Why Friends & Foes in the settings on the Forum?SOLVED

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
SwanRider

Why Friends & Foes in the settings on the Forum?SOLVED

Post by SwanRider »

I was looking at the settings for the Forum and saw the Friends & Foes thingy. Now it may just be me, but surely if we are on this forum we are all friends and sharing our knowledge , experience and love for the best Linux around. So why should we have foes? Sorry I really don't understand that, are they trolls or something? This really does puzzle me and I asked Mrs SwanRider and she said ask on here - so that is why I am asking this :?: :?: :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Why Friends & Foes in the settings on the Forum?

Post by catweazel »

SwanRider wrote:surely if we are on this forum we are all friends
Some people never say thank you. Some people don't take the advice given to them. Some people are rude and demanding. I use the foes option to filter those people out.

PS: *PLONK*
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

It helps to keep the number of flames down. As (probably) the number of sheer heart attacks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkHF_JMnB8o
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I certainly have a couple of people I have given up trying to help for the same reasons catweazel gives. I don't block them but if their posts became more prolific I could see some merit in doing so.
I don't really understand your puzzlement. It's not something you would see a need for- okay, we get it. Different folks, different strokes though, right?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintBean wrote:I certainly have a couple of people I have given up trying to help
*PLONK*
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Because some of us can't get along with some others, and in that case it's better to avoid interaction than to make a big deal out of it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
minitux

Post by minitux »

me too (not here, on ubuntu-it forum) I used the function, it was needed
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

OP, whoever told you life is fair and everyone is nice was lying to you. :wink:
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, SwanRider.

The forum software phpBB brings along these categories of friends and foes; but you are absolutely free to ignore them. I do, ignoring these categories, I mean. :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

karlchen wrote:you are absolutely free to ignore them.
/me hurries to profile page in order to list karlchen as a friend

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Faust

Post by Faust »

I use an old option from my early days of being a forum member .
It's called " Scroll down to the next post "

It's remarkably efficient , and very light on resources .
" Forum Politics " is so tedious ..... it makes me feel tired all over

Happy Friday 13th everybody !
... in Spain it has no significance , but Happy Friday 13th to all Spanish members also :D
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

But what about Frenemies? :twisted:
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I've always wondered how this worked. Suppose I list somebody as a foe, then I go to a thread where that foe has made a post. Does his/her post not show up for me? Wouldn't that kind of break the continuity (for lack of a better word) of that thread, possibly leading to more problems?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Schultz wrote:I've always wondered how this worked. Suppose I list somebody as a foe, then I go to a thread where that foe has made a post. Does his/her post not show up for me? Wouldn't that kind of break the continuity (for lack of a better word) of that thread, possibly leading to more problems?
Try it by blocking yourself :mrgreen:
SwanRider

Post by SwanRider »

Thank you for all the replies, I shall keep this open for a little while longer. I've had to look at what flame means Pjor so thanks for expanding my knowledge again. It is just a pity that it has to be here as everyone I have contact with has been a nice peep and very helpful to me :) :)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Schultz wrote:I've always wondered how this worked. Suppose I list somebody as a foe, then I go to a thread where that foe has made a post. Does his/her post not show up for me? Wouldn't that kind of break the continuity (for lack of a better word) of that thread, possibly leading to more problems?
This is what happens. Now I have to remove catweazel from the list
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Jeremy, Jeremy,
you are playing with fire. You are lucky that putting moderators on the ignore list will have no effect. But catweazel could put a spell on you. :lol:
Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

karlchen wrote:Jeremy, Jeremy,
you are playing with fire. You are lucky that putting moderators on the ignore list will have no effect. But catweazel could put a spell on you. :lol:
Cheers,
Karl
I thought about putting myself on my own foe list as catweazel suggested to Schultz but it wouldn't work because I am a moderator :D

I did remove catweazel from that list as I don't think it is appropriate for moderators to have anyone on that list but I had to see what exactly was shown just to have an answer for Schultz
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

JeremyB wrote:
This is what happens.
Thanks JeremyB.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

JeremyB wrote:
karlchen wrote:Jeremy, Jeremy,
Cheers,
Karl
I thought about putting myself on my own foe list as catweazel suggested to Schultz but it wouldn't work because I am a moderator :D

I did remove catweazel from that list as I don't think it is appropriate for moderators to have anyone on that list but I had to see what exactly was shown just to have an answer for Schultz
So what you're trying to say is all non moderators should put catweazel on their Foe list, correct? :lol:

Return to “Open Chat”