Why Friends & Foes in the settings on the Forum?SOLVED

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Why Friends & Foes in the settings on the Forum?

Post by catweazel »

MrEen wrote:So what you're trying to say is all non moderators should put catweazel on their Foe list, correct? :lol:
That's possibly the best advice ever given on this forum.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Oh no, MrEen. Don't ever make a medieval wizard angry! He'll turn you into a toad. :shock:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I also put MrEen in the foe list to test something else, it will show the full quote if someone quotes them just like in catweazel's post above.
I haven't noticed any major changes for having people listed in friends
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

I'm surprised this hasn't been asked yet but: Is the enemy of my enemy my friend :?: :roll:
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, greerd.
  1. Your question is offtopic with respect to the topic of this thread. It is only about the question why the forum software permits users to segregate other users into friends and foes.
  2. The answer to your question, whether the enemy of your enemy is your friend, can be easily found by looking at any currently ongoing war in the world and at any previous wars in history. The answer is clearly: not necessarily; you cannot be sure.
But we should stay on-topic and not expand the scope of this thread into "explain how the world turns".

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

karlchen wrote:Hi, greerd.
  1. Your question is offtopic with respect to the topic of this thread. It is only about the question why the forum software permits users to segregate other users into friends and foes.
  2. The answer to your question, whether the enemy of your enemy is your friend, can be easily found by looking at any currently ongoing war in the world and at any previous wars in history. The answer is clearly: not necessarily; you cannot be sure.
But we should stay on-topic and not expand the scope of this thread into "explain how the world turns".

Karl
Hi Karl,

I guess my unsuccessful attempt at a humorous analogy tanked: If two users have the same foe, are they now friended. Nothing so grandiose as explaining how the world turns. (above my pay grade)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, greerd.
Oh, I see. I misunderstood your words. Sorry for spoiling the gag as a result. :oops:
Best regards,
Karl
Lifeline
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

I am sorry if this didn't seem like a serious question - it was meant that way, because I wondered why anyone would want to come on a forum like this to cause trouble. I have not been on one before and thought that they were meant to be places of like minded people interacting together sharing knowledge and helping. I am not a nasty person and wouldn't think of being nasty to another. I also thought that such a place with moderation in place would remove such people without the need for such a thing on here. I know that twitter has the ability to block people, but to be honest this I the last place that I would have thought this was needed. I do not believe that I am the only who has thought about this question or has asked it even if that is just to themselves
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

SwanRider wrote: I wondered why anyone would want to come on a forum like this to cause trouble. I have not been on one before and thought that they were meant to be places of like minded people interacting together sharing knowledge and helping.
Even like minded people with the intention to help and share can differ so much in personal style that they don't get along.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

karlchen wrote:But we should stay on-topic and not expand the scope of this thread into "explain how the world turns".
Initial spin rate would have been determined by the angular momentum of the particulate which eventually combined to form our planet. Arguably, since this would apply essentially to all significant objects (planets, moons, stars, etc.) I guess I just explained, quite accidentally, how all of the universe turns.

Whoops, my bad. :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Moem wrote:
SwanRider wrote: I wondered why anyone would want to come on a forum like this to cause trouble. I have not been on one before and thought that they were meant to be places of like minded people interacting together sharing knowledge and helping.
Even like minded people with the intention to help and share can differ so much in personal style that they don't get along.
Thank you I asked this which I thought was a very reasonable question, because I have not been on a forum before and in all honesty didn't expect to see such a thing. Perhaps some are not mature enough to respect others, to agree to disagree, and so the Foes part has to be placed on here as I am sure you will agree Moem. Again thank you for your reply
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Am sure plenty have already said and explained it better than I'm able to. Just the way it is, sometimes personalities clash to the point where people are going to use the add to foe feature. Many reasons for that, seldom use it myself.

Also PLONK'ing people aka: put lamer on killlist ( so you don't see their posts or input) is fairly a well established gnu/Linux tradition, stemming back to the times of BBS=bulletin boards where varied geeks could gather to discuss or share whatever. Basically times before there was such a thing as gnu/Linux or much of an internet either. So by this point it's time honored tradition. :D

Now let's link hands and cyber-sing kumbaya ?
Also ... anyone who even attempts to actually do that is going on my PLONK list IMMEDIATELY ! :P
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lmintnewb2 wrote: Now let's link hands and cyber-sing kumbaya ?
*PLONK*
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^Lmao ... indeed Sir, indeed. :D
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

catweazel wrote:
lmintnewb2 wrote: Now let's link hands and cyber-sing kumbaya ?
*PLONK*
The city of London to a house brick says lmintnewb2 replies to his plonking :mrgreen:
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^ LMAO again, thanks for the smile fellow nixer. We are kinda all in it together but that will never stop people who just won't/can't see eye to eye. So think the user blocking is kind of a mature approach LM HQ takes. We might not always get along but tech has provided us ways to ignore each other without further ire I guess. :D

You however ... I like and aren't at all going on any PLONK list fellow nixer (at least not yet ... lmao). Really do appreciate the smiles fellow nixer. :D
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lmintnewb2 wrote:^ LMAO again, thanks for the smile fellow nixer.
Ok, I lied.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Nah hope he doesn't get put on overmuch ignore lists, as humor is the best medicine. Nor can we all just get along OP, so the option of putting whoever really grates ye buttocks is in fact a good option. As mentioned, a time honored tech-tradition too. Though to be honest scrolling works equally well. :P

Somebody annoys all hades outta you, scroll past their posts and get on with life ... problem solved. Lmao ... though same time if they say something that really pisses you off and you happen to see it, at least if they're not on your PLONK list, you still get to see it and respond if warranted. :P

Potatoe ... patatoe, blahblah.
SwanRider

Re: Why Friends & Foes in the settings on the Forum? SOLVED

Post by SwanRider »

I think I have my answer - it is a simple matter of a lack of maturity and respect for others and manners as people hide behind their keyboard and don't have to face another.

Return to “Open Chat”