Private messages

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
HACKNEYL

Private messages

Post by HACKNEYL »

Not sure if this is the correct place to post.
If net then sorry!

I am trying to send a Private Message to another forum member.
After submitting, it says the message has been sent successfully but it remains in the "Outbox" a day later.
My internet is running so no connection errors.
It is just a normal typed message with no attachments or funny stuff
I tried sending the same message again a day later also with no joy.

Any ideas,,,,???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
minitux

Re: Private messages

Post by minitux »

I have never sent PM since I am create the account, but I think that as in other forums it remains in outbox until it is read
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

minitux wrote:I think that as in other forums it remains in outbox until it is read
I'm reasonably certain that's correct.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

minitux wrote:it remains in outbox until it is read
Yep.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
HACKNEYL

Post by HACKNEYL »

Great! Thanks!
OS_Researcher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OS_Researcher »

It will remain in your outbox until the recipient reads it.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

OS_Researcher wrote:It will remain in your outbox until the recipient reads it.
And on that note, if you delete it from your outbox before the recipient reads it, they will only see "This message was removed by the author" instead of the private message you sent, and will then have to message you to ask that you resend the original message. :mrgreen:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the thing about PMs is that you never really know, when the OP will log-in again,
or even notice that there is a PM waiting to be read.

- I've had both scenarios, and the PM sat in the Outbox for a Week, or longer,
and the other, I'd deleted after a Month of sitting in the Outbox & so deleted that PM.
& a another Month later, PMed me to ask what the message was about.
:?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

But why? If you mail a letter to someone and they don't pull it out of the mailbox for two weeks, it's not YOUR mailbox that they eventually have to open in order to access it.

I was under the impression that email works much the same way.

Why, then, keep a PM that you've sent to someone else in your own outbox? After sending, it should be in the sender's Sent Items box (the clue is in its name :roll: ) and in the recipient's inbox.

This is a bug in the forum software, as evidenced by mentions in this very thread that if you send a PM to another user, then come back and delete it from your outbox, the intended recipient never receives it.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
But why?
Because PM != email.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

catweazel wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote:
But why?
Because PM != email.
I know that a PM is not the same thing as an email(*), but that doesn't answer my question.

(*)I am assuming that "!=" is some kind of code for "is not the same thing as." If this is not the case, please clarify your statement (and please be less unclear next time).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

Because the forum software (phpBB) implemented PMs exactly like this. This is not a bug.

You also seem to have a misconception of how PMs work: in the end, they are just one entry in a SQL table for PMs. They never get "transfered" or "transmitted" or whatever like eMails do. They stay at they very same spot in their table. The only thing, which changes, is a flag indicating if it was read (and other stuff, of course). Depending on this flag the PM is displayed in various locations on both senders and recipent side.

Maybe it could have been labeled better in phpBB, but you can always complain to them and/or make new suggestions :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MtnDewManiac wrote:please be less unclear next time
*PLONK*

Return to “Open Chat”