Update BIOS without Windows? <SOLVED>

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Update BIOS without Windows?

Post by phd21 »

HI "jimallyn", "Neil Edmond", and anyone else interested,

1.) I just created a CD of the Hiren's CD, and I too could not get the Mini Windows XP to come up on my ancient computer hardware, but that does not mean it won't for you.

2.) There is also a project called "Ultimate Boot CD". There are two versions of this, see link below. The one that unfortunately has been discontinued called "UBCD4Win (UBCD for Windows)" has a version of Win XP PE which also should work. I have provided a link below to my file of "UBCD4Win", which I just tested and it works.

"UBCD" Forum info
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/vi ... =19&t=2864

I have had trouble locating the "UBCD4Windows.iso" file to download, so I created one from my CD, click the link below to get it. Anyone should be able to run a window only bios update, or check disk (chkdsk), and other stuff from this as well. You could also create the iso file, if you wanted...

For MS windows only Bios type updates, format a USB stick as fat32 and copy the bios file(s) to that (the ".exe", and or the flash update utility and the bios file too), boot to UBCD4Win and click menu start key and, select "run", click "browse" and browse to the drive of the USB stick and select the bios update program file. On my system the USB stick showed up as "C>" drive because I do not have any MS Windows partitions on my system.

MY Download link to "UBCD4Windows.iso" file
https://mega.nz/#!CsZEWZwA!BDjOtyUcR_-M ... oZP3w2EDzM

Hope this helps ...
ubcd4win.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Update BIOS without Windows?

Post by phd21 »

Hi "jimallyn",

Well that is great news ... Glad it worked for you...

I just created another reply when I saw your recent reply...

And, I just found this too

MediCat DVD: A Multiboot Linux DVD with a Mini Windows 10 Pe edition.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/medicat-dvd ... vd.361577/
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Update BIOS without Windows? <SOLVED>

Post by jimallyn »

Thanks, phd21! Downloading all those tools now.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Open Chat”