy Badger, UBlock Origin, NoScript, and HTTPS Everywhere are already available as Web Extensions so I'll just keep on keepin' on.

I'm going to love 57 when it is finally released! It's noticeably faster, and while getting used to a single search bar has been, well, it's easy to add the old two-bars back if you want.)
Good °) What about New Tab Tools and Hide Caption Titlebar.
Man FF has single search bar since like version 21.
Selection_017.jpg
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

Fred Barclay wrote:Devil's advocate here. :lol:
Privacy Badger, UBlock Origin, NoScript, and HTTPS Everywhere are already available as Web Extensions so I'll just keep on keepin' on. :D
I did use an extension to duplicate tabs in the context menu that doesn't seem to have been ported over, but I found another extension that does the same and works on Firefox 57 so I've just switched to it.

(If Firefox 57 Beta is any indication of the final product, I'm going to love 57 when it is finally released! It's noticeably faster, and while getting used to a single search bar has been, well, interesting, it's easy to add the old two-bars back if you want.)
Yup. I can understand folks fussing. But for me 57 looks great and all the addons I use look to be on path to transitioning to extensions. Plus i love the whole idea of being able to have different tabs being different logins to different services/sites because there are things where I have work and personal accounts that I can finally have open in the same browser (just in different tabs.) That alone will be way, way useful.

Return to “Open Chat”